Stastny vs iginla

member 116861

Iggy all day. It's better for the team. Stastny at 6 hurts us down the road. Plus Iggy is a much more consistent player. Let's not forget the weak play Stastny put out before his contract season. Blues are feeling that hurt now.

Uhh, what?!?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Iggy all day. It's better for the team. Stastny at 6 hurts us down the road. Plus Iggy is a much more consistent player. Let's not forget the weak play Stastny put out before his contract season. Blues are feeling that hurt now.

Switch places on the names and this post is very accurate.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Uhh, what?!?

Pretty sure the poster meant season-to-season wise and not game-by-game wise, which is true. Season by season, Iginla has been more consistent than Stastny and there isn't a single person who can debate otherwise. 12 consecutive 30+ goal season prior to this one not including lockout shortened seasons is the epitome of consistency

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Pretty sure the poster meant season-to-season wise and not game-by-game wise, which is true. Season by season, Iginla has been more consistent than Stastny and there isn't a single person who can debate otherwise. 12 consecutive 30+ goal season prior to this one not including lockout shortened seasons is the epitome of consistency

I've been one of Iggys biggest supporters this year, but the dude doesn't offer much more than his scoring these days. Obviously that is important too, but Stastny is a top 6 two way centre who is reliable in all zones. Much better player to have for team purposes.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Stastny is better player at this point and If he signed for that amount I would have to say pretty easily Stastny, but Iggy makes way less money, is a wing etc.. We need more Iginla type of player than Stastny.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Obviously Stastny, only an idiot would pick Iggy here, but you can't force players to sign contracts they don't want to. So that wasn't actually an option, even without the discount...just like we would rather keep ROR than trade him, but that may not be an option either.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I picked Iggy mostly because of the contracts. Although I also think Iggy is the better, more productive player.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I picked Iggy mostly because of the contracts. Although I also think Iggy is the better, more productive player.

Really? I think Stastny is superior player at this point. Iginla in his prime was way better than STastny though. Iggy is way better goal scorer though, which we need more imo. Iginla fits our needs better than Stastny, when you have centers like Duchene, MacKinnon and O'Reilly, you dont really need Stastny. It would be too much luxury.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Y'all be trippin. A 30-30 PF is much more rare than a 2 way #2C... especially when the Avs have ROR. Without ROR I can see the debate, but as of now the Avs have ROR. Stastny is a good player at this point, but he is just a solid #2C that is on the edge of declining (I'd debate that he is). Iggy has already declined but is still a solid 1st line PF that can still pot 30g a season. That is still a top 20 goal scorer in the NHL. Yeah he doesn't provide much defensively, but he is physical, stands up for his teammates, and scores goals. On a team that still debatably has 3 top 6 centers after Stastny... Iggy is the better fit.

Years 4-6 would hurt the Avs on a 6x6 contract for Stastny. Year 3 would probably hurt as well, it will be tight with Iggy as it stands.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Y'all be trippin. A 30-30 PF is much more rare than a 2 way #2C... especially when the Avs have ROR. Without ROR I can see the debate, but as of now the Avs have ROR. Stastny is a good player at this point, but he is just a solid #2C that is on the edge of declining (I'd debate that he is). Iggy has already declined but is still a solid 1st line PF that can still pot 30g a season. That is still a top 20 goal scorer in the NHL. Yeah he doesn't provide much defensively, but he is physical, stands up for his teammates, and scores goals. On a team that still debatably has 3 top 6 centers after Stastny... Iggy is the better fit.

Years 4-6 would hurt the Avs on a 6x6 contract for Stastny. Year 3 would probably hurt as well, it will be tight with Iggy as it stands.

i wouldn't call iggy PF anymore. sniper who can stnad up for his teammates.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Iggy was very much a PF this year. He actually surprised me with how hard he was on the forecheck at his age.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
i wouldn't call iggy PF anymore. sniper who can stnad up for his teammates.

If he isn't now, he never was in your eyes. He is about as physical as he has ever been and uses his body the same. He has just lost a step compared to what he used to be and that can render him less effective than he was... but he plays the same style.

*shrug* ROR was a better winger than Iggy, and Staz was on par with ROR as a C.

ROR for all of his great qualities, doesn't have Iggy's physicality and shot. They are different sorts of players. ROR is a much better 2 way player.

Stastny was close to ROR as a C (I believe ROR to be a tad better), but ROR is in his prime... Stastny is leaving it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If he isn't now, he never was in your eyes. He is about as physical as he has ever been and uses his body the same. He has just lost a step compared to what he used to be and that can render him less effective than he was... but he plays the same style.

he was before he had that knee injury 6-7 years ago. after that he hasn't driven to the net like he used to.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've been one of Iggys biggest supporters this year, but the dude doesn't offer much more than his scoring these days. Obviously that is important too, but Stastny is a top 6 two way centre who is reliable in all zones. Much better player to have for team purposes.

Disagree. Iginla brings that power forward game that this group was lacking, and can be a great mentor for Landeskog on how to score goals as a big strong player. This team needs Iggy more than Staz

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I thought Iggy was very much a PF this year. He actually surprised me with how hard he was on the forecheck at his age.

Thats nice but he lost almost every puck battle in the corner :laugh: as for the question prolly iggy only because Casper has a way of dissapearing when its not a contract year. Funny how that works. He was an absolute ghost against the Wild.

svatoscollecor

May 14, 2015
For the Avalanche, I think Iginla is a better fit, because of the amount of centerman we have on the team. O'Reilly will probably become the 2nd line certer long terme, and we'll forget Stastny and his 7M$ contract fairly quickly

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The loss of Stastny hurt no doubt, but I think I would go with Iginla. Stastny just seems too mellow. No ups or downs with him. I like the fire Iginla can bring. Watching him try and fight Phaneuf, embarrass Robidas, pound Schenn, and tune Jackman and Callahan was awesome. He would have put up more points too if the team hadn't slumped so hard.

He's the perfect role model for Landeskog, whom we have already seen become more assertive dropping the gloves.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm trying to imagine heading into next year if Duchene hadn't finally developed some chemistry with Iginla the last couple months of the season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm trying to imagine heading into next year if Duchene hadn't finally developed some chemistry with Iginla the last couple months of the season.

I keep overlooking the chemistry that Iggy and Dutchy had but it actually was really really good. I know Tanguay and Iggy had some great moments together and all but if it wasn't for Matt Duchene I don't know if Iggy scores more than 20-23 goals last year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Stastny at his current contract.

Unless he had a full NMC, theres no way he would hurt us long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad