Stay out of the crease

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
I was playing today and there was this guy who pissed me off from like 2 minutes in- he gets a breakaway and decides to fire a slapper at my face from like 5 feet away. Within 10 minutes, the same exact thing happened. I was livid.

He then decided to get a little too comfortable inside my crease. First I politely reminded him with the back of my blocker but he kept doing it. So I hooked him pretty badly which caused him to get mad and start jabbing at my pads/gloves/mask with his stick. Thats when I started jabbing the back of his leg with my stick, and he finally stopped- presumably because it was starting to hurt.

Goalies...any other dirty tricks? This guy deserved what he got, but I wish I had something else to use. I was going to empty my water bottle on his head but I didn't have time.

I'm assuming you are playing in a beer league (if you're an adult) or minor hockey (if you're under 18). Either way, you're both stupid, but you're the only one who broke any rules.

Which part? Basically, everything stated here is illegal. Man in the crease, slashing at the goalie, and goalie slashing a player. Slapshots to the goalies head are part of the game.

No, slapshots to the head are not part of the game, but it would have to be the most obvious attempt to judge as an attempt to injure. If he appears to be going in trying to score a goal, there isn't much a referee can do about it.

You're also wrong about standing in the crease being illegal, at least under Hockey Canada rules. A player can stand in the crease all he wants. His team just cannot legally score a goal if he's there before the puck. That's what I don't understand with goaltenders. Let the dumbass stand there. If the puck goes in, it doesn't count.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
When I play forward, I am the one in front of the net. I am careful not to obstruct the goalie but because I'm 5'10 chances are I screen them completely.

When I play defense, I clear people out. If they don't move, I give them a friendly reminder.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
No, slapshots to the head are not part of the game, but it would have to be the most obvious attempt to judge as an attempt to injure. If he appears to be going in trying to score a goal, there isn't much a referee can do about it.

You're also wrong about standing in the crease being illegal, at least under Hockey Canada rules. A player can stand in the crease all he wants. His team just cannot legally score a goal if he's there before the puck. That's what I don't understand with goaltenders. Let the dumbass stand there. If the puck goes in, it doesn't count.

Slapshots to the head happen all the time, and in this case, with a player on a breakaway, it's most definitely a part of the game. How you could even think to justify any shot at a goalie in a game as an attempt to injure is ridiculous.

And, I'm not wrong about the crease violation. Hockey Canada does not have a world governing body, nor do you.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Retailiating gets me off my game, so I just suck it up. There are two things other goalies have mentioned to me which are pretty brutal. One is to do a pad stack and trip the guy. The other is a cup check. Neither should be done except as a last resort.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Assuming this is adult hockey, you should not be looking to retaliate to legal play. This is a game that he is playing WITH you.

He can stand where he wants, it is his job to try to put the puck in the net. It is your job to stop the puck.

I love it when goalies get upset with me in front of the net and start acting dumb. The puck always ends up in the net when they do that because they aren't thinking.

If you feel the guy actually shot at your head, whisper your concern to the ref. It is possible he is just a bad shot or a teenager (They love to shoot high)

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I appreciate everyones input. Most people had some good ideas, except that whole poke check thing. I played again today, and I learned a couple of things...

1. I have a bad temper. This doesn't seem to throw me off my game as much as you would thing, but will eventually result in me taking a penalty if I don't do something about it.

2. My defense is slow and old. They are fowards who weren't fast enough to play with the other guys. I am destined to face ten or more breakaways a day. I can't even be mad about it. Plus its a beer league and about having fun. So whatever.

3. I charged a guy today on a breakaway. I did not pull a hasek/gaborik though...his head was down and I came out pretty far and did a diving poke check. Just to see if it would work. It did, and he didn't fall. Great success.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
LOL, tell your D to stop pinching and they won't get burned as much and to play more aggressive in front of the net. Nothing wrong with shoving a guy who's standing in front of you as long as he isn't crosschecking the guy. Whenever I play D, that's what I always do, I use my gloves and shove the guys. Of course being small and many of these guys being big they are hard to move, but sometimes I shove them on the ground and others I disrupt them enough so they don't bother the goalie or can't get the rebounds if there is a shot. If I can get a footing on them I'm usually able to prevent them from screening my goalie. Refs almost never call that kind of stuff, at least not in my league. As long as you don't use your stick or kill the guy in front of the net it should be no problem.
If your D doesn't want to get physical in front of the net, find a new team ;).

Last edited:

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
1. I have a bad temper. This doesn't seem to throw me off my game as much as you would thing, but will eventually result in me taking a penalty if I don't do something about it.

If I may give you a drop of advice on how to handle this...

Make sure you are playing to make friends.

This sounds selfish, but it isn't really.
Stop trying to win and start focusing on your own play. Play to improve your body, improve your skills, and to make friends. Compete with yourself and not with other players.

If you challenge yourself to play hockey better, you will win more but you will not be as stressed, angry or whatever it is. The challenge is not to beat someone else, it is to have a good time. :)

BladesOfTeal

Dec 7, 2006
Davis, CA
Another little trick I've pulled once or twice-

If the forward is close enough to the crease and there is sustained pressure, when the puck goes to the point, come out aggressively and hinge your arm on his chest as you drag your leg, effectively slew-footing the player.

If you are inconspicuous enough, you'll never be called.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
ill stay out of the crease if you guys are fair game OUTSIDE of the crease.
all in favour?

You'll stay out of the crease because that's the rule.

And we aren't fair game outside of the crease because, once again, that's the rule.

Last edited:

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
You'll stay out of the crease because that's the rule.

And we aren't fair game outside of the crease because, once again, that's the rule.

there isnt really a rule to stay OUT of the crease.. do we get a penalty for skating in it? no.
players go in the crease ALL the time and you guys go outside of the creasee.
so to fix this, you guys are fair game outside of the crease and we'll stop going in the crease.
why should we stop going in the crease, but you guys can play the puck and not be fair game? come on here i dont think so.

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
Me being a sneaky little *******, when a guys comes close to my goalie, I grab his knee and pick it up. Now honestly Ive only done this once, but I did it for a good ten seconds without getting called, and got him to take a penalty.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
there isnt really a rule to stay OUT of the crease.. do we get a penalty for skating in it? no.

You get a penalty for interfering with the goalie while you're in the crease. I'm glad to help your further understanding of the sport; please let me know if you need anything else.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
You get a penalty for interfering with the goalie while you're in the crease. I'm glad to help your further understanding of the sport; please let me know if you need anything else.

umm did you read waht isaid?
do you GET A PENALTY FOR SKATING IN THE CREASE? no you dont. if you interfere with the goalie yes. if your pushed in then no you dont. noone says you always interfere with the goalie every time your in the crease. do you want me to inform you of anythign else?

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
In november I took a slash off the head while playing goal. The player was in the crease and the ref never called a penalty. Actually, he asked me what i'd been drinking when I got up. I've had post concussion since december now. My advice for all goalies: If a player is in your crease, take him out. Or get one of your D to. They know when they get into the crease what may happen. I've had now, a broken collar bone off a close salpshot, broken wrist from crashing the crease, a cracked tailbone from getting slew footed in the crease. I'm the bloody goalie. Its them or you.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
umm did you read waht isaid?
do you GET A PENALTY FOR SKATING IN THE CREASE? no you dont. if you interfere with the goalie yes. if your pushed in then no you dont. noone says you always interfere with the goalie every time your in the crease. do you want me to inform you of anythign else?

Keep fighting the good fight, dude. Semantic games are the best. Rock on!

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
Slapshots to the head happen all the time, and in this case, with a player on a breakaway, it's most definitely a part of the game. How you could even think to justify any shot at a goalie in a game as an attempt to injure is ridiculous.

And, I'm not wrong about the crease violation. Hockey Canada does not have a world governing body, nor do you.

Where did I say HC has a "world governing body". My comment was perfectly clear that I was speaking under HC rules.

And no, slapshots to the head don't happen "almost all the time". The point of a shot is to score a goal, not hit a goaltender in the head. Sometimes it happens, but when you wind up from that close in and aim for his head, it is an attempt to injure, especially in beer league hockey.

Keep fighting the good fight, dude. Semantic games are the best. Rock on!

What semantics? He clearly stated that there is no rule against skating in the crease. At least in Canada (where he is judging by th flag in his profile), there isn't. You responded that there is a rule and identified goaltender interference as a penalty you can get while in the crease, and while that is true, it has nothing to do with his statement about skating in the crease. You then made a sarcastic comment about what you saw as a lack of understanding of the sport on his part. You made no sense.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
The problem with letting a player even marginally occupy the crease would be the part about relying on hte REF to See the violation or Just do their job. Under USA rules, the player can skate through but can not occupy. Crease violation means a whistle and face off out in neutral.

Crease paint fade, Ref locations and the odd ref who feel that the crease violation rule shouldnt be on hte books, means a goalie can not count on that goal being disallowed. One was scored on my Son in this past weekends league championships. The Ref who failed to see this or call it is scheduled to work nationals and is very experienced.

bottom line NEVER COUNT ON THE REF TO DO THEIR JOB. it is pure folly.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
What semantics? He clearly stated that there is no rule against skating in the crease.

If it isn't obvious to you by reading this thread...goaltenders don't care if you skate in the crease. Goaltenders care if they're interfered with while you do so.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
In the NHL, There is no rule against skating in the crease and a goal can be scored while a man is in the crease.

If you accidentally bump the goalie, there is no penalty
If you accidentally block the goalie from making a save, or bump the goalie preventing the save, there is no penalty, the goal is just waved off.

I can't find the USA Hockey rule, where is it? I know in our league they blow the whistle for occupying it as well but I am not sure what that means.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Here is the USA Hockey Rule

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who, by means
of his stick or his body, interferes with or impedes the
movements of the goalkeeper by actual physical contact,
while he is in his goal crease unless the puck is already in
the crease.

And

When the puck is in the Attacking Zone and not in the goal
crease, a player of the attacking team may not stand on the
goal crease line or in the goal crease, hold his stick in the
goal crease or skate through the goal crease. If the puck
should enter the goal while such a condition prevails, a goal
shall not be allowed. For violation of this rule, while the
attacking team has possession of the puck, play shall be
stopped and a face-off held at the nearest Neutral Zone faceoff
spot.
(Note) This rule shall not apply when the goalkeeper is out
of his goal crease.

None of this has anything to do with the OP Though :)

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Hockey Canada rule

A Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty shall be assessed any player who charges a goaltender while the goaltender is within the crease or who injures an opponent as a result of a charge.

Note: A goaltender is not "fair game" just because he is outside the goal area. A penalty for interference (Minor orm at the discretion of the Referee, Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty) shall be called where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goaltender. Likewise, Referees should be alert to penalize goaltenders for tripping, slashing, or spearing in the vicinity of the goal.

for us canadians here..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad