State of the Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I get the feeling that people working for organisations in the NHL rate BM as a GM far lower than many people on HF do.

Though I don't agree that shipping out Vatanen was a mistake. That was a good and needed move - and it's not like Vatanen has suddenly become a a 1st pairing guy in NJ, he's still a 2nd pairing guy who's now struggling playing 1st pair minutes.
I disagree with that. How many teams have been as competitive as we have for as long as we have? And in a smaller market to boot. Maybe some might say now that he is a a bit out of touch, which is fair, but a good number of teams would kill for the success we've had under BM, even if it doesn't feel like much of a success to us sometimes.

Reactions: Trojans86

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I get the feeling that people working for organisations in the NHL rate BM as a GM far lower than many people on HF do.

Though I don't agree that shipping out Vatanen was a mistake. That was a good and needed move - and it's not like Vatanen has suddenly become a a 1st pairing guy in NJ, he's still a 2nd pairing guy who's now struggling playing 1st pair minutes.
Yeah, of all the moves to question, the Henrique trade is not one that I would go to.

Reactions: mightyquack

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I disagree with that. How many teams have been as competitive as we have for as long as we have? And in a smaller market to boot. Maybe some might say now that he is a a bit out of touch, which is fair, but a good number of teams would kill for the success we've had under BM, even if it doesn't feel like much of a success to us sometimes.

I guess the thing is that BM just doesn't appear to have the killer mentality to go all-in when in contention. Remember what Burke did when he came around? Signed the top UFA defenseman of his class, got rid of some players EVEN THOUGH they were fan-favorites such as Salei and Rucchin, and upon finding the team lacked only one true top defenseman to go all the way traded for one when he had the chance to. Those are bold moves that typically result in make-or-break situations, but the only moves that can win you a Cup. Signing third-rate FAs and trading unnecessary assets for equal exchange doesn't strike me as being remotely bold moves.

BM is good at exactly two things: developing the franchise by relying on one of the league's best scouting departments - and managing RFA contracts. Aside from that, he has no real traits or qualities. The UFA deals he gives out usually come back to haunt us after two years at the most (see: Allen, Bieksa, Boll, Bourque, Boynton, Despres, Eaves, Fowler, Gibbons, Hagman, Heatley, Henrique, Jackman, Kesler, Lydman, Maroon, Penner, Santorelli, Souray, Stoner, Sustr, Sutton, Thompson, Vermette, and Winnik). He either overpays massively for garbage UFAs or he tends to give players a contract renewal that is both way too well-paid and too long in term.

I give him kudos for trying to make a bold move when he acquired Kesler, but everyone and their grandmothers knew the renewal would bite us in the ass the moment it was signed. Same goes for example for the likes of Despres, Eaves, Souray and Vermette with their known injury history. His vision just never has been there and he always tried to have us play with guys he knew from beforehand but who were completely over-the-hill for several years already. Trying to mimic the reigning champion, by the way, does not count as vision whatsoever, as well.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The anonymous exec quoted ripping them for that also thought he was signed to first line center money. I dont know why people even entertained that guy, he's clearly just an idiot.
He has the 33rd highest cap hit for centers next year. Only 16 centers make more than a million over his salary, and only 14 other guys make over 5M. Yeah; there are a couple guys who are significantly better and waiting for a payday, but he’s certainly not paid like the low end 2C he is.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He has the 33rd highest cap hit for centers next year. Only 16 centers make more than a million over his salary, and only 14 other guys make over 5M. Yeah; there are a couple guys who are significantly better and waiting for a payday, but he’s certainly not paid like the low end 2C he is.
That analysis only works well if all players are signed in the same time frame with the same free agency status. That just isn't how the system works and that executive made a foolish statement.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That analysis only works well if all players are signed in the same time frame with the same free agency status. That just isn't how the system works and that executive made a foolish statement.
And that argument only works if the Cap has been significantly increasing every year, which it hasn’t been.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Lol Jesus Christ. When you hear someone say "first line center money", you immediately think of around $6 million?

And honestly, yeah he pretty much is. They never were good deals but that's right around the mark the likes of Dubinsky, Zajac, Bolland, and those deals were signed years ago. If you want a second line calibre center you probably have to go near that $6 million mark and it's only going to get worse. Well, or draft and develop one obviously but that's not what we're talking about.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That analysis doesn't even work well then. The 31 best centers aren't all considered first line calibre, and $6 million hasn't been first line center money since like 2013.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Regarding Rico's contract, salaries are going up faster than the salary cap is right now. It's just how things are going, players are getting paid more than they were years ago. Rico's contract will end up being the norm for players of his caliber in a couple of years.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
There doesn’t need to be any numerical analysis. It’s very simple. If a 1C becomes a free agent, see if you can sign him for 6M/year. That would be a pipe dream. Even a “low end” 1C would go for much more than that.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Duchene is above PPG on a god awful team. He's not low end.

It's sometimes easier to put up more points on bad teams. But besides that, he's also a guy who has scored over 60 points just twice before this season and has been very erratic in his 10 years in the league.

And even then this year isnt elite, he's probably still not a top 15 center for this year alone. I'd put that on the low end of first line centers.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
While I agree with the sentiment over not buying out Kevin Bieksa I'm not sure Samueli would have agreed with the buyout.

The math would have worked out fine. He only had one year at $4M left. Pay him 2/3 and fill his roster spot with an ELC guy and Henry actually would have had enough left over to buy a few hot dogs and beers for a big summer bash.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The math would have worked out fine. He only had one year at $4M left. Pay him 2/3 and fill his roster spot with an ELC guy and Henry actually would have had enough left over to buy a few hot dogs and beers for a big summer bash.

Wasn't the issue less about actual money saved and more about principle, as in they didn't want to spend millions for a guy not to play for them? Like obviously I agree that's backwards, but I thought that was the bigger thing, they didn't want to seem wasteful.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Wasn't the issue less about actual money saved and more about principle, as in they didn't want to spend millions for a guy not to play for them? Like obviously I agree that's backwards, but I thought that was the bigger thing, they didn't want to seem wasteful.

I think it was more a case of Bob and his stubborn loyalty again. I thought there were some rumblings that after giving KB the NMC he didn't think it was right to ask him to waive it and so he never even asked. Taken another step, Bob potentially felt it would have been in poor taste to buy him out?

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Losing Theodore for one negative Bieksa year is a move that can't be made by an NHL GM. At least not by one who would fire a coach that is completely lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad