Management State of the Bruins - Neely 5/19/22 (unedited)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

BOSTON BRUINS PRESIDENT CAM NEELY…

On an extension for Don Sweeney…

“I started talking with Charlie [Jacobs] and Mr. [Jeremy] Jacobs after the deadline about extending Don, so that’s my plan, is to do that.”

On if that is also Mr. Jacobs’ plan…

“Yes.”

On what’s left to do for the extension…

“I’m going to sit down with Don in the next day or two and hopefully hammer something out.”

On if there’s a reason an extension wasn’t done sooner…

“To be honest, I really wanted to see how the year went. We had a lot of changes in the last offseason, so I just really wanted to see how that played out. Obviously, you get January, February, March – really good months for us. The team really came together. I thought we had a lot of depth and I was happy with what he did at the deadline.”

On where he thinks the team fell short…

“You look at playoff hockey on the road, you’ve got to think 5-on-5, your top guys are going to get shut down. So your power play has got to come through, your depth has got to come through. Game 7, I wasn’t really happy with our game at all. I don’t think it was anywhere near our best game that we could have played as a team. We had one power play, and that was them putting the puck over the glass, so we didn’t draw any penalties. And our secondary scoring kind of dried up on us. You need that in the playoffs, especially on the road.”

On if there’s anything to target after the playoffs…

“You’re always analyzing and dissecting your club, throughout the whole year really. But the playoffs certainly gave me some indication that we’ve got to do a little better job of getting inside the dots. Maybe not try to have such a rush mentality. I thought we were getting a little stubborn at times, turning pucks over the blue line, whether it was an entry on the power play or 5-on-5. I think at times, you’ve got to take what’s given to you and sometimes you’ve got to dump it in and go get it and grind it out.”

On getting a power forward….

“It would be great to have someone like that, there’s no question. I think every team would love that, and the teams that have them, they hang on to them. They don’t let them go. It’s just a matter of the scouting department going to work and trying to find someone for us.”

On if getting to the inside ice is more personnel or coaching decisions…

“I think it’s a combination of both, really. I mean, like I said, I think we try to have clean breakouts, and rightfully so. We try to be a rush team, but at times — especially a team like Carolina — they’re going to stand up. They’re not going to give you too many opportunities to have chances off the rush, so you’ve got to create chances elsewhere.”

On Patrice Bergeron…

“He understands that we have decisions to make coming up here. So, with him in the lineup is different than without him. Obviously, the year that he had, I hope he feels good about his game still, because he had a pretty damn good year. So hopefully he’s mentally prepared to have another one. You’ve got to give him some time to digest all that and talk with his family about it. But we have decisions to make coming up as well.”

On if the team could survive without a first-line center…

“I think it would be challenging to have the year that we had without a Bergeron. It’s tough to find a Bergeron. Hopefully he does come back. But if he doesn’t, we’ve got to go to work.”

On if there is an appetite for a rebuild if Bergeron doesn’t come back…

“I’ve been looking at that for a while now. As your core players and your better players start to age out, you do have to look at that. There’s no question. But we do have some good young players in this lineup that hopefully continue to grow and hopefully we continue to add to that. But it is something you think about. In 2019, we lose in seven in the finals. In 2020, we’re leading the league and then the world falls apart. We’ve got to be better. We needed to be better last playoffs. I thought this year, I honestly felt really good that we were going to get by Carolina in Game 7. I really did. I knew it was going to be tough five-on-five. But like I said, we didn’t draw any penalties to give us a chance for our better players to produce on the power play. Those are things we have to look at to improve upon.”

On where the coaching staff can improve…

“Like I said, I think there’s times when players need to be more reactive out there instead of thinking about, this is how we have to play. Sometimes on the power play, I found it frustrating where we would continue to try to gain the zone the same way with the same results that weren’t as good as they could have been. And again, turning pucks over at the blue line because you’re trying to beat guys one-on-one or one-on-two. It’s tough to do in this league. I think a little different philosophy of when to dump pucks in and chase and go after it and try to grind it out down below the dots and get inside the dots and try to create chances that way.”

On if the playing style could change to create the necessary changes…

“It’s a different thing when you’re playing with a lead. You still have to play smart and protect the puck and not turn it over. But when you’re trying to create chances and they’re not coming off the rush, you have to find ways to create chances elsewhere.”

On if the fans could accept a rebuild…

“I don’t know if – I don’t think anyone really wants to watch losing hockey. That’s not the plan, is to start losing. You look at teams across the league that have lost a lot of hockey games over the number of years, and they are in rebuilds. They get better draft picks and ultimately better players, but I think we’ve done a pretty good job the last 10, 11 years of trying to stay in that window to win. But eventually it does catch up to you. But like I said, we do have some good young players in this lineup that hopefully we can build around in the next couple years, so we don’t have to do a complete rebuild.”

On the challenge of keeping the window open while losing key pieces…

“It is challenging, there’s no question. Especially when you are in that window and every deadline, you’re trading prospects and picks to try and continue to give your team a better chance to win. So, it is a delicate balance of going for it and also understanding that you’re sacrificing a little bit of your future.”

On potential changes to the coaching staff…

“Don and I are going to connect. I know he's got meetings coming up with coaching staff, so we'll see where that goes. I haven't really talked to Don about it yet. So, he hasn't really given me an indication. Only because probably he's not really sure what his situation was.”

On Don Sweeney’s work in the last year of his contract…

“We actually talked about it. He said, I have no problem going into my last year as GM. I'll continue to work the way I work. I'll work as hard as I can, improve the club. He was very professional in that regard. It was whatever we needed to do to give ourselves a chance to win this year.”

On bringing Bruce Cassidy back as head coach…

“I think we have to look at making some changes as far as how we play and the way we do some of the things. I think Bruce is a fantastic coach. I mean, he's brought a lot of success to this organization. I like him as a coach. So, we'll see where it goes. But I do think we need to make some changes. And I think Bruce, a couple of days ago, he alluded to that. So, we'll see where that goes with that.”

On if young players are afraid to make mistakes…

“There's no question players are afraid to make mistakes, especially younger players, because, you know, you hear about it. And I was one of those players that, you know, I had to learn and grow. And I heard about it, too. And I made mistakes as a younger player. But you can't worry about not getting back out there. I think that's one of the things we have to kind of change. I think when younger players make mistakes, they're worried they're not going to play the next game while that game is still going on.”

On playing off the rush vs. playing the cycle game…

“Yeah, it'd be nice if we could play both ways. You know, with the roster that you have, I mean, like I said again to me, you have to take what's given to you. And if you can make plays off the rush, then you should do that. But if you can't, then you got to, you got to dump it in and, and, and try to get opportunities in a different way and a different style. And, you know, I think we have guys that can do that. I just don't think we did it enough to take us.”

On the Jacobs family’s reaction to the season…

“Well, everybody's disappointed. It's one thing to get into the playoffs. Another thing to lose in the first round. It's disappointing, especially when you have a year that we had, we knew the East was going to be tough. We knew whoever we met in the first round was going to be a challenge. But like I said, I think we all felt that we could have got by Carolina. We knew it was going to be a tough, long series. So, they're disappointed and rightfully so.”

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On bringing Bruce Cassidy back as head coach…

“I think we have to look at making some changes as far as how we play and the way we do some of the things. I think Bruce is a fantastic coach. I mean, he's brought a lot of success to this organization. I like him as a coach. So, we'll see where it goes. But I do think we need to make some changes. And I think Bruce, a couple of days ago, he alluded to that. So, we'll see where that goes with that.”

I fear Cassidy is going to have some sleepless nights in the coming days.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018

I think Bruce can get a job easily in this league. Neely’s speech today would be hard to swallow for me if I was Bruce. I think everyone can agree that he is better at his job than those two are. I don’t think there’s a way he comes back after this and I don’t know if he’d want to if Neely and Sweeney are still there

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think Bruce can get a job easily in this league. Neely’s speech today would be hard to swallow for me if I was Bruce. I think everyone can agree that he is better at his job than those two are. I don’t think there’s a way he comes back after this and I don’t know if he’d want to if Neely and Sweeney are still there
Not according to them and that's all that matters. Neely clearly expected a title in 2019 being at home for that series and clearly expected them to beat Carolina. Maybe some of it is on the coach.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A few thoughts spring to mind in listening to Cam’s comments:

I thought we had a lot of depth and I was happy with what (Sweeney) did at the deadline.

Cam, you looked at this roster and saw depth? Really? Interesting. We have different definitions of ‘depth’.

You look at playoff hockey on the road, you’ve got to think 5-on-5, your top guys are going to get shut down. So your power play has got to come through, your depth has got to come through…We had one power play, and that was them putting the puck over the glass, so we didn’t draw any penalties. And our secondary scoring kind of dried up on us…I knew it was going to be tough five-on-five. But like I said, we didn’t draw any penalties to give us a chance for our better players to produce on the power play.

If you’re banking on your power play and on drawing penalties to win games in the playoffs, you’re doing it wrong, especially when the Bruins’ PP was experiencing significant issues for weeks in the lead-up to the postseason. The acknowledgement that the top players aren’t good enough to produce on the road 5v5 is interesting too. It’s correct, clearly, but it’s pretty damning. Yeah, you need your depth to come through, but your top players are paid to perform both home and away, and if they’re not capable of doing that, then you really have to ask whether you have the right top guys. To be hoping they can get it done on the man advantage feels like clutching at straws or looking for cheap wins. Not comfortable with this at all.

I thought this year, I honestly felt really good that we were going to get by Carolina in Game 7. I really did.

I’m all for optimism and believing in your team, but I don’t know how you could have watched games 1, 2 & 5 in Raleigh and had confidence that G7 would have a different result. Of course it was possible, but to feel ‘really good’ about it? That smacks a little of wishful thinking to me.

Other than that I do think Neely made some good points around the Bruins’ style of play, on the way they handle youngsters, and some of the tactical issues that need work. On the question of a prospective rebuild too, I get where he’s coming from, and he’s more forthright and plain-speaking on this than Sweeney, not that that’s saying much. I fear though the way he’s thinking is going to leave the team stuck in half-way purgatory, neither great nor terrible, for a long time, and he basically acknowledges this risk himself with his “it is a delicate balance of going for it and also understanding that you’re sacrificing a little bit of your future” statement. But in this he’s just towing the company line, and at least he’s not completely against some sort of rebuild/re-tool.

Other takeaway is that Cassidy is either gone or he’s going to be on a very short leash next season. If I were him I’d seriously look to get out now rather than wait to be pushed. Cam and Don really appear to be thick as thieves. They’re going to protect each other and be extremely hard to shift. So if there’s blame and scapegoating to be done, it’s going to fall elsewhere.

Rocky road ahead for the Bs, and not the good chocolatey kind.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Think so too, I wonder a few things, I have my issues with Butch but wondering if the B`s actually had the horses to play a run and gun style if Butch is the kind of coach comfortable with that style and the other thing I wonder about is what do the boys think of him as a coach. Have to think in this day and age, those exit interviews, one of the questions would likely be about the coach. Not that I think the prisoners running the asylum is the best approach but you know it plays a role these days

Who is out there that coaches with an aggressive mindset anyone know? I want no part of Trozt, not what this team needs IMO

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Talk, talk, talk.
I would of liked to see him talk about the off season acquisitions made by Sweeney, he mentioned the deadline deal and how good it was, but nothing, nothing at all about the off season moves. I wished someone would have went there because you cant win a season at the deadline its more of what you do leading up to it, and that has clearly been a big negative of Sweeney tenure, and it was again in this the last year of his current contract.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Honestly, if I were to eliminate someone from the FO or coaching staff, it would be Neely. He seems like a guy who is always breathing over the shoulder, and probably feels a sense of entitlement because of his history with the team. When you hire a coach or GM, you have to let them do the job the way they see fit. If they perform great, if they fall short, you fire them. If you are just going to tell them what to do, then why hire them at all?

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Not according to them and that's all that matters. Neely clearly expected a title in 2019 being at home for that series and clearly expected them to beat Carolina. Maybe some of it is on the coach.

We don’t agree on this topic so I won’t push it further, its your opinion. Him expecting us to beat Carolina with an inferior team they put together and not being able to see that tells me a lot

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I agree.

I’d also think that any prospective coach (a good one - not one desperate for a job) is going to want to know the answer on Bergie before taking job. Either that or a very good feeling that Sweeney and Neely can secure a real 1C. Have to be crazy to take a job in this pressure cooker without a decent chance at success.

Reactions: Gordoff

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I agree.

I’d also think that any prospective coach (a good one - not one desperate for a job) is going to want to know the answer on Bergie before taking job. Either that or a very good feeling that Sweeney and Neely can secure a real 1C. Have to be crazy to take a job in this pressure cooker without a decent chance at success.
Neely is saying anything to save his arse. Those two need to be put out in the pasture now. More wasted years coming I think.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Neely is a complete meathead. God, it’s worse than I thought. Does he honestly believe that the players we have are anywhere near good enough? If he does, he’s completely delusional. If not, he probably just wants to insulate his little buddy.

I’m now more convinced than ever that BOTH Sweeney and Neely have to go. What an abomination.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent interview - calling out Cassidy like he calls out player ‘what goes around comes around’

Not surprised when you watched him play - he would be the best winger in the game today when he was healthy in his prime

I had to explain to a Felger & Mazz generation Chara hockey graduate Neely actually played :laugh:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
In terms of coaching, Cam talked about the PP several times.

If I'm coaching the PP Units, I may be more worried than Cassidy.
The PP guy is Cassidy. It was Cassidy and Pandalfo before

Sacco takes care of the pk

I love Cam but come on not giving any blame to Don is a mistake. He had money and didn’t use it wisely
So true. If I were Cassidy. That would make me upset

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is just fantastic- you don’t get such info out of Foxboro but if you watch the game without your iPhone in your hand this is so apparent - and that they gave it to us

Unbelievable and I love it

It’s from the Neely article in Athletic by Fluto and a Sweeney quote i it but these two work together to identify a major flaw

Cassidy tells us what everyone is doing wrong and chalks up the loss to ‘not my fault Carolina Is good’

BWAHAHAHAH

Sweeney first raised concerns about playing philosophy, specifically regarding five-on-five production, on Wednesday. The GM cited Carolina’s work at creating action from the blue line, which runs counter to Cassidy’s thinking. Sweeney also noted the necessity of creating in-zone offense instead of relying on the rush game.

Fantastic analysis we shockingly got

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This is just fantastic- you don’t get such info out of Foxboro but if you watch the game without your iPhone in your hand this is so apparent - and that they gave it to us

Unbelievable and I love it

It’s from the Neely article in Athletic by Fluto and a Sweeney quote i it but these two work together to identify a major flaw

Cassidy tells us what everyone is doing wrong and chalks up the loss to ‘not my fault Carolina Is good’

BWAHAHAHAH

Sweeney first raised concerns about playing philosophy, specifically regarding five-on-five production, on Wednesday. The GM cited Carolina’s work at creating action from the blue line, which runs counter to Cassidy’s thinking. Sweeney also noted the necessity of creating in-zone offense instead of relying on the rush game.

Fantastic analysis we shockingly got

“I think every year you try to do that, adjust a little bit. I’ve seen some things already where we’re going to need to get better. I’ve talked about it. D-zone, we have one of the best defensive teams in the league this year, yet it wasn’t good enough against Tampa. We have to fix some of it without overthinking it. Offensively, we’ve said, five-on-five, how do we generate more offense? We need to get our D involved more. Does that sacrifice defense? The offensive zone part, we’re going to look long and hard on [the defensemen group]. The discussion on job responsibilities. I think every year you change a little bit of it. That’s something we have to look at. That’s something I have to…it’s on me to make sure I get more involved in that next year...We need to be better at it. Does that mean we change the personnel on the blue line to better do that? If we do, does it mean we lose something in our own end because some of the times when you do that, your group is smaller. So, those are all questions we have to look at. Do we want to sacrifice defense to gain a little more offense and how much? I think that is where we’re out right now with how we can be better five-on-five.”

Bruce Cassidy - September 2020
(Haggerty: Cassidy doing some deep reflecting at season's end)

“We have to find a way to continue to contribute offensively from our back end. It doesn’t always have to be driving. But I do believe with Charlie and Hampus — Grzelcyk’s shoulder was bad, so maybe not as effective — we have to be able to contribute in that way.

“We need to find ways to generate more offense. Is the personnel in place to do that and we’re just playing the wrong way? Do we sacrifice defense, what we’re very good at, to generate some offense? We may have to consider that. That’s definitely a possibility. Are there some players that can give us more? There always is.”

Don Sweeney and Bruce Cassidy - May 2022
(Don Sweeney and Bruce Cassidy are not on the same offensive page)

Is there an echo in here? 'Cause I swear I'm hearing the same things twice...

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The reality is ownership believes in Cam - PERIOD
Papa from all accounts still listens to Harry.

The name that I keep hearing to be the next coach terrifies me

The pride of West Concord, Massachusetts

tortorella-torts.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad