Stay out of the crease

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Don't tell me what you know is BS.

You've got it - I promise that I won't tell you that what I know is BS.

And I've had an ACL torn because I went to two-pad stack to make a save and the guy standing in the crease got bowled over on top of my leg. If you're a referee, then you know why the crease is there, and you know exactly why goalies are touchy about the prospect of being interfered with.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
People in beer leagues that pretend they are in the NHL by wanting to start fights and acting like Hextall/Emery are losers.

It's for fun, I don't want to get hurt or hurt someone, I just want to get some exercise.

Agreed completely, but you need to realize that you're not the only type of player out there. You also get people like this:

running the goalie is part of the game

So do realize that just as there are goaltenders ruining the fun, there are also non-goaltenders ruining the fun.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Thank you for the links Mike.
Here is the official USA hockey statement:

Allowed Actions

* a player is entitled to the ice he/she occupies as long as they are able to maintain their own foot speed and body position between opponent and puck
* players are allowed to compete for body position using their strength and balance in front of the goal or along the boards

They are talking about 2 players competing for space that only fits one. They are not allowing stick work or "reminders" and certainly not what some believe is acceptable.

I always enjoy your posts Dr. (pads are too large though!), thanks

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
:D

Actually, I agree that pads are generally too large - and this is not entirely unrelated to the fact that I wear smaller pads because I feel that I gain an advantage by doing so. Granted, I play a different style than those goaltenders who focus on a butterfly technique, but I'm also in the corners with the puck a lot and my strengths lie in quickness and not so much in space-filling.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I also agree that pads are too large. Returning to the original 10" standard for width and further restriction on thigh rise will make it even easier for the elite goalies of today to further display just how weak and diluted the out player talent pool has become(NHL). They(goalies) will become even faster forcing a hybridization and further development of reaction and speed which would make watching the game even more exciting.

No more boring blocking only goalies. Its kind of crazy when you hear players talk about how great a goalie is when the guy doesnt even see the shots. He is just playing the angles and dropping. The goalie isnt that great...the out players are just that poor. :shakehead In the day a 50 goal scorer was the ideal. Now everyone gets excited about a 30 goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad