#StastnyWatch - Summer of 2014 - Part III : Time to Synchronize Synergies!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
35m guaranteed is also more than the 28m he got from the Blues. But no I don't blame him either.

Betting on himself to stay healthy/productive and then get another decent sized contract in 4 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another ~$20M since he'll only be 32.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Anything under 6.25M was the only thing reasonable for the Avs. In a few years, the guy will be the 3rd center on the team. Stastny could have and did get more money elsewhere, but he got it on a team desperate for a center. The Avs weren't that desperate.

Or in a few years he could have been a solid Winger along with Landeskog when MacK moves to center. Seems it has happened on the team before

Or he could have held down the 2C position for another year or two and then the Avs could have used a likely limited NTC to work with Stastny and get him to a team he wanted and that needed him.

Or in a few years, the market for a very good 3C capable of being a top 6 player could be 6.25m/year.

My only point is there were more positive options for the team by re-signing him at 6.25 than there were negative options.

Perhaps I over value Stastny, Perhaps he did not want to stay for 6.25m, perhaps the Sakic/Roy plan will make me look foolish, just my conjecture, but I think they mis-played their cards and lost.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Do you really think we won't make playoffs?

I think there is a very good chance the Avs get edged out by Minnesota for 3rd in the division, and possibly Dallas and Phoenix for the wild card spots.

I think
- ROR - Duchene - Iginla line will be very good offensively.
- Barrie will play well, but not quite to the production level where he was at the end of the season.
- MacKinnon will progress over all, but will struggle on both ends of the ice while he learns to handle the added responsibility that goes with being the #2C
- Varly will come back to his career norm a bit (but will still be very good)
- Stastny will be noticibly missed
- Iginla will add offense for sure, but struggle with the speed of the Avs and the West
- Stuart will be underwhelming and be GDT fodder
- Briere and Winchester over all will just be a re-shuffled wash of PAP and Cliche regarding impact on the season.
- Redmond I have hope for, but he will be buried behind EJ and Barrie most likely until at least mid season before Roy starts putting more trust in him and adding tougher minutes.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think there is a very good chance the Avs get edged out by Minnesota for 3rd in the division, and possibly Dallas and Phoenix for the wild card spots.

I think
- Barrie will play well, but not quite to the production level where he was at the end of the season.
- MacKinnon will progress over all, but will struggle on both ends of the ice while he learns to handle the added responsibility that goes with being the #2C
- Iginla will add offense for sure, but struggle with the speed of the Avs and the West
- Briere and Winchester over all will just be a re-shuffled wash of PAP and Cliche regarding impact on the season.
- Redmond I have hope for, but he will be buried behind EJ and Barrie most likely until at least mid season before Roy starts putting more trust in him and adding tougher minutes.

i think nucks will give also tough comp. they won't be as bad next year.

other than that, i agree with everything you outlined. couldn't have said it better myself. kudos to you.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
i think nucks will give also tough comp. they won't be as ad next year.

other than that, i agree with everything you outlined. couldn't have said it better myself. kudos to you.

Waiting on how the Nucks roster shakes out, but I agree. Signing Miller was a good start and I think their return on Kesler was under appreciated initially (myself included).

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I just see a bunch positives going into next year, but maybe it's just me farting rainbows.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I think

I think a lot of people have differing opinions about this offseason, but this is right in line with how I feel as well with a few exceptions.

Iggys speed is overblown, both Duchene and Radar are great at finding the trailer, and they work great together on the rush where the third doesnt need to be right beside them.

Stuart I have hope for. He was pretty abyssal for the Sharks last year, but I dont think hes entirely finished yet. We definitely overpayed for him, but hes still a solid addition.

First 20 games is going to be a bit painful with the team trying to adjust without Stastny. Lets see how it goes afterwards.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Now that Stastny left via UFA, only Elliott and Wilson remain as pieces of the Lindros trade.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think a lot of people have differing opinions about this offseason, but this is right in line with how I feel as well with a few exceptions.

Iggys speed is overblown, both Duchene and Radar are great at finding the trailer, and they work great together on the rush where the third doesnt need to be right beside them.

Stuart I have hope for. He was pretty abyssal for the Sharks last year, but I dont think hes entirely finished yet. We definitely overpayed for him, but hes still a solid addition.

First 20 games is going to be a bit painful with the team trying to adjust without Stastny. Lets see how it goes afterwards.

I hope you are right about Stuart, but he looked pretty bad from what I remember of Sharks games.

Iginla I don't doubt will be effective as a trailer, but the Avs love the up and down game and often get caught chasing their men in their own end which is where my concern lies.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Dont underestimate the fact that Stuart and Briere are in contract years. The power of the almighty dollar can be a huge influence in performance.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Now that I think about it, we did re-acquire Tanguay. So if we traded him he might count towards the tree again? I dunno.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just saw Duchene tweet a picture with the hashtag #Stazwedding.
He also said he's headed to Vail. At least he didn't decide to get married in St. Louis too lol

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
They should've lowered the percentage of cap that nay single player can make to 10% in the last CBA.

It's 15% now, right?

69 * .15 = 10.35, so not sure how Kane/Toews get 10.5... Cap must be just over 69M??? :dunno:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think

These are very much what I think will happen as well. Except I think MacK will finish strong, and figure a lot of things out during the stretch run and into the playoffs. He's a quick learner, and I think he may start to get it, but it will take most of the season, and it will probably be a rough first month or so.

Also, I think Winchester will be a nice addition to the 3th line because of his speed and tenacious battle in front of the opponents net. I think he'll form a nice chemistry with McLeod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad