Management State of the Bruins - Neely 5/19/22 (unedited)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
State of the Four June 2021 UFA

These are my opinions and grades and do not reflect 98.5 Sports Hub hosts or callers

I didn’t go to my first game till right before the December pandemic break - but went to most after and all 3 playoffs (that sound about right Susan @Ladyfan)

NICK FOLIGNO

my initial reaction of signing ‘loved it’ ~ didn’t even cross my mind till signed just read he would replace Parise on the cheap and go play with brother on Wild

Season: it didn’t go as I planned, I’m sure management planned and definitely the player ~ this was a bummer because he was a long time favorite. He played better in the end but 2 goals and last out of 333? Forwards who played at least 750 minutes isn’t good.

He did play hard and was always upbeat but even a Gordie Howe hat trick couldn’t save his grade

It was a fail ~ F

DEREK FORBORT

The one time 11th overall pick ? and Manchester Monarchs was rumored so I wasn’t caught off guard like Foligno

Initial reaction: meh with a twist - he was a Manchester Monarchs and I had a 4 pack at that time - not a far ride from work and always a fun time. My kid loved those players skating out of that big inflatable lion ~ ah I miss those days

The early opinion was ‘why did we sign this guy’ as a I once a week heard, “he’s adjusting to a new system he never played with- less man to man he was used to and more structure under Bruce. Ok I get it and I always felt the Bruins current system kind of sucked - I like the man in man part- and thought Carlo would be better out of this current Cassidy system

Once I started going in January 22 after they started back up / and sitting right in back of the net the first and third I was surprised at Forbort willingly moving guys and the balls he showed eating pucks

He clearly wasn’t quick enough or skilled enough to handle a continuous or 17 minutes of an Aho Jarvis Svechnikov or Marner Matthews and especially Bunting :sarcasm:

But placed in a third pair and as a PK or late in periods or end of games, yes.

I thought he was good at the end but when I heard Ken Daneyko discuss Forbort it made sense. Every team needs a guy like this who will do whatever to stop the puck and it never even occurred to me the analytics stuff where Forbort was altering shots from point and taking away the half wall shot on the PK allowing the Bruins to stretch their pK forwards a step or so

The best analogy I heard on Forbort was the specialization he brings comparable to catchers who are elite ‘pitch framers’ and blocking balls in dirt

Forbort is big but seems to expand and open up as he positions for a block - as I said he also alters shots he doesn’t touch

Because Daneyko brought him up early in series when I went to game 6 I was thinking ‘hmm let me check this out - and there he was not only blocking some shots but getting his man and himself out of the way using his upper body (not stick) for leverage and give Swayman a clear view

I would say Good which Is a B but Daneyko was a bad ass and stud in this area so I’ll split

B/B+

ERIC HAULA

Been following him a bit when in college but watched him a few times when with Iowa Wild ~ I loved his skating and played very good all 3 zones D; so when I was looking for a third line center in sim I traded some Bruins player :laugh:to the fantastic and deeply missed AOF who had Haula

Haula ends up flipping the script and scores 29 goals in a ‘I never saw that coming’

I’m a Haula guy and wanted him last summer so this was good.

Foligno at $3.8 M not good return - Forbort at $3 M solid to perfect but Haula left a good Mil on the table - but I understand he was coming off an injury

Very good player who was a perfect compliment to Hall & Pastrnak

I had an A~ but if Mike Johnson, Doug Wright and Biz Nasty like him

Grade: A

LINUS ULLMARK

I targeted him and correctly guessed 4/20 so I’m standing by this guy

Being honest

As I sat on couch first 2-3 months I was ‘um he looks shaky, unsure, all over the bleepin place - this may not go good’

But once Rask situation resolved and I got to sit in back and watch him play and hug Swayman, I was impressed - he’s good is his floor his ceiling outstanding

His final stats were
26-10-2 .917 sv 2.45 GAA

54 points in 38 games

117 points pro rated

That Is like a ridiculously good number

Grade : A~

@LouJersey & @Saxon Eric

I talked to you two about these 4 guys but didn’t tell you I was doing this - text me your grades
great post friend, I was right there with ya on Foligno

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
I'm hoping Neeley really means that good team adapt to play any style that can give them an advantage. Against the Hurricanes, we needed to play more dump and chase. They are just too solid along the blueline. Other teams are more susceptible to breakouts and creating odd man rushes.
Cassidy is too stubborn to think in these terms. I believe any roster that can create good breakouts, which we can, can play dump and chase. The same" speed kills" philosophy applies to all styles of offense. It's great to have "grinders" that smash people, but speed guys like Pasta and Hall have proven that they can get in on the forecheck and create havoc by cycling the puck. Too many turnovers created by trying to carry pucks through human walls.
If Cassidy can't adjust, he has to go. We also have to figure out why dump and chase teams get US stuck in our own D zone for minutes at a time. The forward support structure is failing at times.
I agree a team and a HC needs to be flexible enough to adapt to the opponent. Even though I hate him as a NY Jets fan , its what makes Belicheck great ,the ability to take advantage of the opponents weaknesses.

In the Canes series I said repeatedly that they needed to not dump the puck deep, but chip it off the side boards in the Ozone to get by Carolina's "trap" . Carolina was/is allowed way too much interefernece to carry the puck in or get by their D for deep puck retrieval.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
He was correct with that statement
If those ''younger players'' were going to make it in the NHL, they would most likely be there by now. Achan is 25 years old. Cassidy has to make the playoffs or he. for sure. gets fired. His job is to win hockey games.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Nosek an F? Really? An F? With Forbort a B?

Nosek is boring as hell out there but he is is competent. He reminds me of Par Lindholm or Nordstrom (maybe Nord was a little flashier). He is a C player to me- like @PlayMakers I wish he showed some more jam in his game, but he is basically a safe player.

I give Fobort a high C/low B. What he does well, he does very well. He is a puckhandling nightmare, though, and creates a number of problems that didn't need to happen. Good third-pairing/situation guy.

I think we all have Foligno as an F. I guess you could bump him to a D if you liked the slight pickup in his game in the last third of the season, but man, what a waste of salary and a roster space.

Haula to me is a B-, slow start, fantastic finish to the regular season, but man did he disappear in the playoffs. Bruins needed more from him there, and will again next season.

If those ''younger players'' were going to make it in the NHL, they would most likely be there by now. Achan is 25 years old. Cassidy has to make the playoffs or he. for sure. gets fired. His job is to win hockey games.

This is where Bruce has to have some balance and space from management as well as a willingness to play the young guys even when they are hitting some rough patches. He has done it with some guys. If Cam's statement means anything other than presser gum-flapping, then maybe the pressure comes off Bruce a little bit so he feels that he can accept some setbacks in results without consequences. The team has to develop their prospects in the NHL.

Reactions: HustleB

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
If you play these younger players and they are afraid to make mistakes you are not getting the best out of them. If a team wants to be successful in this league short or long term they need to be able to incorporate these guys into the line up.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If you play these younger players and they are afraid to make mistakes you are not getting the best out of them. If a team wants to be successful in this league short or long term they need to be able to incorporate these guys into the line up.
Yup.

A good coach can incorporate young players and win, when it becomes either/or then upper management needs to make a decision.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Nosek is a dependable guy. Cassidy leans on his 4th line to work hard and I think in the 1st half of the year, I would have given Nosek at the very least, a passing grade. But I thought his play tailed off as the season went on, especially his work in the offensive zone. He went from being an above average 4th liner to playing like a 13th/14th forward.

With Forbort, i felt his play got better as the season went on and had some great playoff games.

Reactions: HustleB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Our young players are complete garbage. They suck, and should never see the league, except as ten game filler
That's it. Not to many of them have proved they belonged and the ones that have are here. Sweeney drafting at the forward position has been nothing short of terrible, cant blame Butch there.

Sweeney also went out last season and signs a couple of vets in Nosek and Foligno to contracts taking up roster spots that could have and been filled by entry level deals. :help:

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Studnicka, Senyshyn and the others, probably aren't going to make it. The guys from their draft years that are going to make it, are already in the NHL. Check the draft sheet. Where else would Frederic be third line? Blidh was picked in 2013. The Bruins depth pool is not deep. Did you know that Lysell is slightly smaller, weight wise, than Grzelcyk? According to hockey-reference, none of the 2018, 19, 20, 21 Bruins draft picks have seen NHL time.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Studnicka, Senyshyn and the others, probably aren't going to make it. The guys from their draft years that are going to make it, are already in the NHL. Check the draft sheet. Where else would Frederic be third line? Blidh was picked in 2013. The Bruins depth pool is not deep. Did you know that Lysell is slightly smaller, weight wise, than Grzelcyk? According to hockey-reference, none of the 2018, 19, 20, 21 Bruins draft picks have seen NHL time.

Senyshyn isn't even a Bruin anymore. He went to Ottawa at the TDL. Lysell is young and will grow. Pasta was a stick at the same age and in his first couple of pro seasons. 2018 is looking like a washout year- no first, our pick in the second was shipped off the Anaheim. Past that you get into probably not going to make it territory for just about everyone picked for every team. Lauko needs to turn it around this season. 2019, Beecher just came out of college, so the book is out on him, the rest ??. 2020 was Lohrei, still in college and again, no first. Kuntar in college. 2021, well the vast majority of players picked in that draft haven't played in the NHL. It was just last summer so not a good measure for any team.

It's not a great prospect pool, but isn't utter shit, either. There will be some busts, never-was's, and a couple of surprises.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Forbort was a beast in the playoffs. I gave him a similar grade. Said it would be a C+ Regular season B or B- including postseason.

Nosek F is a little much though. He ended up with 17 points playing on the 4th line and had 29.3% offensive zone starts. He was a beast on the PK. His stone hands did leave a few goals off the board, but no way does he deserve an F

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Senyshyn isn't even a Bruin anymore. He went to Ottawa at the TDL. Lysell is young and will grow. Pasta was a stick at the same age and in his first couple of pro seasons. 2018 is looking like a washout year- no first, our pick in the second was shipped off the Anaheim. Past that you get into probably not going to make it territory for just about everyone picked for every team. Lauko needs to turn it around this season. 2019, Beecher just came out of college, so the book is out on him, the rest ??. 2020 was Lohrei, still in college and again, no first. Kuntar in college. 2021, well the vast majority of players picked in that draft haven't played in the NHL. It was just last summer so not a good measure for any team.

It's not a great prospect pool, but isn't utter shit, either. There will be some busts, never-was's, and a couple of surprises.
Thank you for the update. Which of the pre 2018 draft guys deserve more NHL time because they have the potential to take a roster spot from a regular?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sorry it is the truth. It does not include blue-chippers like Lysell or more than likely Harrison, but the rank and file guys suck.

Most teams' rank and file guys suck and most won't play regular minutes in the NHL. Look league wide at a selection of drafts and see how many second and third rounders or later hit. The percentages are shockingly low. The Bruins have a handful of guys that look like they could make some type of impact on the NHL, but its early days for a lot of them. It would look better if A) the Bruins were worse and drafted higher and B) Sweeney had not given away a couple of first rounders recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad