Statistical look at various defensemen (EDM/FA/trade targets)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The stats don't tell everything. However if a player has high ice time but garbage stats like Schultz and Ference you can tell they are overplayed as they don't suppress shots or really take shots.

Also aren't Seabrook and Weber more offensively dmen anyways?

Weber maybe... however he's usually considered to just be very good. Seabrook is more of a defensive/all around guy.

What's interesting is you go look at Letang's numbers (compared to those guys) - someone who many say is solely an offensive player. He was one of Pittsburgh's top guys who played a shutdown role whenever he was healthy and playing. And his shot suppression (along with everything else) is to the right of the graph. Subban's is the same.

Like I said... I don't think it's the be all end all. But I do think it could be a useful tool to use when discussing players.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So is Schultz.

All three of those guys have very similar charts but one of those does not seem to match up. Watching them gives insight, but then it leaves you wondering about the value of the charts.
I think the difference too is if you look at Ga/60 Schultz would skyrocket above them.

Guys like Weber probably don't prevent as many shots, they prevent the high quality shots and trust their Goalies to stop the lower ones.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I think the difference too is if you look at Ga/60 Schultz would skyrocket above them.

Guys like Weber probably don't prevent as many shots, they prevent the high quality shots and trust their Goalies to stop the lower ones.

Could be. Tough to say without more information.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ehrhoff - Klefbom
Green - Fayne
Nurse - Wiercioch

Could be a very obtainable and solid D core

Oduya - Wisnewski
Klefbom - Fayne
Ference - Schultz
Marcinin

OR

Klefbom - Green
Wiercioch - Fayne
Ference - Schultz/Marcinin

Or maybe you don't sign Oduya (who'll likely cost at least 4.5m-5m over 4-5 years) and you trade for Wiercioch or someone similar to play the 2nd pairing, while Klefbom plays on the top pairing.

My point was that I didn't want to solely have to try and sign FA D this summer in order to fix the D. I want that cap space in 3-4 years and I suspect almost every FA signed will get at least 4 (or more) years. I also don't think Edmonton's chances at getting guys like Ehrhoff, Martin, Sekera, etc are all that great unless they overpay (term/money/both). Someone like Oduya or Green is more realistic.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Have to ask, Riptide, aren't you a Pens fan?

Why have you been spending so much time and effort on the Oilers board?

No malice intended with the questions, just curious.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The Nikitin one intrigues me cause it's kind of how I felt. Nikitin was actually pretty solid offensively and defensively.. HOWEVER. Multiple times a game his brain would literally turn off and he became an overpaid pylon

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I've always thought Green was much better defensively than most gave him credit for. These numbers say the same thing, though I don't think they mean all that much tbh.

I honestly didn't watch much Washington over the years (handful of games a year) but I focused on Green and he always seemed solid and can move the puck and QB a PP. Basically what we want Schultz to be. I'd take a shot on him, he's put up some monster points in the past.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Really think Franson is underrated.

I suck at understanding stats - doesn't the author say that QoC and zone starts are factored into the rankings? The vTO or whatever.
Just zone starts

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Klef is a stud, Ference is a dud.. basically what is adds up to.

Erhoff would be great, the guy can be elite, true #1 Dman, if he is healthy and shows up to play.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Have to ask, Riptide, aren't you a Pens fan?

Why have you been spending so much time and effort on the Oilers board?

No malice intended with the questions, just curious.

Both actually. Pittsburgh is my favorite team, Edmonton is my favorite Canadian team. Edmonton is where I watched my first live NHL game and the closest NHL city to where I live (although I find myself in Van (and thus Rogers Arena) much more frequently - too bad I hate the Canucks with a passion).

I kinda bounce back and forth between the 2 boards in regards to time. I lurked a lot before, but with the McDavid pick, new management, more free time at work (don't tell my boss) and the Pens board seeming to be the same **** day after day, I've found myself posting over here much more frequently (clearly much to your benefit :D :sarcasm:).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Both actually. Pittsburgh is my favorite team, Edmonton is my favorite Canadian team. Edmonton is where I watched my first live NHL game and the closest NHL city to where I live (although I find myself in Van (and thus Rogers Arena) much more frequently - too bad I hate the Canucks with a passion).

I kinda bounce back and forth between the 2 boards in regards to time. I lurked a lot before, but with the McDavid pick, new management, more free time at work (don't tell my boss) and the Pens board seeming to be the same **** day after day, I've found myself posting over here much more frequently (clearly much to your benefit :D :sarcasm:).

I don't really think it's fair that you get to be a fan of the last two teams to draft generational players. :sarcasm:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't really think it's fair that you get to be a fan of the last two teams to draft generational players. :sarcasm:

Do you know how much **** and abuse I had to put up with for having my Pens stuff hanging on the wall (or wearing my Pens gear) while having an Oilers blanket on the couch from my buddies (most of whom are Flames fans)!?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Do you know how much **** and abuse I had to put up with for having my Pens stuff hanging on the wall (or wearing my Pens gear) while having an Oilers blanket on the couch from my buddies (most of whom are Flames fans)!?

Yeah, but you've also been able to watch your teams win the Cup at a much higher frequency than their team. :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not big on this kind of stuff but it does validate some of what I see in players. Wiercoch is one guy that I'd take a flier on based on past viewings. Green and Ehrhoff are 2 guys that should be targeting based on these stats as well as common sense IMO. Zidlicky looks like a possible buy low candidate. Burns offensive ability is off the charts and Martin or Klefbom would likely be an ideal partner for him based on these stats. There is a lot to like in this UFA class, we just need to hope that Chia can bring some of these guys in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad