Statistics Thread

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kostanjsak-Domagoj-13-1.jpg

Kostanjsak-Domagoj-14-1.jpg

Kostanjsak-Domagoj-15-1.jpg

This doesn't encompass all players, but still some pretty neat stuff.

Reactions: Blender

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Gabriel Barbosa (Gabigol) stands out. I wonder if he’ll give Europe another shot.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kostanjsak-Domagoj-13-1.jpg

Kostanjsak-Domagoj-14-1.jpg

Kostanjsak-Domagoj-15-1.jpg

This doesn't encompass all players, but still some pretty neat stuff.
The only thing that makes context difficult with these I'd say is that it is comparing people from all sorts of different leagues with different levels of quality. It's probably more useful in some cases for identifying how a player plays, rather than production you might expect in a different league.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The only thing that makes context difficult with these I'd say is that it is comparing people from all sorts of different leagues with different levels of quality. It's probably more useful in some cases for identifying how a player plays, rather than production you might expect in a different league.
I still think it can be useful when you adjust for the context of the competition they’re facing. But yes I agree that you can see more about how they play than maybe the end result with a good indication as to what their quality could be.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Just noticed LFC, Utd and Chelsea xPts this year difference is at most 3 pts. I suspect it could be a 4 team race as another poster alluded to.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’s interesting that people think viewing City as the favourites for next season is pushing some Liverpool underdog story. City’s underlying numbers are ridiculous and they’ll likely be even better next season while Liverpool overperformed. Now it’s likely because of Klopp’s style and the intensity of the team that they’ll over perform their ‘expected’ results again next season barring some kind of burnout (possible, happened at Dortmund) but I just don’t see how City can continue to underperform at the rate they did this season.

I think City will be the heavy, heavy favourites.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It’s interesting that people think viewing City as the favourites for next season is pushing some Liverpool underdog story. City’s underlying numbers are ridiculous and they’ll likely be even better next season while Liverpool overperformed. Now it’s likely because of Klopp’s style and the intensity of the team that they’ll over perform their ‘expected’ results again next season barring some kind of burnout (possible, happened at Dortmund) but I just don’t see how City can continue to underperform at the rate they did this season.

Manchester City didn't really under perform much statistically. Their xG was 102 and they scored 102 goals this year, their xGA was 37 and they allowed 35 goals this year. Their 81 points was 5 under their expected points of 86, so they slightly under performed in results. It's that Liverpool significantly over performed relative to expected stats.

Reactions: Cassano

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, why hasn't LFC burnt out this year why were they better this year than last? Oh a Klopp team coached with less talent burnout so, Liverpool must follow suit. lol

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So, why hasn't LFC burnt out this year why were they better this year than last? Oh a Klopp team coached with less talent burnout so, Liverpool must follow suit. lol
I don't know if "burnout" is the appropriate term here, and the comparison to Dortmund isn't really relevant, but with the compressed schedule and lack of break here with CL football going on between the end of the EPL season and the start of the next one I would expect a bit of a drop from them, especially when they statistically over performed this year.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Dortmund was really unlucky his last year there. They ended up finishing 7th though. I dont think it was burnout.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is that what anyone said? You get really weird about this subject. Nobody is saying they're going to burn out.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know if "burnout" is the appropriate term here, and the comparison to Dortmund isn't really relevant, but with the compressed schedule and lack of break here with CL football going on between the end of the EPL season and the start of the next one I would expect a bit of a drop from them, especially when they statistically over performed this year.
Yeah there are a lot of factors, and especially when you consider how Liverpool were winning a lot of their games this year it makes sense that there will be a dip unless they change that approach. Not off the table either because there were some significant differences even this year from last. The way that this season ended and going into next season will be a factor for sure especially with all the COVID related issues and short break between. As far as the burnout goes I think it's only natural when a coach expects 100% mental focus and intensity over a long period of time, especially with a large majority of the same players, it has a chance of becoming an issue. Again, if you look at the way Liverpool got a lot of their points this year it doesn't seem repeatable but I still think they're going to be the #2 team with a chance of taking the title again if City slip up. That's not some slight on Liverpool who I think are amazing and have amazing players, but in terms of talent and depth City are just better and Pep is very good coach.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Have to factor in that City will be so motivated too. They were treated just so so unfairly by UEFA as well. No one has been persecuted like Pep and the boys. Just a club that plays for the love of the game. :sarcasm:

Reactions: YNWA14

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I tend to agree but it goes for City too

It's going to be a difficult year for all teams, especially those that play in many competitions.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Is that what anyone said? You get really weird about this subject. Nobody is saying they're going to burn out.
You insinuated at least. Only thing that I have an issue with is that you insist on LFC being an underdog. Massive underdogs apparently. You want us to believe that back to back seasons are Liverpool punching above their weight class. How long do they have to be this way until you can stop this bs narrative of LFC being minnows.I get that it's LFC's mantra too be that unlikely hero or the feel good story but they aren't anymore. Have been an elite team and could easily win again. If you don't think they can you're either lying to yourself or not much of a fan. I mean even if you really believe city is a better team LFC are at least 2nd in the world. And not far off first.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You insinuated at least. Only thing that I have an issue with is that you insist on LFC being an underdog. Massive underdogs apparently. You want us to believe that back to back seasons are Liverpool punching above their weight class. How long do they have to be this way until you can stop this bs narrative of LFC being minnows.I get that it's LFC's mantra too be that unlikely hero or the feel good story but they aren't anymore. Have been an elite team and could easily win again. If you don't think they can you're either lying to yourself or not much of a fan. I mean even if you really believe city is a better team LFC are at least 2nd in the world. And not far off first.
So where has anything that I said contradicted this? I've said that Liverpool could win again. I've said that Liverpool are an elite team. Just because I think City are the favourites doesn't mean I think that Liverpool are minnows. You're arguing with yourself. Not much of a fan, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad