#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part III : Time to Synchronize Synergies!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Wow, no wonder he left. No way we sign STastny for that amount. He would be foolish to take it.

Good for Avs not to get sucked into offer him "FA-money" either. Around 5.8M for 6 years is a pretty generous offer for a player of his standards. But I get that him being the best center on the market changed things.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Wow, no wonder he left. No way we sign STastny for that amount. He would be foolish to take it.

Agreed. Offer should have been 6x6.25m.

I'm starting to wonder with this ROR situation not resolving so far if Sakic and Roy are learning a bit of the "don't count your chickens". It just feels like they expected Stastny and ROR to fall in line with the structure they had in mind, and what was great top 6 depth, especially at center, is soon to be just good top 6 depth.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You are probably correct if that was their best offer.

Just an unfortunate end to a very good complimentary but never a core player in the Burgundy and Blue.

IMO, He wasn't a complimentary player.

I'd say theres 3 tiers of players: Core, Key, and Complimentary.

Stastny was a key player.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
IMO, He wasn't a complimentary player.

I'd say theres 3 tiers of players: Core, Key, and Complimentary.

Stastny was a key player.

I agree with you, he may have not been a core player, but he was far more than a complementary player.

Unfortunately I've been told by many he was complementary and with the Iginla signing, clearly replaceable.

I think his presence will be missed as he really seemed to get on well with just about the entire team, was a calming presence on the ice, and was a veteran leader for the young guys. Those intangibles aren't mentioned much around here of late.

edit: I'd add a 4th and 5th tier
4th - Fillers
5th - Hunwicks and Zanons

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Good for Avs not to get sucked into offer him "FA-money" either. Around 5.8M for 6 years is a pretty generous offer for a player of his standards. But I get that him being the best center on the market changed things.

Well I would rather pay Stastny 7 mil a season for 4 years than Orpik $5,5mil for 5 years. Avalanche was ready to pay, but not for Stastny. They believed he was luxury they could lose. They probably thought Iginla would make them better team anyway.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't think they ever expected Stastny to sign.

I agree with this. I think Stastny would look even little bit silly taking this deal. He got offered way more money and we are talking about over a million per season. Certainly can't blame him for leaving. I'm sure he wanted to stay, but If this was the best offer? Yeah.. It was never going to happen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I still think at the heart of it the Avs offering more years and more guaranteed than the Blues makes it a good offer from the Avs. I don't blame him for taking the Blues offer but anyone who is going to be north of 30 in these contract years having an extra sum guaranteed shouldn't be taken lightly.

I can agree on the 5 tier system as I believe 8 guys are not core players anyway.

18Mike18

Aug 3, 2007
BC
The Avs should have signed him, 6.5-7M if they could, sucks how it went down, but honestly, He made the right choice to leave, in the end, its better for him, the Blues need him, the Avs didn't and don't need him, it was a was a surplus, coming from a person who is a huge Stastny fan. Besides 4 years, anything can happen, can come back win a cup, who knows.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
The Avs should have signed him, 6.5-7M if they could, sucks how it went down, but honestly, He made the right choice to leave, in the end, its better for him, the Blues need him, the Avs didn't and don't need him, it was a was a surplus, coming from a person who is a huge Stastny fan. Besides 4 years, anything can happen, can come back win a cup, who knows.

That is bad cap management.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I think it was a huge mistake letting him go, but over 6.5m was too much.

I think between 6.25-6.5 would have made sense and likely got the deal done. Should be in the "structure" since Duchene's UFA years are more than that.

As for not needing him, that can be debated and will be seen once the season starts and when the ROR situation plays out. I think Stastny could have transitioned to wing because he is smart and skilled, giving MacK more time to transition into the role of center, but apparently that wasn't in the cards.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Question, keep Staz and not anther core player? I don't see it but I like Staz... Only advantage of a trade last yeAr would be sending him East... It sure. Will be interesting playing the blues

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
What's the question here? It's obvious that at that time Foote was going to be the Captain. But I don't think it would have been a bad choice after Foote to give Stastny the C. By pretty much all accounts he is a big time locker room leader, especially with the young guys. Landy leaned on him a lot this past year supposedly.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
What's the question here? It's obvious that at that time Foote was going to be the Captain. But I don't think it would have been a bad choice after Foote to give Stastny the C. By pretty much all accounts he is a big time locker room leader, especially with the young guys. Landy leaned on him a lot this past year supposedly.

Agree

It does beg the question of the "leadership" factor that was lost. All these spins of how much leadership Iginla, Briere, and Stuart bring, but nary a mention of how much "glue" or leadership was lost when Stastny left.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will be evident this season and although the new additions will help, I think there is a lot to be said for having a player with the apparent teamwide chemistry Stastny had.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure if this had been mentioned or not. I hadn't seen it, but I just noticed Stastny got a NTC from St Louis according to Cap Geek. And according to one article it's a full no trade clause.

With some of his comments about being a bit worried about becoming the odd man out with Matt and Nate, I would bet he wanted a NTC from the Avs as well, and that was probably a big sticking point. I would guess the Avs probably didn't want to go this route, given what seemed to be a lack of interest in bringing him back given they never even got to $6M.

Didn't really want to bump this thread again, but I wasn't sure if the NTC had been brought up.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Stastny was the best UFA forward, so not surprised. The top free agents seem to always get them. If the Avs didn't want to give him a NTC, I could see that bugging him more than the money.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In Dater's last mailbag he says the Avs got "close" to Stastny's previous salary but he doesn't know exactly how close, which is a departure from what he previously said about the 6/35. Anyone else catch that? Or do we think close and 6/35 mean the same thing?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In Dater's last mailbag he says the Avs got "close" to Stastny's previous salary but he doesn't know exactly how close, which is a departure from what he previously said about the 6/35. Anyone else catch that? Or do we think close and 6/35 mean the same thing?

Dater thinking $5.9M is close to $6.6M is entirely possible. Then again, reporting they never got to $6M, and then saying they got in the $6.5M range is entirely possible for Dater too.

That 6/35 thing was the one piece of relevant factual info he provided all year, and now he's back peddling from it.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Within a 1.0M from his earlier salary can be considered close in my book. Especially when we get up to these numbers. It's not like offering someone who just made 1.5M to go down to 600k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad