WJC: Statsy's WJC Pool: Year 6

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We're drafting all the other players on their ability to get points. Whether they get some lucky ones or not, that's what we are drafting them for. Goalies are drafted for wins and shutouts.

Fair enough, solid point, I wouldn't say anyone drafted a goalie because they play on a high scoring team and thus may fluke some assists out of it, but you never know what the strategies can be around here where good puns are the main strategy when making picks :sarcasm:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Damn, I picked Hart for his offensive prowess. That's why I figured I didn't need any forwards until you made me pick some. I want to change my goalie pick :sarcasm:

More seriously, what's different between a fluke goalie pass secondary assist and a fluke random defenceman touching the puck in the defensive zone and getting a secondary assist out of it?
Check out my previous post.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Fair enough, solid point, I wouldn't say anyone drafted a goalie because they play on a high scoring team and thus may fluke some assists out of it, but you never know what the strategies can be around here where good puns are the main strategy when making picks :sarcasm:
This is the only pool where I have to fight the urge to take a different guy than I was planning on simply due to his name. :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We're drafting all the other players on their ability to get points. Whether they get some lucky ones or not, that's what we are drafting them for. Goalies are drafted for wins and shutouts.

So if Gustavsson skates out of his net dekes out two players and sends Andersson on a breakaway, that doesn't count?

Preposterous!

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
To bad the jets held on to their big scoring finnish draft pick this year. I would of Turk-u-laine-n I would of won the pool, but with the team I have now, I should have a Jerry Christmas all the same.

Ill take Jerry Turkulainen - FIN - F

So many Forwards left to pick, but I guess Ill take a gamble that he stays on the projected 2nd line.

@tade Back to you for the last pick!

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Weak year for Goalies but deep at forward.
Yes, probably weaker for goalies, but only because the starting position is up in the air for two top teams. Interestingly, Both Melnichuk and Sukhachyov went in this pool and I grabbed Berdin in the other pool. Further proof that nobody really knows what goes on in the mind of Valeri Bragin.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel like this has been one of the deepest drafts we've seen. So many good players left on the board.

Yep when I picked Blichfeld it was mostly out of disappointment that I couldn't have 1 of the other 6 or 7 guys I liked too. Still have like 4 or 5 guys in my pool that I'm sizing up how the camps go for when I use my replacement pick and that pool went 20 picks deeper.

Reactions: Statsy

FightingSioux

Aug 1, 2010
Kennewick, Washington
Yes, probably weaker for goalies, but only because the starting position is up in the air for two top teams. Interestingly, Both Melnichuk and Sukhachyov went in this pool and I grabbed Berdin in the other pool. Further proof that nobody really knows what goes on in the mind of Valeri Bragin.

I took Sukhachyov strictly bc he played a single game last year against Latvia. But the Russian goalie situation is a toss-up, IMO.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I took Sukhachyov strictly bc he played a single game last year against Latvia. But the Russian goalie situation is a toss-up, IMO.

someone did in my pool too, followed up by a couple angry posts about how he just learned Bragin had him as the Russia #3 and Berdin would probably start which prompted Statsy to pick Berdin. But I'm not certain where he got that information, everything I've seen tells me it's completely up in the air, I thought it would be Sukhachyov for the same reasons as you.

*I assume I'm good writing Berdin here despite not being picked because Statsy did and all the goalies have been picked barring injuries

Reactions: FightingSioux

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The good news is that the Russian backup will get a softy against Belarus that could be turned into a four pointer pretty easily. However, one of those three guys is going to end up the third goalie and get nothing. I had Oettinger last year and it killed my team as he sat in the press box for 7 games.

Although I took Berdin, I would later check the numbers from the Canada/Russia series and get reminded that Melnichuk was the one that stole the show. And I hate to say this, FS, but Sukhachyov was the guy that got lit up in that series. However, that event is but one piece of the puzzle and it could still play out with any of the three being "the guy". Guess we'll see. The battle in the American net should be interesting to watch, too.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Russia is always a weird team.. Bragin favors 19 year olds, harbors grudges against CHL players and there's little information available on Russian players from the different leagues.

Lipanov is a gamble for me, most coaches would play him with Svechnikov, but Bragin may not.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Russia is always a weird team.. Bragin favors 19 year olds, harbors grudges against CHL players and there's little information available on Russian players from the different leagues.

Lipanov is a gamble for me, most coaches would play him with Svechnikov, but Bragin may not.

Yeah that's why I was hoping Rubtsov would get the 1C duties with Kostin and Svechnikov because he's 19 unlike last year when he wasn't and got relegated to like 4th C duties. I had my eye on Lipanov as well but had him far enough down the list for those reasons that you got him first. Svechnikov and Kostin are also not 19 so who knows how much Bragin will rely on them too although he really should.

I also think Russia won't make the semis so that hurt my thoughts about picking many as that would be 2 less games, but you never know with Russia. Picked Safin too despite similar expectations with Czech Republic so it wasn't a complete dealbreaker.

And Sweden beat Denmark 13-1 in exhibition without their best players playing, and they're in the weaker pool. Yikes, maybe I should have picked more Swedes

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Exactly! My theory is that he prefers 19 year olds UNLESS they're phenoms. Svechnikov fits into that category, but I'm not so sure about Lipanov. He seems like the kind of guy that Bragin cuts every year. I hope I'm wrong.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah that's why I was hoping Rubtsov would get the 1C duties with Kostin and Svechnikov because he's 19 unlike last year when he wasn't and got relegated to like 4th C duties. I had my eye on Lipanov as well but had him far enough down the list for those reasons that you got him first. Svechnikov and Kostin are also not 19 so who knows how much Bragin will rely on them too although he really should.

I also think Russia won't make the semis so that hurt my thoughts about picking many as that would be 2 less games, but you never know with Russia. Picked Safin too despite similar expectations with Czech Republic so it wasn't a complete dealbreaker.

And Sweden beat Denmark 13-1 in exhibition without their best players playing, and they're in the weaker pool. Yikes, maybe I should have picked more Swedes
I had a plan of going heavy on Group B guys as it looked like the weaker pool. Naturally, I ended up with 7 guys from Group A. Way to stick to the plan, Statsy! :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Exactly! My theory is that he prefers 19 year olds UNLESS they're phenoms. Svechnikov fits into that category, but I'm not so sure about Lipanov. He seems like the kind of guy that Bragin cuts every year. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not too worried if he does get cut, I have so many forwards left over that I was debating at the same spot. If he does get cut, too, then the final roster will be out and I might be able to see who else they have playing in the top 6.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not too worried if he does get cut, I have so many forwards left over that I was debating at the same spot. If he does get cut, too, then the final roster will be out and I might be able to see who else they have playing in the top 6.
Definitely takes the pressure off.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I had a plan of going heavy on Group B guys as it looked like the weaker pool. Naturally, I ended up with 7 guys from Group A. Way to stick to the plan, Statsy! :laugh:

Yeah I tend to lean towards teams I expect to make the SF and a relegation guy or 2 because 6/7 games is better than 5. My pool I got exclusively guys like that, here I got a Russia and a Czech. Most of my guys were from group A because 3 of the teams I expect in the SF were from that group.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I select Unknown Scorer, SWE

Risky selection. He was good way back in the day when nobody cared to check who scored, and in exhibition games. But these days he tends to choke when the real tournament starts and put up no points so I'm afraid to tell you but I think that's a stupid pick :sarcasm:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Risky selection. He was good way back in the day when nobody cared to check who scored, and in exhibition games. But these days he tends to choke when the real tournament starts and put up no points so I'm afraid to tell you but I think that's a stupid pick :sarcasm:
Good point! He always peaks too early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad