Stay out of the crease

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I was playing today and there was this guy who pissed me off from like 2 minutes in- he gets a breakaway and decides to fire a slapper at my face from like 5 feet away. Within 10 minutes, the same exact thing happened. I was livid.

He then decided to get a little too comfortable inside my crease. First I politely reminded him with the back of my blocker but he kept doing it. So I hooked him pretty badly which caused him to get mad and start jabbing at my pads/gloves/mask with his stick. Thats when I started jabbing the back of his leg with my stick, and he finally stopped- presumably because it was starting to hurt.

Goalies...any other dirty tricks? This guy deserved what he got, but I wish I had something else to use. I was going to empty my water bottle on his head but I didn't have time.

FiveHole23

Dec 13, 2007
Sounds like your the stupid one for standing 5 feet front of him while he has time to wind up for a slapper.

Heres a trick try a poke check.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
.....shhhhh

anyways... I find jabs in the back of the knee hurt most and get the point across much quicker without looking like you deserve a penalty from the ref. you could hook him "down low" but thats taking it kinda far and would warrant a penalty. he'll get the point the other way.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
The jab to the back of the knee works, as does a cup check. I'm pretty lucky, my d-men are pretty good about keeping guys out of my crease and they are pretty quick to knock guys on their ***** if they come hacking at my glove after the whistle.

A couple months ago I had a guy fire a slap shot from the hash marks on a breakaway, he ended up missing the net high. A few shifts later, I went to play the puck and he was coming at me, so I fired it at his face (he was wearing a full cage, if he wasn't I never would have done it). He got the point and made sure to apologize to me after the game.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
I was playing today and there was this guy who pissed me off from like 2 minutes in- he gets a breakaway and decides to fire a slapper at my face from like 5 feet away. Within 10 minutes, the same exact thing happened. I was livid.

He then decided to get a little too comfortable inside my crease. First I politely reminded him with the back of my blocker but he kept doing it. So I hooked him pretty badly which caused him to get mad and start jabbing at my pads/gloves/mask with his stick. Thats when I started jabbing the back of his leg with my stick, and he finally stopped- presumably because it was starting to hurt.

Goalies...any other dirty tricks? This guy deserved what he got, but I wish I had something else to use. I was going to empty my water bottle on his head but I didn't have time.

I've had that before. Broke my collar bone. I'd say back of the knees is really effective. If they really get on your nerves, try aiming at the kidneys or as close as you can get.

ashleesimpson<3*

Slash him in the back of the head

I almost did that monday the team we were playing was such low class, we lost our number player for the rest of the season and our second best player and leading goal scorer is out tonight probably with an ankle injury. and every shift i was run. and this is house hockey...

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
I almost did that monday the team we were playing was such low class, we lost our number player for the rest of the season and our second best player and leading goal scorer is out tonight probably with an ankle injury. and every shift i was run. and this is house hockey...

Sometimes the best thing to do is just drop the gloves and take liberty at the guy or guys who have been running you. i played both goalie and defense and it does work but you will end up with a penalty.

NotBad*

I prefer the one hand slash across the guys inside ankle... or a cup check from behind... But be aware that when he drops it may just be you and him in the zone and its kinda hard not to get a penalty.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
As being a foward and usally camping out in front of a crease the things that get my attention is a slash in the knees. But not hard enough to hurt the guy but enough to say "hey a hole get out of here" Another thing next time they come to skate in front of you step up in your crease jab at there skate with your stick and trip him.

Sometimes you will have to take a pen but they wont do it agian I promise I have had it happen to me plenty of times.

I use to take the beatings then when the D men takes the shot I use to tap the goalies skate with my stick to get em off balance that does the trick and usally I dont get caught.

But last night in my A league game a guy buzzed my goalie and slapped at his glove when the puck was in the air. So me being not scared to get rough stuff going cross checked the guy in the ribs hard and started a huge fight. I was booted got a 5 min for cross checking and 5 for fighting a 10 min misconduct and a game so 30 mins in pens right there but needless to say they didnt come near the goalie the rest of the game.

You should have you defensemen take a couple of pens just to let these guys its not okay to touch you. I will always protect my goalie even if my goalie started it and I feel bad for whom ever would go near him.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Pesonally, I like the to slash the ankle with the back edge of the heel. I prefer to get the outside of the ankle rather than the inside. Depending on where the guy is camped you can turn and really get some power into the slash while it looks like your just "leading" with your stick. It hurts them a lot more than any slash to the inside of the ankle. Mind you USE THE EDGE of the stick, not the flat! He wont be skating full power the rest of the game. Get a good enough slash in and he wont be putting skates back on for a few days....

I am not a fan of going for a knee, back side or other wise. Thats just plain dirty and as a goalie turn about being fair play, your at more risk.

Dude, you wear a full cage. Getting caged should be no biggie. Its an easy save and for me it tends to put me right into the "zone". I ask my guys to lift their shots in warm ups so I can get a few in the cage right off the bat!

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
As being a foward and usally camping out in front of a crease the things that get my attention is a slash in the knees. But not hard enough to hurt the guy but enough to say "hey a hole get out of here" Another thing next time they come to skate in front of you step up in your crease jab at there skate with your stick and trip him.

Sometimes you will have to take a pen but they wont do it agian I promise I have had it happen to me plenty of times.

I use to take the beatings then when the D men takes the shot I use to tap the goalies skate with my stick to get em off balance that does the trick and usally I dont get caught.

But last night in my A league game a guy buzzed my goalie and slapped at his glove when the puck was in the air. So me being not scared to get rough stuff going cross checked the guy in the ribs hard and started a huge fight. I was booted got a 5 min for cross checking and 5 for fighting a 10 min misconduct and a game so 30 mins in pens right there but needless to say they didnt come near the goalie the rest of the game.

You should have you defensemen take a couple of pens just to let these guys its not okay to touch you. I will always protect my goalie even if my goalie started it and I feel bad for whom ever would go near him.

Thats one thing a goalie should always do is tell your defenseman that someone is in your "area" and you want his ass taken out. i had a coach in juniors tell me over and over again he steps one foot in that crease or bothers the netminder you take him out but i usally just gave numerous cross checks in his back.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Sounds like your the stupid one for standing 5 feet front of him while he has time to wind up for a slapper.

Heres a trick try a poke check.

Five feet away...too far for a poke especially if the goalie has started to retreat. It takes a lot more time to plant and attack than for a player to get a slapper off particularly if the shooter has any skill and doesnt wind up above the waist. Might work in C league play....

FiveHole23

Dec 13, 2007
Five feet away...too far for a poke especially if the goalie has started to retreat. It takes a lot more time to plant and attack than for a player to get a slapper off particularly if the shooter has any skill and doesnt wind up above the waist. Might work in C league play....

I think you are over estimating 5 feet.

Think about how long the stick is and think about how long your reach is. Now think about how far 5 feet is.

I understand where you are coming from but you would hardly need to plant in order to reach 5 feet. My bet is the poster said the guy was closer than he really was.

And your shot at me "Might work in C league play" tell me how many slappers do people get to wind up 5 feet from the goal in whatever league you play in?

So yea it would work in C league play.

xdcx

Feb 13, 2008
Good advice from the other guys here about the jabs to the back of the knees and stuff, I'll be watching out for goalies doing this to me now.

But like you said about him taking jabs at your pads and mask and stuff, have a word with your D, make sure they pick that sort of stuff up and get them protecting you from this sort of thing and letting these guys know they don't want to mess with their goalie :)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Dirty? Shhh.. don't tell.

Stand in your butterfly and if he has your back to you, take your goal stick blade and put it on the very botton of his skate and press hard. He'll fly head over heels flat on his back while you stand there and act like nothing happend.

;)

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Is he breaking the rules?

Which part? Basically, everything stated here is illegal. Man in the crease, slashing at the goalie, and goalie slashing a player. Slapshots to the goalies head are part of the game.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I didn't have my tape measure out. It may have been slightly more than 5 feet. Notice the word "like" in that sentence.

I'm aware of what a poke check is. You should be aware that if you go for a poke check and miss, its pretty much a guaranteed goal if he has any hockey skills whatsoever. Maybe I should have pulled a Hasek and just charged him, but my technique wasn't the purpose of the post to begin with.

And no, he didn't break any rules until he started jabbing at me. Still, who fires point blank slapshots at a goalies head on a breakaway? Its not like I was in the butterfly or anything, I was in a ready position and those shots would probably have gone high. Getting hit in the head sucks, but its not like it hurt me.

I just wanted to get some input on some dirty tricks to use in the future for clowns like this. Also, my goal is NOT to hurt the guy- I'm not going to take out his legs or take off my skates and try to stab him with them (ala happy gilmore) just a way to send the message.

K-PAX*

You need defenseman. I'll gladly take some wacks from goalie if it means standing in front of him and setting up a screen. Take that all day.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think you are over estimating 5 feet.

Think about how long the stick is and think about how long your reach is. Now think about how far 5 feet is.

I understand where you are coming from but you would hardly need to plant in order to reach 5 feet. My bet is the poster said the guy was closer than he really was.

And your shot at me "Might work in C league play" tell me how many slappers do people get to wind up 5 feet from the goal in whatever league you play in?

So yea it would work in C league play.

I think 5 feet was a figure of speech. If the shooter was 5 feet away and hit the goalie's mask (about 5 feet 6 inches off the ice) with a slapshot, that's a pretty horrible shot.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I had a goalie get mad at me pretty mad last time I played open hockey. All game whenever I went to the net, this one defencemen would push me into the crease constantly. Which I'm more than okay with in a real game because a good reff won't blow the whistle if he see's me being pushed in, and all it does is help my cause of creating chaos in front of the net. But the goalie was giving me some shots.

Later on I had a break coming off the bench and was going to the net pretty hard at high speed, i had the defense put the stick into my midsection and pull me down on my ass. Went right into the goalies legs as he came out pretty far to challenge me. He yelled a bit at me when we both got up, and left 10 minutes later.

;) whatever, not my problem haha.

I say go for the kidneys.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
i hate getting pushed into the goalie and have the goalie slash me its stupid haha 99% of the team its the own teams fault that the goalie gets ran over every game.
my solution: come down the wing slap shot off the mask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad