Stay out of the crease

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Goalies...any other dirty tricks? This guy deserved what he got, but I wish I had something else to use. I was going to empty my water bottle on his head but I didn't have time.

Well, this is not really a dirty trick, but if you have someone standing in the crease, wait for the shot out at the point to take place. Once the point man starts to gear up for that slap shot, move out so your leg pad clips his leg and he fall down in front of the shot. Trust me, he will not stand in front again. Even if the shot doesn't hit him, he will feel the air of the puck as it flies past his head.

The referee will not give you a call if you are coming out to cut down the angle and the guy is in your crease. It works for me!

Head coach

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
If it isn't obvious to you by reading this thread...goaltenders don't care if you skate in the crease. Goaltenders care if they're interfered with while you do so.

Don't tell me what you know is BS. As a referee, I tell goaltenders nearly every game to leave the forwards alone if they're not interfering with them, and the answer is "but he's in my crease" every time.

respect isnt earned just by putting on the stripes. It is that "holier than thou" attitude that puts most people off refing crews.

In minor hockey, respect is earned just by putting the stripes on. Parents and coaches need to know their roles and teach their kids (players) their roles as well. Their roles are NEVER to go after the young officials calling their games. If they have a problem, it is up to parents and coaches to act like adults and use proper channels to communicate their issues. Those channels are NOT going after the officials.

Just a couple weeks ago as I was getting ready for a game, two 13 year-olds finishing the prior game came into the room and some old guy (I assume a grandparent) tried to follow them in, demanding to know their names, so he could "make sure you get what's coming to you". I had to step in before one of the younger officials buckled under his pressure and tell the old guy to take a hike. He tried to push me out of the way, so I slammed the door in his face. The garbage that goes on in minor hockey arenas across North America is disgusting, and although I won't condone it, it's only a matter of time until an official snaps and decides to return some of that abuse.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Don't tell me what you know is BS. As a referee, I tell goaltenders nearly every game to leave the forwards alone if they're not interfering with them, and the answer is "but he's in my crease" every time.

In minor hockey, respect is earned just by putting the stripes on. Parents and coaches need to know their roles and teach their kids (players) their roles as well. Their roles are NEVER to go after the young officials calling their games. If they have a problem, it is up to parents and coaches to act like adults and use proper channels to communicate their issues. Those channels are NOT going after the officials.

Just a couple weeks ago as I was getting ready for a game, two 13 year-olds finishing the prior game came into the room and some old guy (I assume a grandparent) tried to follow them in, demanding to know their names, so he could "make sure you get what's coming to you". I had to step in before one of the younger officials buckled under his pressure and tell the old guy to take a hike. He tried to push me out of the way, so I slammed the door in his face. The garbage that goes on in minor hockey arenas across North America is disgusting, and although I won't condone it, it's only a matter of time until an official snaps and decides to return some of that abuse.

Well said. At a local rink I usually did timekeeping, but one day I reffed a few games as a sub for someone who was out that day, and some of the crap that was said and heard turned me off the idea of refereeing completely.

Some parents just dont get the fact that its a game....

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
Looks like we have a lot of Ron Hextall wannabe's in this thread.

I'll give you a hint. I'm standing on the top of the crease all game, and there isn't **** all you can do about it. And if you wanna give me a cup check, guess whose going to the net extra hard the rest of the game, falling rather easily in front of the net when shoved towards you, and making sure that any D in front of the net are being shoved towards you?

And if you don't like that, then drop the OCD ****, realize that just because you can reach someone doesn't mean you should use your stick like a little *****, and suck it up. I'm not going to start **** with you, but if you wanna play that game... I'm all for it.

And I'm pretty sure I speak for most power forwards.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
As an "in the crease" type player I generally don't care what happens in front of the net as long as it is within reason. The only thing that pisses me off is when they try to smoke you down under, that is just asking for it.

What I find really effective is just to have only one defender on the guy, I've played teams that like to have people clearing the crease so they send both defensemen down low and my linemates get a ton of chances just because they use so many people.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
There is this strange thing in adult (non checking) hockey that the D and goalies think you can push, cross check, whatever the offense out of the way. That is interference. If the goalie pushes you it is a penalty.

There is no reminder, that is a penalty.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
There is this strange thing in adult (non checking) hockey that the D and goalies think you can push, cross check, whatever the offense out of the way. That is interference. If the goalie pushes you it is a penalty.

As a defenseman, you are allowed to push players out of the way, there's nothing wrong with that. I guess you should just let a guy stand right in front of your goalie and not do anything about it. If I'm playing offense and I stand in front of the goalie, there are plenty of times where I'll be on the ground before the play is over and the refs never call a penalty.

When I'm on D, I always work guys over and just push them and put my weight into them to try to clear the way for my goalie to see (Most guys tend to be bigger than me ;)). Sometimes if someone's chopping at my goalie I'll just shove em to the ground, refs don't call it.

As long as you're not crosschecking and punching they usually don't care. I usually only get one penalty per season if not less. I don't think I've ever played a season where I've gotten more than one penalty.

Last edited:

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida

It all depends on were you play.

I have played at several non checking leagues and there are some rinks that let you bump rub push players out of the way and some dont let any of that happen. Most of the refs that i have that i dont know i ask before the game so i dont sit half the game in the box.

I have seen refs call pens for lifting of the stick. stupid crap like that.

oh well it all depends on the refs and league. Usally higher league more stuff goes on because it will self police its self and lower league they call alot of hits so things dont get out of hand because most people cant skate very well and they dont want someone taking offense to what happend to them.

If you hit my goalie I hit you I dont care if I get 2 mins or not. you wont do it agian.
Checking or not you dont hit the goalie!!! plain and simple.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
As a defenseman, you are allowed to push players out of the way, there's nothing wrong with that. I guess you should just let a guy stand right in front of your goalie and not do anything about it. If I'm playing offense and I stand in front of the goalie, there are plenty of times where I'll be on the ground before the play is over and the refs never call a penalty.

When I'm on D, I always work guys over and just push them and put my weight into them to try to clear the way for my goalie to see (Most guys tend to be bigger than me ;)). Sometimes if someone's chopping at my goalie I'll just shove em to the ground, refs don't call it.

As long as you're not crosschecking and punching they usually don't care. I usually only get one penalty per season if not less. I don't think I've ever played a season where I've gotten more than one penalty.

Only one pen? Preachers son?

Good lord how do you not get pens?

I was suspended once for getting 7 pens in a game. we got smoked lol

member 30781

Just look at how Hexy used to play. No one will mess with you if you use this technique:

Pay particular attention to 3:52

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
As a defenseman, you are allowed to push players out of the way, there's nothing wrong with that.
No you are not.
Just because they don't call it and let you do it does not make it legal.

As a defenseman, you are allowed to push players out of the way, there's nothing wrong with that. I guess you should just let a guy stand right in front of your goalie and not do anything about it.
Ya pretty much.
Try to block the shot? Try to prevent a quality shot?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
No you are not.
Just because they don't call it and let you do it does not make it legal.

Maybe they don't call it because it is legal? Check the rules and standards of play for USAH, using the body in front of the net is legal to push opponents around.

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
Forwards are not invincible in front of the net. They don't have a free pass. Defencemen can battle for position with them. The only crackdown in front of the net is stickwork. If you cross check the forward in any way, shape or form (I see the rake down the back a lot), you should get a penalty. If your stick is between the forward's legs, it's your fault by rule if he falls down, thus a tripping penalty should be called. If you knock the forward down when the puck is not there, it's classic interference. Of course, all other rules are in play, but the aforementioned is what Hockey Canada has told us to be more attentive to in front of the net.

Other than that, battle away!

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I am aware that stuff is let go in the spirit of what the game is. There is a distinct difference between what the OP (and others) is saying/asking and what the real rules are.

CheeseSandwich*

People in beer leagues that pretend they are in the NHL by wanting to start fights and acting like Hextall/Emery are losers.

It's for fun, I don't want to get hurt or hurt someone, I just want to get some exercise.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I am aware that stuff is let go in the spirit of what the game is. There is a distinct difference between what the OP (and others) is saying/asking and what the real rules are.
Please, enlighten us. You seem to have a special grasp of all things hockey.:yo:

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007

The rules do not forbid all contact in front of the net. If you want citation, it is clear what is and is not acceptable in front of the net on Hockey Canada's DVD of the new standard from the 06-07 season. Battling for position is acceptable. If you can find it, you can see for yourself.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
running the goalie is part of the game

Hey, if your not skilled enough to beat the goalie clean you might as well try to hurt them, take em out of the game, right? Coaches who continue to instruct their players to run the goalie are NOT playing nor teaching the game with in the rules. Players who believe this is part of the game are very unsporting and deserve the serious beat down they will get for pulling such a stunt. The last guy who ran me left a few of his chicklets on the ice. Hope he had dental coverage.

Here is a link to the standards for Hockey Canada:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/22388/la_id/1.htm

And for USA HOCKEY:

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=AU&id=28274

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad