WJC: Statsy's WJC Pool: Year 6

FightingSioux

Aug 1, 2010
Kennewick, Washington
The good news is that the Russian backup will get a softy against Belarus that could be turned into a four pointer pretty easily. However, one of those three guys is going to end up the third goalie and get nothing. I had Oettinger last year and it killed my team as he sat in the press box for 7 games.

Although I took Berdin, I would later check the numbers from the Canada/Russia series and get reminded that Melnichuk was the one that stole the show. And I hate to say this, FS, but Sukhachyov was the guy that got lit up in that series. However, that event is but one piece of the puzzle and it could still play out with any of the three being "the guy". Guess we'll see. The battle in the American net should be interesting to watch, too.

Correct! I also agree with the USA net battle. I wanted Woll but missed my timeframe on a busy Saturday night. But what do you do! Ended up taking Fabbro, which is looking like I will need to replace

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I took Melnichuk because he was the most consistent at the Super Series last month. I also figured Sukhachyov's performance there would put him behind the others. Starter's still up to the pre-tournament games per Bragin, but I assumed Melnichuk arguably put himself in pole position there after those games.

I also gambled on Nylander being released. I took that risk knowing that I wasn't getting an ideal goalie at my next pick from my draft position. I wasn't going to bother with Woll or Skarek there either and resigned myself to Russian guesswork with my last pick. That could end poorly without a Nylander release and the real possibility of Melnichuk not getting into games. Melnichuk getting cut wouldn't be the worst thing either, as that's essentially a redo with added pre-tournament context, but I think third goalie is more likely than me catching some luck with goalies in a pool.

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Not fully sure how I feel about my team this year. I like all my picks, but I couldn't really get much from Sweden or Canada, and mid way through I had a pick from a buncha different teams. I was able to grab a few Fins in the end though to get me a few players on one team. Should be interesting to see how it Pans out

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
With the last pick of this year's draft, I am proud to select from Växjö Lakers HC, Sweden, defenseman Linus Högberg!

What a quick draft we had! Did not expect this. :D Which team do you like the most (besides yours one :P)? :)

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Hold on here...Tade took Woll for the US? Is there something I don't know about? I liked my team generally speaking until I saw this...that would kill me. Oettinger's NCAA numbers are better than Wolls in all categories but that doesn't matter. He was a gold medalist last year but didn't see the net, again that doesn't matter. I just hope I didn't miss something here...I really hope he's TADE a mistake!!!

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@Tomsburninghat Both Oettinger and Woll aren't in form heading into the pre-tournament games. They each have a sub-0.880 SV% in December, which isn't inspiring in a short tournament. Either could play their way into and/or out of games.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
So here's what you missed Tom; it's basically been understood that it would be a toss up between Oettinger and Woll all season with some saying the US could go with both and split the goaltending duties evenly. However, as Woodhouse pointed out, they've both struggled quite a bit recently which has prompted the management at USA Hockey to bring in a stud 19 year old, Jeremy Swayman, into camp to compete for a position, instead of just a young guy to merely get experience. Swayman has been lights out this year and if he's the best in camp, he could easily get the nod. It's also worth noting that in the direct competition between Oettinger and Woll, it was Woll that won the battle last year and actually played well in a pair of games, including being the winning goalie in the crushing pressure of the New Year's Eve Canada game. You are right to be concerned about Oettinger's chances at starter.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
As for the draft itself, great job guys! We seem to get quicker every year.

I took a look at all the teams and I'm not really sure who lines up the best. They all start looking like powerhouses (as they should due to those early round picks) but there is nobody that doesn't have some soft spots on their roster. As we've weighed in on quite a bit already, the goaltending decisions of some nations are going to be a huge factor in this pool. Guess we'll have to just wait and see!

Reactions: Khabby

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
Bellows and Norris baby!!! And how about that Raddysh?! The Oettinger situation is still a worry tho... I can switch him before the tourney starts now that all picks are in, right?

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Bellows and Norris baby!!! And how about that Raddysh?! The Oettinger situation is still a worry tho... I can switch him before the tourney starts now that all picks are in, right?

You can replace Oettinger if he gets cut, But for USA only Swayman is left

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
ONLY if he gets cut. I had Oettinger in the other pool last year and was stuck with him as the team's third goalie. That would be a cruel fate for him (and you) if it were to play out like that again.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
If you want to line up a replacement for Fabbro you can do that, and then if Fabbro is still good to go, then you just stick with Fabbro.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you want to line up a replacement for Fabbro you can do that, and then if Fabbro is still good to go, then you just stick with Fabbro.

But I believe if Fabbro is going to play but miss the first few games, he has to keep Fabbro? Since he wasn't cut or removed from the roster before the tournament

FightingSioux

Aug 1, 2010
Kennewick, Washington
But I believe if Fabbro is going to play but miss the first few games, he has to keep Fabbro? Since he wasn't cut or removed from the roster before the tournament

I can just leave it. I truly believe after reading a few things that Fabbro wont get cut but doesn't play a single game. I think they keep him just to "be nice". I didn't realize he was even injured when I made that selection. The only reason I brought up the topic is bc I'd rather have a few extra points from someone potentially, but I can just keep the Fabbro pick. No big deal.

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Since the cuts came after the draft and not during the draft, I believe it goes on a first come first serve basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad