Management State of the Bruins - Neely 5/19/22 (unedited)

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Cam Neely needs to go.

But if ownership believes in Cam Neely, then I guess the Bruins are doomed to nepotism and poor decisions for a generation. Get ready for management filled-up with former players or people from the local area. We laughed at the Habs for doing that, and now the Bruins are doing the same thing.
The reality is ownership believes in Cam - PERIOD
Papa from all accounts still listens to Harry.

The name that I keep hearing to be the next coach terrifies me

The pride of West Concord, Massachusetts

tortorella-torts.gif

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I live close to Toronto and listen to Fan590 which is predominantly Maple Leafs.... they played clips of Neely and they wished Neely was their guy because their guy Shannahan said everything is good with the Leafs ...no changes required ...even after losing in the 1st round again....and was smug and entitled about it as was Dubas the GM .....I give Kudos of Neely pointing out change is required and not going for Status quo like the Leafs brass ....

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This is just fantastic- you don’t get such info out of Foxboro but if you watch the game without your iPhone in your hand this is so apparent - and that they gave it to us

Unbelievable and I love it

It’s from the Neely article in Athletic by Fluto and a Sweeney quote i it but these two work together to identify a major flaw

Cassidy tells us what everyone is doing wrong and chalks up the loss to ‘not my fault Carolina Is good’

BWAHAHAHAH

Sweeney first raised concerns about playing philosophy, specifically regarding five-on-five production, on Wednesday. The GM cited Carolina’s work at creating action from the blue line, which runs counter to Cassidy’s thinking. Sweeney also noted the necessity of creating in-zone offense instead of relying on the rush game.

Fantastic analysis we shockingly got
They saw what we saw I guess. I kept saying here to dump the puck, dump the puck into the zone. They were thinking the same.

I live close to Toronto and listen to Fan590 which is predominantly Maple Leafs.... they played clips of Neely and they wished Neely was their guy because their guy Shannahan said everything is good with the Leafs ...no changes required ...even after losing in the 1st round again....and was smug and entitled about it as was Dubas the GM .....I give Kudos of Neely pointing out change is required and not going for Status quo like the Leafs brass ....
The only thing is they’ve said changes are needed and haven’t come through.

Reactions: BB88 and Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

tortorella-torts.gif
My Hockey Minute / Hot Take

I don’t see Torts but I endorse the pride of Salem State College

Why would an 80 year old talk to a 90 year old about hockey ?

If Jacobs & Harry talk it’s about the weather not hockey

Cam and Donny publically critiquing Cassidy was a brilliant response that’s getting lots of notice & chuckles in text groups, Hand sanitizer areas and even Dunkin Donuts mobile pick up areas

Early line
Sacco 27%
Kelly 13 %
Torts 9%
Sullivan 7%
Foligno 2%

Reactions: Si Hopkins

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Torts would be a classic hire in the same vein as Keenan back in the day. A perfect distraction by management to take away from their own faults. And hopefully it will end the same way…with the GM then resorting to going behind the bench himself, and then getting canned shortly thereafter.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Politically and practically - I do not want that man behind the bench. Far rather keep cassidy

But something tells me from those interviews that they believe they have sway over cassidy. Believe moving pasta decision was something that came from above. Ultimately it was Cassidy’s choice, but I think he made the right one and it saved his job.

The execution philosophy they are speaking to goes all the way back to pre cup run but the cup run itself was where it really burned us. I think sweeney and Neely are over it, but not in the sense they’re over cassidy. They just expect him to make the changes to the system that need to be made going forward

As far as off season money, foligno was the biggest blunder. But haula was a fine add at the money, Reilly ended up being crucial when Gryzz was no longer good to go, and forbort ended up being super important in the playoffs. You don’t make it to game 7 without him against the canes.

After all that’s been said, seems his biggest blunder was partly in fault of bergeron, a guy I’m sure sweeney wanted to please going into this year.

Definitely more to it than just what we see from 1000 feet

Going into next year I just want to see them start to use more young guns both for cap reasons and because I think many of these guys are the same quality as guys they bring in for 2-3 mill, Clifton is an excellent example. In addition I want to see those system changes be made

You can bitch about cassidy/sweeney/Neely, and maybe one or all should be let go - but they’re a top 10 group in hockey in terms of success, so if you lose them, you better replace them with stand out better guys otherwise you’re just changing for the sake of change which doesn’t seem like a good idea if you’re not going to make major roster changes too. When those guys become available I’m all for it, but the names thrown around have given me indigestion

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Neely is a complete meathead. God, it’s worse than I thought. Does he honestly believe that the players we have are anywhere near good enough? If he does, he’s completely delusional. If not, he probably just wants to insulate his little buddy.

I’m now more convinced than ever that BOTH Sweeney and Neely have to go. What an abomination.
Makes it pretty clear that Bruce will be the fall guy, here.

Convenient.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

tortorella-torts.gif
But one of Cam’s gripes is Bruce’s lack of patience with younger players making mistakes and playing in fear that they’ll be benched when they mess up….how does this jive?

Reactions: Gordoff

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Crazy to me that Cassidy could be fired now, as though they lost because of coaching.

Every year we have a new buy out candidate who was recently signed. Every year we lack secondary scoring. Every year we are thin on defensive talent and guys we’ve kept or recently re-signed get exposed. And we are up against the cap, fresh off losing our #2 center and at risk of losing our #1 with ZERO talent to replace them in the system.

And somehow, some way, the coach could get fired before the GM??? Seems ridiculous.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Quick Hockey Minute

Sweeney & Neely
1. Critiqued Cassidy performance the way he did players
2. Neely said he wanted to see how season went before extended Sweeney & brought up deadline - meaning Cassidy will have to perform
3. Sweeney worked season without contract and he brought up he was comfortable doing it - sending Cassidy a clear message ‘if you are here shut the F up about your contract’ and no worrying about lame duck status- do you r job

Brilliant

But get him out now

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Quick Hockey Minute

Sweeney & Neely
1. Critiqued Cassidy performance the way he did players
2. Neely said he wanted to see how season went before extended Sweeney & brought up deadline - meaning Cassidy will have to perform
3. Sweeney worked season without contract and he brought up he was comfortable doing it - sending Cassidy a clear message ‘if you are here shut the F up about your contract’ and no worrying about lame duck status- do you r job

Brilliant

But get him out now
1. Mediocre roster that Scotty Bowman wouldn't have gotten anymore out of than Bruce.
2. Bounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round.
3. Up in the air about not only a second line center but the first line first ballot HOF center.

Brilliant.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
When Claude was on the hotseat at season end they said very similar things; he's a good coach but needs to change the way he coaches etc.
So he's gone, the only question is when. Do they do it now, or like Claude give him a few months next season to see if he changes and then do it.
Might help Cassidy to remember what Claude repeated to the press about the rumors -
"I don't care".

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Also thought it was very interesting that they mentioned the young players and confidence. That was one of Cassidy's strength's when he got the job; there were countless times young players made huge mistakes and he not only didn't bench them, but as a show of confidence even left them out on the ice to finish their shift.
Somewhere along the line he changed being harder on the young players, sort of like Claude, and it sounds like they didn't like it.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
1. Mediocre roster that Scotty Bowman wouldn't have gotten anymore out of than Bruce.
2. Bounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round.
3. Up in the air about not only a second line center but the first line first ballot HOF center.

Brilliant.
You forgot:

Can’t go a summer without signing a player to a multi year deal that he will look to buy out within 12 months.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
My Hockey Minute / Hot Take

I don’t see Torts but I endorse the pride of Salem State College

Why would an 80 year old talk to a 90 year old about hockey ?

If Jacobs & Harry talk it’s about the weather not hockey

Cam and Donny publically critiquing Cassidy was a brilliant response that’s getting lots of notice & chuckles in text groups, Hand sanitizer areas and even Dunkin Donuts mobile pick up areas

Early line
Sacco 27%
Kelly 13 %
Torts 9%
Sullivan 7%
Foligno 2%

Isn't Sacco the guy that's responsible for the PP?

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Bring on Torts. It can go two ways :
- The coaching change can motivate the team and they will do better
or (more likely)
- He'll call out Dumb and Dumber when he realizes he has 5 good players to put on the ice. And the team will tank and have a slim chance at Bedard.
IMO, Torts would spell the end for David Pastrnak.

Love the guy, but he’s a one way player and it was all too obvious this season. I’d put good money that he’d be the first guy Torts singled out. JDB a close second.

For this reason alone, I don’t see how Torts could be on their radar. Then again, if they’re dumb enough to think that fans believe the coach should go and not the GM, well then….

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
IMO, Torts would spell the end for David Pastrnak.

Love the guy, but he’s a one way player and it was all too obvious this season. I’d put good money that he’d be the first guy Torts singled out. JDB a close second.

For this reason alone, I don’t see how Torts could be on their radar. Then again, if they’re dumb enough to think that fans believe the coach should go and not the GM, well then….

I think with hiring Torts it would be less about winning hockey and more about waiting for post game interview sound bites

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When Claude was on the hotseat at season end they said very similar things; he's a good coach but needs to change the way he coaches etc.
So he's gone, the only question is when. Do they do it now, or like Claude give him a few months next season to see if he changes and then do it.
Might help Cassidy to remember what Claude repeated to the press about the rumors -
"I don't care".

I thought that was U.S. Marshal Samuel Gerard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad