Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
The newest Humble Bundle has Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy in it so I snagged it. I've been wanting to try this out for quite some time now, especially with the Pogostick (similar concept) game that just came out, so it was a perfect time for this to get included in a bundle.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Prepare to want to break everything. :laugh:

I tried playing it, played it for like 45 minutes and could barely get anywhere in the game. It's so punishing too, you can get close to the end and one bad move will send you literally back to the beginning. I'll never understand the appeal to these ultra challenging bad controls games that seem to have become a popular niche genre.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Halo Trilogy coming to the windows store, may have to make my first windows store purchase (outside of the 1 dollar xbox gamepass deals they have).

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Prepare to want to break everything. :laugh:

I tried playing it, played it for like 45 minutes and could barely get anywhere in the game. It's so punishing too, you can get close to the end and one bad move will send you literally back to the beginning. I'll never understand the appeal to these ultra challenging bad controls games that seem to have become a popular niche genre.
Yeah I have already had something similar to me. I made it up a bit past where the grill was, and then accidentally flung myself to the very start of the game :laugh::cry:

I don't have the mental fortitude to play Getting Over It.
I think I can do it mostly because I already know I'll continue to mess up, but that I know I can get there to the end.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam. The Epic Games Store has been trying to buy up exclusives, but Steam just got a big one over them here (although it's still also on MS Store).

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, 4 and Reach all coming to PC. Can't wait to play all those games again!

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Phoenix Point was kickstarted and advertised as having a GoG or Steam key available. They're willing to refund people who are unhappy with the change. I know the numbers are never going to be publicized but I wonder how many people are going to want refunds.

Epic has done a really quick job at making themselves hated but this year has been rather odd with some big companies doing some shitty things. *cough* Bethesda *cough* And I mean, EA continuing to be EA. I'm still waiting to see how they f*** up Apex Legends. I'm oddly enough rooting for EA at this point, hoping Apex dethrones Fortnite so Epic has less money to throw at developers but I think their pockets are too deep at this point.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm getting pretty sick of the Epic exclusives.

Again, I don't have anything against Epic. I understand the series of reasons why a developer would want to use the Epic store, from revenue share to store curation. As a consumer, though, it's restrictive.

I'm really tired of the videos and articles saying this is all good for consumers. Exclusives are, by definition, anti-competitive for consumers.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if a game goes Epic exclusive, ill acquire it elsewhere. its a shame since I wanted to support Phoenix Point but nope

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
They even original said Linux support, well that's entirely gone now as well since Epic doesn't support it.

What a shit show. The image to below screams "f*** you got mine" out of this, not giving a real shit about the customers as a whole.

h85ndar19vl21.png

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
They even original said Linux support, well that's entirely gone now as well since Epic doesn't support it.

What a **** show. The image to below screams "**** you got mine" out of this, not giving a real **** about the customers as a whole.

h85ndar19vl21.png
Mega Y I K E S

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

What a **** show. The image to below screams "**** you got mine" out of this, not giving a real **** about the customers as a whole.

h85ndar19vl21.png

I mean, at least they are offering refunds to their backers....but wow that paints a poor image.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Wasn't Phoenix Point a Fig thing not kickstarter?

Wonder how the people in line to get a cut back feel about them knee capping their sales so the company can be "in the black" :laugh:. Cause I'd imagine the latter doesn't help the investor level types in Fig very much. I believe those benefit from SALES not the continued existence of the company. Related but not the same.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
There's a post on Reddit talking about that. There's an article stating they already raised $2million+ and after that comment, it means Epic is guaranteeing the Phoenix Point devs at least $2 million.

The odd thing is that they're not even getting paid up front. It's more of a guarantee from Epic stating you'll make at least $X in sales or we'll make up the difference. I think this opens up a whole new can of worms since A) who knows how ironclad this contract is, without the money up front, Epic could potentially slide in some slimy clause that could allow them to back out and essentially bankrupt these devs. And if this is the offer being made, I feel like it'll be like when early access was first a thing and was a cancer on Steam of people just pushing out ideas for easy sales and then dropping support. Who's to say there won't be devs out there that will come out with a good idea and a good promo video, then make their pitch to Epic, then just stop supporting it knowing they'll get their money.

I get that kind of money is really tempting but if I was a dev, I wouldn't sell anything as an exclusive saying "you'll make at least $X or we'll pay you the difference in X years." I'd only want the money up front if I was going to go that route since I know I'd have the money in hand.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm kind of (but honestly, not really) surprised at how willing devs are to really piss off their consumer base by making these changes.

I know it's a minor thing, but I just won't buy games that are Epic exclusives. I have an enormous backlog as it is that I continue to pour more and more games into and if I have to wait 1-2 years to play Metro Exodus or Phoenix Point, that's fine. Just makes it easier for me to choose to wait until it's deeply discounted.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I read about the Steam Link anywhere thing yesterday. Is that available to the public yet? It sounds like you just need to download the beta build on your Steam Link and you can stream anywhere.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
anyone here played Slapshot on Steam? its so simple and dumb yet so fun. free too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad