Management State of the Bruins - Neely 5/19/22 (unedited)

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
This is just fantastic- you don’t get such info out of Foxboro but if you watch the game without your iPhone in your hand this is so apparent - and that they gave it to us

Unbelievable and I love it

It’s from the Neely article in Athletic by Fluto and a Sweeney quote i it but these two work together to identify a major flaw

Cassidy tells us what everyone is doing wrong and chalks up the loss to ‘not my fault Carolina Is good’

BWAHAHAHAH

Sweeney first raised concerns about playing philosophy, specifically regarding five-on-five production, on Wednesday. The GM cited Carolina’s work at creating action from the blue line, which runs counter to Cassidy’s thinking. Sweeney also noted the necessity of creating in-zone offense instead of relying on the rush game.

Fantastic analysis we shockingly got

I think the scary thing about what they said is that modern hockey thought is that carolina's system is inefficient and difficult to repeat because generating offense from the blue line with shooting has a low scoring probablity. Their personnel is just really good at it and their forwards are well indoctrinated to capitalize on it. This organization is not built the same way. If they tried to play like Carolina in the ozone, theyd probably look a lot like the Islanders. I really REALLY hope that is not the change they are trying to make.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney & Neely were calculating

Cassidy went first and he is like Sonny going through toll booth

1653052885317.jpeg

Reactions: Over the volcano

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Cute little narrative management has spun here the last few days that, in any sort of reality, this team underachieved.

How dumb do they think we are?

I don't think ol' Sea Bass and his Harvard buddy really care how smart or dumb the fans are. The fans don't matter. They're just expected to keep turning up and handing over their sweet sweet money. That's the extent of the consideration we're given. This team belongs to Jacobs and his old boys club and they shall do as they see fit, everyone else merely has the privilege of watching. The media is held in barely any less contempt. A couple of times a year the Prez and GM front up to the mics, spin a few nondescript lines around some half-baked narrative, and viola folks, we'll see you again in a few months' time to say exactly the same things again.

Accountability? Never heard of it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't think ol' Sea Bass and his Harvard buddy really care how smart or dumb the fans are. The fans don't matter. They're just expected to keep turning up and handing over their sweet sweet money. That's the extent of the consideration we're given. This team belongs to Jacobs and his old boys club and they shall do as they see fit, everyone else merely has the privilege of watching. The media is held in barely any less contempt. A couple of times a year the Prez and GM front up to the mics, spin a few nondescript lines around some half-baked narrative, and viola folks, we'll see you again in a few months' time to say exactly the same things again.

so.....the same as every GM/Prez out there:)

I`m no Neely/DS apologist, like every tandem in the league, they have their hits, have their misses. If Sweeney was simply in charge of College and extension signings that`d be great. From what I`ve read/heard from others I respect, their last few drafts could turn out to be very sound but again, it`s prospects, until they are wearing a NHL jersey, can`t really gauge where they are yet.

Personally, I want Dale Tallon who pretty much built the Hawks prior to getting canned or leaving, whichever it was, then went on and did a nice job piecing together a Panthers team helping it into being the one we see now

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I`m no Neely/DS apologist, like every tandem in the league, they have their hits, have their misses. If Sweeney was simply in charge of College and extension signings that`d be great. From what I`ve read/heard from others I respect, their last few drafts could turn out to be very sound but again, it`s prospects, until they are wearing a NHL jersey, can`t really gauge where they are yet.

Personally, I want Dale Tallon who pretty much built the Hawks prior to getting canned or leaving, whichever it was, then went on and did a nice job piecing together a Panthers team helping it into being the one we see now

Yeah, can't really deny it. American sports teams are still weird to me like that. They're run like private fiefdoms. I know it's 'normal' there, but it's strange to an outsider.

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah, can't really deny it. American sports teams are still weird to me like that. They're run like private fiefdoms. I know it's 'normal' there, but it's strange to an outsider.
accountability is so rare, it`s why we are often shocked when someone stands up and admits their wrongs but I think some fans here (not saying you) believe every other GM/Prez combo stand in there and take the heat, they simply don`t

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Tallon scares the hell out of me, especially after that Bob contract. And the moves Zito's made after Tallon left have been uncannily good, even if he does look like a serial killer.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Take the Cannolis leave the gun
This was a ‘hit’

Well well planned

I know my kids and their friends have never seen the GF - I can’t even get the youngest to watch American Graffiti- this was so well orchestrated even I am impressed

Phenomenally played out over 3 days

Just bleepin wow Cam & Donny :laugh:

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
This was a ‘hit’

Well well planned

I know my kids and their friends have never seen the GF - I can’t even get the youngest to watch American Graffiti- this was so well orchestrated even I am impressed

Phenomenally played out over 3 days

Just bleepin wow Cam & Donny :laugh:

Not sure why it would need to be manipulated this way - just fire him if that's the play.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com

Let's say that this is true. The fans don't matter. Well, we sure as hell keep filling up the seats don't we? We expect more, yet still pack the Garden in droves, so what are we talking about here? We the fans, should hold ourselves accountable as well. We're smart enough to tell shit from shinola and act accordingly too.

Reactions: BMC

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Cute little narrative management has spun here the last few days that, in any sort of reality, this team underachieved.

How dumb do they think we are?
They should have the balls to fire the coach now and not 35 games in, blaming him for the team not playing at “the level they think it should be”

Not sure why it would need to be manipulated this way - just fire him if that's the play.
They won’t. They can still have somebody to blame

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Fans bitched about Cassidy calling out players, but then want Torts?
You just know Torts has already screamed it to the player's face 500 times first at least whereas the players hear it from Bruce via the media.

Torts is a terrific option if the next phase is a different direction than chasing the 7-9 seed and capturing 2-3 home games in playoff revenue. 1-2 seasons of Torts and identify the next long term solution externally. A short term rebuild to draft the next 1C, 2C options and return to contention. Swayman, McAvoy, Lindholm, Pastrnak is a strong template for long term success.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The reality is ownership believes in Cam - PERIOD
Papa from all accounts still listens to Harry.

The name that I keep hearing to be the next coach terrifies me

The pride of West Concord, Massachusetts

tortorella-torts.gif
@Fenway I'm a mixed bag on this:

- I can live with ownership still believing in Cam. I have my opinions, but they are just that and I am not in the room. I think this is very odd and probably unwise, but again what do I know?

- That Papa still listens to Harry Sinden is infuriating to me. That's not odd. It's foolish, exasperating, and makes me want to kick something. I wish both old men (one who knows squat about hockey and the other who's best days are 40 years in the past and his worst days were truly BAD) would just go away.

- Torts? Ooh Boy. Because I'm angry and frustrated -- what the hell? Be like Joker and just watch the world burn. I doubt either Harry or Jerry's hearts could take the fallout. So maybe it's just fine.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Bring on Torts. It can go two ways :
- The coaching change can motivate the team and they will do better
or (more likely)
- He'll call out Dumb and Dumber when he realizes he has 5 good players to put on the ice. And the team will tank and have a slim chance at Bedard.
Torts wouldn’t suffer Sweeney’s buffoonery. He punches back, hard. He’d be the best thing for this pansy organization, but it’s moot if Sweeney is still steering the roster pool decisions.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Let's say that this is true. The fans don't matter. Well, we sure as hell keep filling up the seats don't we? We expect more, yet still pack the Garden in droves, so what are we talking about here? We the fans, should hold ourselves accountable as well. We're smart enough to tell shit from shinola and act accordingly too.

Just my opinion here, but I would think enjoyment of the game should be paramount for a sports fans.

If winning it all is all that matters, that's quite a lot of life wasted being a "fan".

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
My Hockey Minute / Hot Take

Why would an 80 year old talk to a 90 year old about hockey ?
Fishing... Harry loves Fishing.

Papa Bear: how you guys plan on doing it.
Harry: I'll invite him for a Fishing trip
Papa Bear: You're going to do it yourself?
Harry: No... at the last minute I'll get a phone call and he'll be alone with Don and Cam... it's their mess let them do it.
Papa Bear: Oh I see... like Fredo?
Harry: yes.
Papa Bear: kneels and kisses Harry's hand.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
@Fenway I'm a mixed bag on this:

- I can live with ownership still believing in Cam. I have my opinions, but they are just that and I am not in the room. I think this is very odd and probably unwise, but again what do I know?

- That Papa still listens to Harry Sinden is infuriating to me. That's not odd. It's foolish, exasperating, and makes me want to kick something. I wish both old men (one who knows squat about hockey and the other who's best days are 40 years in the past and his worst days were truly BAD) would just go away.

- Torts? Ooh Boy. Because I'm angry and frustrated -- what the hell? Be like Joker and just watch the world burn. I doubt either Harry or Jerry's hearts could take the fallout. So maybe it's just fine.
Harry was a Senior Advisor as of the 2020-2021 season at 88 years old. That's frightening.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah set up the coach. Who built the roster he has? Cam thinks the team could play a gritty inside game the way it's built? I noticed he said nothing about the all the players he and his GM have acquired to try to do just that who have been complete duds and cost the Bruins draft picks and cap space that could have been better used elsewhere. No need to rehash that list.

Coaches are generally the low-hanging fruit, though. You can't fire the players, and none of these guys is going to fire themselves. Maybe a change gets something more out of the roster, but it's probably more of the same until the FO starts building a better club. They are good right now, but not great, and sliding towards mediocre. A new coach is not going to fix that,

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Like him or not, the team didn’t lose because of Butch. They didn’t lose because of the “way they played”. They lost because their GM whiffed on upgrading the bottom 6, whiffed on the left side of his defense, and never replaced Krejci in the lineup. Now did he have the means (cap space, picks) to do all things? No he did not. And why didn’t he?

Well, because of none other than himself. And the future looks a lot darker than the present. So again…why does he get extended? With a President making those types of hiring decisions, it’s no wonder we get Nick Folignos and Mike Reilly’s on multi year deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad