Stastny/ROR: Either, Neither, or Both?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not directly connected but I really hope we play Ryan on the point on the first unit pp next to Barrie. Would be the best way to utilize Ryan's slapper and passing while he'd also be our best forward to put next to Barrie defensively so we don't give up all if the shorties sacco's PPs did.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We're all just hypothesizing right now since we don't have a crystal ball, so I admit I could be wrong. I think this is an interesting discussion though, so I'll just break down all the the reasons why I feel the way I do, since I've talked about them all in separate posts, and it's more of a cumulative thing than one reason being the deciding factor by itself.

I've thought about this for a long time because I could see the writing on the wall, especially after drafting Nate, but I've never really organized my thoughts all together. I was gonna start a new thread about it, but it's basically the same topic so I might as well post it here.

My Preference

I think the Avs need to become a little more top heavy, and make their franchise players in Duchene, MacKinnon, and Landeskog their go to players, and make sure they are being played top minutes in a go to role.

This also includes playing the more or less secondary skill wingers like PAP and Tanguay in top two line offensive roles. Guys like McGinn and Downie are versatile and don't necessarily have top end skill, so they can play in different roles through the top three lines depending on the situation, and whether the lines need shuffling.

The Linemate Problem

This is a big part of it. We've seen in the past that Duchene needs skill wingers to play with, and is kinda picky with who he develops chemistry with. The only player he's really developed any consistent chemistry with is PAP. Stastny also has displayed that when he doesn't play with a skilled sniper, he underperforms. Having a PF type benefits him as well, but it's really the sniper aspect that he benefits from as a playmaker, and the skill aspect that he benefits from playing a give and go game.

This basically means they need two fairly highly skilled players (they don't have to be dynamo's but somewhere around a PAP level) for each of them.

Then you're left with your 1st overall franchise center Nathan MacKinnon. Surely he has to play with a similarly talented player, or you're wasting him as a 1st overall pick. If they had expectations of him contributing at a lesser level playing in a lesser role, they should have drafted Jones or someone else.

Now you need three talented wingers. So far only PAP has developed chemistry with Duchene, so they'll be tied to the hip for the most part, and as of now going into the season, the guys Stastny has had chemistry with are playing on other teams. So at best we're assuming he'll find chemistry with someone.

All of this makes balancing the lines tough in and of itself but it's only one aspect.

The Star Player Role

This is another big factor. We've seen it time and time again in history. In order to win a cup, your star players have to be your go to guys over the course of a season and the playoffs. You can get away with them slumping and other players stepping up in spurts. This can get you through parts of a season, or a round or two in the playoffs, but it's not going to get you through an entire season and all the way to the Stanley Cup.

Highly skilled offensive players benefit the most playing big minutes, and they relish playing in the go to role. All players benefit from playing more minutes because it helps them get into a rhythm in a game. Relishing the go to role is something usually isolated to "skill players" because they have spent their entire time from a young age all the way through their NHL years, being the best players on teams, and have developed a certain amount of confidence/ego in themselves and desire to be among the best.

When you take that role away from them, even just a little as far as putting them in a 3 line rotation, and less or 2nd PP minutes, it disrupts their rhythm and puts a little chink in their confidence armor.

Three Offensive Centers vs Top Heavy Two Lines

This is more of a philosophical idea to an extent. One theory is that when you have these three offensive lines like this they don't push themselves as much. It's similar to the Star Player Role aspect that I mentioned above. They don't have to be the go to guy because there's eight other players that can chip in. It can cause players to sit back the way the natural response can be to sit back when a star player comes back from injury.

So instead of three offensive lines which is the way it looks on paper, you have three lesser lines. Possibly watered down because you spread out the talented wingers. All three lines aren't all playing and producing the way they would if they were a go to 1st or even 2nd line.

This is all due to the linemates, the role issue, the minutes issue, all of these things. So with all of these things does the production and end result really match what you hoped for with three lines, or are you using three lines to get the production you might have with two, and removing the option of having your 3rd line have success offensively playing a different style, and focusing more on specialized role situations and defense.

There's no way to prove it, but if there was I would bet all my money that a top heavy two lines based around Duchene and MacKinnon along with an O'Reilly 3rd line playing a lesser role, would at least match the offensive production of a three offensive line approach with Duchene, MacKinnon, and Stastny.

With this matched production, they'd also have a 3rd line that the other didn't, that can focus more on specialty roles like matchups, and just approaching the game from a different style where they take what's given to them and feed off turnovers, rather than pushing the play trying to "create" offense.

When your offensive lines get shut down playing against a smart defensive team in the playoffs, this is where you need that X factor and other guys who play a different style to get your through to the next round by chipping in offensively because they approach offense from a different mindest and they don't get "shut down" and stifled the way an offensive line would.

O'Reilly vs Stastny

This is probably the big thing for most people, and what the thread was about, but in my mind as you can see it's a little more complicated than that. Other things are more important as to the reasons they should focus on for making the decisions they will make.

As for the choice between the two, as I've mentioned the Avs should have a top two line appraoch, and let the 3rd line play a lesser role. It shouldn't be devoid of offense and it won't with O'Reilly, and Downie and whoever. They're underrated offensive players, and have both smarts and skill. Downie also plays a good disrupter role, which most of the time you want to keep in a fairly selective role, rather than sending them out there for 18-20 minutes a game to fly off the handle.

This is something I haven't touched on in other posts, but I don't get a sense Stastny would play a more defensive role as a 3rd center. I don't think the team would ask him to as much either. He's an offensive guy, he's approached the game that way his entire NHL career. He's good defensively, and could play a defensive 3rd center role, but with him on the team I think both he and the coach will be looking for him to push the action.

O'Reilly on the other hand has shown an elite defensive ability, and approached the game from a defensive standpoint. In his third year when he pushed the play a little more and scored more points, he still focused more heavily on his defensive zone play, and neutral zone turnovers than Stastny does.

Ideally what I would like to see is for them to give O'Reilly his $5M+ so they get that issue out of the way. Then reign him back a little in terms of pushing the play like he did in his 3rd year, but let his confidence from that success, and Roy coach him to play a legit two way game with a little more offense than he generated his first couple year. Great defense, specialized situational play, and some offense and create offense. I have no doubt O'Reilly could do this playing in a lesser role.

This satisfies the selective roles they need to fill to be competitive over the long haul and in the playoffs, and keeps some offense on the 3rd line as well. Most importantly it removes the 3rd line from being a threat to take away minutes, linemates, and the go to role from the top two lines.

There's also a secondary option of keeping O'Reilly on wing, and finding another 3rd line center via trade, UFA, or from within but I don't like that option as much.

Cup Winning Teams

Every year we see it in the playoffs. The team that wins the cup gels at the right time, their star players are their go to guys, and they keep things simple with everyone playing their roles. The defensive guys play their roles, the offensive guys play their roles. The special teams roles have to perform well especially the PK. The defensive guys have to chip in a little offensively, and most of the offensive guys have to play good defense even though they're not focusing on this aspect in their role.

The main idea though in reference to this situation is that everyone has clearcut roles, and this allows the star players to play in the offensive roles, and the 3rd line guys to play in their roles. One could say that a Stastny line could play this lesser role, but I just don't see that happening. It will be too tempting to coax more offense out of Staz, and it will play in an "offensive role." Teams just don't win the cup trying to outscore everyone, they need those lesser unappreciated roles filled from more than a 4th line playing five or six minutes a game.

Cap Space

This is a lesser issue and may not come in to play that much, it's hard to tell. At least for the foreseeable future it shouldn't impact their decision to keep O'Reilly and Stastny. They have the cap space, the cap should go up next year and every year after, while they have Duchene and Landeksog during that time on fairly cheap numbers.

Where it might get tricky is when MacKinnon is due for a raise with a much bigger cap, and how they plan to ice a competitive D. Paying Varly if he establishes himself in the near future, or another top goalie if he doesn't work out, could play a hand as well.

It also could make it very difficult to afford a dynamic winger as the finishing touch to their lineup. They'd be more or less set with their group after paying MacKinnon what he's worth, and paying a legit D Core and legit goalie what they're worth.

This is all down the road, but they need to plan for it now when deciding on re-signing Stastny especially. He's not going to sign a two or three year deal as a UFA.

The D

This also is a lesser issue than the main points above. The issue by itself is HUGE, but not necessarily in relation to what they do with O'Reilly and Stastny, or the three offensive center approach.

Where it might come into play is using one of Stastny or O'Reilly to package or bring in a D by themselves. At first glance it would appear that O'Reilly would have more value in trade. His QO, and price he might be asking for could change that. As could the price that rentals in general have at the deadline, in which case Staz could bring in a good young NHL D if a team already has a couple go to's ahead of them.

In a vacuum this is something you'd have to weigh as to what the better option would be. IMO though, with all the other reasons I've mentioned, and the fact that the trade value may not be too far apart, it's an easy decision to move Stastny for some help on D, even if it's not a home run return, or O'Reilly could have brought back more.

5th Year of Rebuild and Beyond

They're kind of at a crossroads in how they're building their team. The D needs a lot of work. They'll want to allow themselves the option to add a dynamic winger in the future or tweak the winger group. Most importantly though it's just time.

They can't be playing this wait and see game forever, and with Duchene taking the step he did last year, the selection of MacKinnon making him a big part of the future, the management re-shuffling, and with just the fan impatience at this point after continually missing the playoffs, and being a decade removed from Stanley Cup contention, they need to pick a direction and go with it. Go all in so to speak, and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but they have to be decisive and try to make what they go with work.

Last Thoughts

It's a very complicated situation, and what really needs to happen for a Duchene/Mack/Stastny group to perform like some hope/think is for all these things more or less to go in a positive direction rather than what I'm worried about. That's why it's a cumulative thing.

Very much based on the odds of that happening, as well as most these things have proven themselves to be the case in history as far as my reasoning in the points above, I think you have to edge towards going with a more traditional top heavy approach, and cut ties with Stastny instead of keeping him as a 3rd center with Matt and Nate.

The decision to keep O'Reilly at center on the defacto 3rd line or at wing is a separate decision. They both have their merit as using O'Reilly in this role is a bit of a waste, and depending on how well he adjusts to the wing he may be more productive in that role. As I mentioned though, I think it suits the "team" much better to keep him in this 3rd line role, where he'll still be able to provide offense, and even used a bit more offensively than most teams 3rd lines, but play in a "role" where he focuses a lot on situational play within games and defense.

Keeping O'Reilly in this 3rd line role also allows them the ability to add a dynamic winger in the future to build on their top heavy approach. Adding this winger most likely won't happen with Stastny and O'Reilly on the team making semi big bucks. It won't work out space wise either and it will be tough to find an open spot.

If it makes it any easier what's better? A highly talented and productive Thomas Vanek or someone similar down the road playing next to Duchene with an elite two way center in O'Reilly centering the 3rd line? Or the less productive O'Reilly on Duchene's wing and the more offensive minded Stastny on the 3rd line?

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Stastny mostly played a 3rd/defensive line role last season. Maybe not in minutes, but in assignments. Constantly against the other team's best lines and taking the majority of his starts in defensive zone (something like 58% last season). To say that Stastny wouldn't play that role is just untrue. He did, and didn't complain. By all accounts he is a team player. Now will he want a top 6 minute role after his contract ends, naturally I'm sure he would. He can still have that on the Avs.

If loading up the top 6 is what you want, it is easily possible. Mac has played RW before, and Stastny has played LW before. This top 6 could easily be run:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Stastny-Mac-Landy or Landy-Stastny-Mac

There are two important factors to think about beyond just the ROR vs Stastny debate. Downie could easily leave after this season. Tanguay could easily decline rapidly as he is entering his mid 30s now.

If the Avs can get both signed for <6m, they should.

If it makes it any easier what's better? A highly talented and productive Thomas Vanek or someone similar down the road playing next to Duchene with an elite two way center in O'Reilly centering the 3rd line? Or the less productive O'Reilly on Duchene's wing and the more offensive minded Stastny on the 3rd line?

This strictly depends on the price. Vanek is likely to command 7.5-8m on the open market. That extra ~2m is better spent trying to get a 2m better defensemen... somebody like a Pitkanen instead of Wilson. So, I think the best option is for the Avs to move Stastny to the top line LW, and ROR on the 3rd line... with the way Roy has talked this won't happen unless ROR fails at LW.

Last edited:

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Stastny mostly played a 3rd/defensive line role last season. Maybe not in minutes, but in assignments. Constantly against the other team's best lines and taking the majority of his starts in defensive zone (something like 58% last season). To say that Stastny wouldn't play that role is just untrue. He did, and didn't complain. By all accounts he is a team player. Now will he want a top 6 minute role after his contract ends, naturally I'm sure he would. He can still have that on the Avs.

If loading up the top 6 is what you want, it is easily possible. Mac has played RW before, and Stastny has played LW before. This top 6 could easily be run:

ROR-Duchene-PAP

There are two important factors to think about beyond just the ROR vs Stastny debate. Downie could easily leave after this season. Tanguay could easily decline rapidly as he is entering his mid 30s now.

This strictly depends on the price. Vanek is likely to command 7.5-8m on the open market. That extra ~2m is better spent trying to get a 2m better defensemen... somebody like a Pitkanen instead of Wilson. So, I think the best option is for the Avs to move Stastny to the top line LW, and ROR on the 3rd line... with the way Roy has talked this won't happen unless ROR fails at LW.

Or even:

Stastny-Duchene-PA
Landy-ROR-Mack

IMO if we could keep those six up front and they could all play in those positions...that would be my ideal lineup. Build the 3rd and 4th lines from prospects and UFAs next offseason. McGinn is nice on the third line, I think Downie probably leaves but if he doesn't...I'd like him on the third line. Problem is Tanguay. I don't want him on the third line but his decline could be imminent. From what he says though, he feels like he still has a lot of road ahead of him. In that case I trade Stastny and slot Tanguay up with Duchene and PAP. But on NHL 14, I'm definitely going for the top 6 above..

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
When is the 2014-15 cap announced btw? Clearly it's gotta be before RFA and UFA...is it decided in season, the playoffs or right after the Cup is handed out?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When is the 2014-15 cap announced btw? Clearly it's gotta be before RFA and UFA...is it decided in season, the playoffs or right after the Cup is handed out?

Going by past years, after the trading deadline, but before the cup is presented. Early estimates are pointing to $68m.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would prefer to keep both Stastny and ROR to have the luxury of options as explained here, plus if there is one major injury it certainly changes the dynamic of the lines but with enough talent left to fill the holes. My question is if ROR wants the big $ contract is he going to want a defensive 3C role, would the team even go for that? And in Stastny's case even if the "balanced 3 scoring lines" concept is pitched to him, it is still the 3C role. If the Avs can afford it and get both to sign, great but my concern is neither guy ultimately wants that role. Maybe they agree if they want to stay on the team and if they see enough opportunity in injury or just from inevitable line shuffling.

A point Foppa brought up is about chemistry and I see that as an important factor. With a more top heavy top 6 or with a balanced 3 scoring lines, which has the better shot at producing the best chemistry? Is it more dependent on the particular player or the type of player they are (sniper, playmaker, power forward, etc)? Also how does time with certain linemates factor into that? Considering we don't know what the team looks like where both Duchene and Landy are having a great year at the same time plus not knowing who MacKinnon will have the best chemistry with, it's difficult to say right now if the heavy top 6 or the 3 balanced lines would work better.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With some smart drafting, I think the Avs have enough talent to keep running the 3 line system for a while.

As it currently stands:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-Tanguay
McGinn-Mac-Downie

Now assuming Downie leaves, but ROR and Stastny stay long-term and Mac runs the 2nd line 14-15 could look like this:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Mac-Tanguay
Sgarbossa-Stastny-McGinn

Sgarbossa fills in nicely as a 2nd/3rd line LW, and I don't think he is far off from being NHL ready. I think by 14/15 he will be ready for sure. Hishon could be another answer there as well.

Now we are assuming Tanguay falls off quickly:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Mac-Sgarbossa/Hishon
Hishon/Sgarbossa-Stastny-McGinn

Still a pretty damn good lineup on paper. Agozzino would be the back-up after that, and I'm not sure he has NHL level skills bug he could surprise. The 2014 1st or 2nd round pick could also be a wing. Blandisi, Meurs, Condon, Heard, etc could surprise.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

ROR-Duchene-PAP

The Stastny example only further proves my point in my mind and I have lots to say about this.

Firstly, who someone is matched up against is very misleading in terms of what we are talking about. You could consistently match up anyone against other teams top lines, it doesn't mean they'll focus on defense. You could play Tyler Aranson against all the teams top lines all season, he'll still be looking to provide offense, and not focusing on defense.

Stastny clearly isn't Arnason and is good defensively himself, but he didn't approach the game from a defensive stand point, he was in a scoring role. He had a disappointing season because he didn't score. If he was playing in a lesser 3rd line role where scoring wasn't his priority, like I'm saying they should get back to with O'Reilly, it wouldn't have been considered a disappointing season.

My basic premise is they need to go back to the 3rd center playing a lesser role, where he focuses more on other areas of the game, rather than scoring being their main goal. Scoring is the main focus of the top two lines. The 3rd line still needs to contribute, and it will with O'Reilly, Downie, and whoever, but it isn't their main priority. It fills in these much needed areas, because these areas aren't the priority of the scoring lines so they don't really get fulfilled as much as needed throughout the course of a seasons and a playoff run to the Stanley Cup. Especially up the middle where it's most important.

Essentially they should have the 3rd center playing a simple game the way Jordan Staal did with the Pens behind Crosby and Malkin. I think they can and could play O'Reilly in the role. I don't see them playing Stastny in that role, they'll be looking for him to play a scoring role, and simply put he's not as good in this lesser two way role as O'Reilly is. This is where my idea that three offensive lines doesn't work out as well as hoped because of the linemate issue, the go to role for offensive players, and the other reasons I mentioned.

Out of all the centers only Duchene had what would be considered a good season, and they had trouble finding linemates for Stastny and O'Reilly. Now they're facing putting their 1st overall franchise center in that same position by adding him to the three offensive center approach.

Most importantly, they had another horrible season. This is not proof for why Stastny and the team did well with this three center approach. We can't use failed seasons as an example for what they should do moving forward.

In terms of loading up what we already have on the wing, it doesn't matter if MacKinnon has briefly played RW before, or Stastny might have played some LW in college 8 years ago, they shouldn't be messing around with this. Every player on the team likely has played some wing before at some point, and as we saw with Duchene, shifting these top end guys to the wing ins't always a great idea and is very risky in terms of how you're developing young players.

As for the price of Vanek vs a defenseman, that was my point. They likely will only have the space to bring in a couple good defenseman, and get a dynamic winger down the road OR fix the D and keep both Stastny and O'Reilly. This is because the price of paying Mac in a few years, fixing the D, and paying whoever the goalie is that is playing at the level needed, will likely match how much the cap is going up. If fixing the D is the constant in both scenarios, then Vanek or someone similar on wing makes way more sense than either of O'Reilly or Stastny, and O'Reilly makes more sense to me as the 3rd center than Stastny.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Going by past years, after the trading deadline, but before the cup is presented. Early estimates are pointing to $68m.

That could be a conservative number too. The cap went down a lot this upcoming season as opposed to it usually going up, and there will be 6 outdoor games as opposed to the usual 1. There also weren't as many big money contracts thrown out this summer.

Also, not sure how much it will benefit, but finding a legit owner for the Coyotes seems like it could only help with league revenues, since the NHL won't basically own it and run it anymore.

My guess is the cap will go up to at least what they were allowed to spend to last season at $70.2M, and my hunch is more. I believe the guys on HNIC last year were talking about estimates being between $69-72M.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Essentially they should have the 3rd center playing a simple game the way Jordan Staal did with the Pens behind Crosby and Malkin. I think they can and could play O'Reilly in the role. I don't see them playing Stastny in that role, they'll be looking for him to play a scoring role, and simply put he's not as good in this lesser two way role as O'Reilly is. This is where my idea that three offensive lines doesn't work out as well as hoped because of the linemate issue, the go to role for offensive players, and the other reasons I mentioned.

Out of all the centers only Duchene had what would be considered a good season, and they had trouble finding linemates for Stastny and O'Reilly. Now they're facing putting their 1st overall franchise center in that same position by adding him to the three offensive center approach.

Most importantly, they had another horrible season. This is not proof for why Stastny and the team did well with this three center approach. We can't use failed seasons as an example for what they should do moving forward.

In terms of loading up what we already have on the wing, it doesn't matter if MacKinnon has briefly played RW before, or Stastny might have played some LW in college 8 years ago, they shouldn't be messing around with this. Every player on the team likely has played some wing before at some point, and as we saw with Duchene, shifting these top end guys to the wing ins't always a great idea and is very risky in terms of how you're developing young players.

As for the price of Vanek vs a defenseman, that was my point. They likely will only have the space to bring in a couple good defenseman, and get a dynamic winger down the road OR fix the D and keep both Stastny and O'Reilly. This is because the price of paying Mac in a few years, fixing the D, and paying whoever the goalie is that is playing at the level needed, will likely match how much the cap is going up. If fixing the D is the constant in both scenarios, then Vanek or someone similar on wing makes way more sense than either of O'Reilly or Stastny, and O'Reilly makes more sense to me as the 3rd center than Stastny.

I don't think ROR is going to be ok with 3rd line minutes. I disagree with the bolded. It's not very risky and many teams have done it before. Sure Duchene didn't succeed in that role, so he moved back to C and last year was his best season. It didn't change his development at all, that third season was a bust for him for more than one reason. He played 16 minutes a game with a new lineup every night and was injured much of the time.

Hypothetically, moving Mack to wing or Stastny to wing really isn't risky at all...the same for ROR. If it doesn't work, move em back but if it does work, you've just solved two problems: too many highly talented centers and lack of depth on the wings. I just don't see why Stas or ROR would sign a new deal knowing that they were going to be third liners playing a defense first role.

I think Vanek would be incredible to have but...at his price and more importantly, the term I'd expect him to get of 7-8 years, he'll turn into a burden of a contract in a few years when his play declines. Now if Kessel somehow hit the market, I'd throw a lot his way to get him here...but only if the cap bumps up to 70 like you said

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think ROR is going to be ok with 3rd line minutes. I disagree with the bolded. It's not very risky and many teams have done it before. Sure Duchene didn't succeed in that role, so he moved back to C and last year was his best season. It didn't change his development at all, that third season was a bust for him for more than one reason. He played 16 minutes a game with a new lineup every night and was injured much of the time.

Hypothetically, moving Mack to wing or Stastny to wing really isn't risky at all...the same for ROR. If it doesn't work, move em back but if it does work, you've just solved two problems: too many highly talented centers and lack of depth on the wings. I just don't see why Stas or ROR would sign a new deal knowing that they were going to be third liners playing a defense first role.

I think Vanek would be incredible to have but...at his price and more importantly, the term I'd expect him to get of 7-8 years, he'll turn into a burden of a contract in a few years when his play declines. Now if Kessel somehow hit the market, I'd throw a lot his way to get him here...but only if the cap bumps up to 70 like you said

Second your thoughts on moving guys around. In fact, having MacKinnon get some time learning the game as a winger as well as a center, may actually help him as an overall player.

Matt Read may be a RW who the Avs could target without the cost of a Vanek or Kessel. Not as dynamic of a player for sure, but pretty consistent scorer in college and his 2 years with the Flyers. Can play PK as well.

A Mez+Read trade before camp would not hurt my feelings at all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

So you're saying Duchene plays his best at center, playing big minutes, with legit skill wingers, in the go to role he did last season? Because that's basically what I'm saying. If you guarantee these things for him, you're not going to be able to give them to at least one of MacKinnon or Stastny, and that's the problem. O'Reilly can deal without these things and help the team a lot. Stastny can not IMO.

As for moving MacKinnon back and forth between wing and center, I don't see how that helps his overall game at all. They're two very different positions. All it will lead to is instability the same way it was hurt Duchene's and Seguin's game.

I don't see the point in drafting MacKinnon 1st overall instead of Seth Jones who would have helped their D problem, and then playing Mack in a 3rd line role or moving him to wing. That makes absolutely no sense. They need to put him in the best position to succeed and be the best he can or it's a waste of a 1st overall pick. You could have found a player to play that role elsewhere, and used your 1st overall pick on something else.

They picked MacKinnon because they expect him to be a franchise game breaking center, not a winger. That's what they need to develop him into.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
All it will lead to is instability the same way it was hurt Duchene's and Seguin's game.

I don't think it hurt Duchene's game at all. He seemed quite recovered last year if it did. Seguin is TBD since we've yet to see what he'll do in a top center role.

As for helping him, I just meant in the sense of giving him experience seeing the ice from another view and incorporating that into his game. I still think he'll be developed as a Center, but occasionally getting some top 6 situations this year and maybe next at RW won't destroy him.

Carter, Sharp, Drury, and Forsberg (even if just when double shifting with Sakic) all made it through just fine playing both Wing as well as Center during their careers.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They picked MacKinnon because they expect him to be a franchise game breaking center, not a winger. That's what they need to develop him into.

I agree with this. The franchise's stars need to become stars and given the opportunity and role to do so.

Maybe that's the crossroads this team is at. They need to clearly identify the stars and role players going forward. An argument can be made that ROR and Stastny belong in the star tier but we need to see that executed on the ice and in their contracts. Until then it's all speculation and opinion. Also, from a branding/marketing standpoint the franchise really needs to push hard on those identified stars. One would think that it's obvious who the stars are but out in public it really isn't. I was just in a store where the only player branded Avs merchandise was Stastny. Nothing wrong with selling Stastny gear but it's pretty sad that public perception is 3 stars behind.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
. One would think that it's obvious who the stars are but out in public it really isn't. I was just in a store where the only player branded Avs merchandise was Stastny. Nothing wrong with selling Stastny gear but it's pretty sad that public perception is 3 stars behind.

Waiting on Hunwick leaving to put out the MacK 22 jerseys ;)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think ROR is going to be ok with 3rd line minutes.

This is probably the biggest point out of all of this. There is NO evidence that says ROR is willing to accept a lesser role. In fact their is evidence that he is not willing to accept a lower role with his contract demands. Stastny has accepted a lower role on the team a couple of times without saying a peep about it. Now will he lower his contract demands? Nobody except management, Stastny, and his agent probably know that.

If the Avs move forward with the 3 scoring line setup, I think there is a chance that there is enough ice time to keep both of them happy. Then it is more about cap restrictions and building a better all around team. Which is more of the question... is it better to use the money on Stastny and the assets from a ROR trade to build a team, or is it better to use the money on ROR and the assets from a Stastny trade to build a team?

Another way of looking at that a slightly better offensively, but worse defensively #2C with a top flight young asset that is NHL ready or close to it... or a better defensively, slightly worse offensively #2C with young assets 2-3 years away from contributing?

In either case, I don't expect ROR or Stastny to be around after their next contract.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think it hurt Duchene's game at all. He seemed quite recovered last year if it did. Seguin is TBD since we've yet to see what he'll do in a top center role.

As for helping him, I just meant in the sense of giving him experience seeing the ice from another view and incorporating that into his game. I still think he'll be developed as a Center, but occasionally getting some top 6 situations this year and maybe next at RW won't destroy him.

Carter, Sharp, Drury, and Forsberg (even if just when double shifting with Sakic) all made it through just fine playing both Wing as well as Center during their careers.

I'm not saying it will ruin MacKinnon's chance at being a great center, I'm saying shuffling him back and forth to and from wing will hurt him during that time they're doing it. Duchene was not that good on the wing, and he did well last year because he started at center, played a big go to role, and had the right top linemates. This is the situation they need to put MacKinnon in, not move him around to wing, and in other roles like they made the mistake of doing with Duchene.

Forsberg was a whole other breed of player. I don't think he's a comparable for any player not matter what the topic is. Drury approached the game like O'Reilly and to an extent like Stastny, not the way MacKinnon and Duchene do so that's not a good comparable either. Sharp is lesser type of player than a franchise center so they could afford to move him to wing the way it made sense to try Tanguay, Hejduk, and Wolski on the wing instead of center.

MacKinnon is closer to Duchene in terms of being an all around skill player. Out of all your examples Carter is close, but he's a very one dimensional, fairly soft, sniper that puts up very few assists. He's makes much more sense on the wing.

This isn't to say MacKinnon or a few other similar players in history haven't moved successfully to the wing, I'm saying it doesn't make sense to do that to him as a 1st overall pick. They shouldn't, and I'm assuming didn't draft him 1st overall with the idea of just finding somewhere in the lineup for him. They drafted him with the idea of him being their franchise go to center. Playing him in any other role is just an inconsistent plan, and a waste of an extremely rare 1st overall pick.

You're putting him in a lesser role on the wing and hoping he will work out because you want to give ice time to Paul Stastny or Ryan O'Reilly. I'm talking this year and beyond, and that's the dilemma they'll be in if they keep O'Reilly and Stastny.

This is probably the biggest point out of all of this. There is NO evidence that says ROR is willing to accept a lesser role. In fact their is evidence that he is not willing to accept a lower role with his contract demands. Stastny has accepted a lower role on the team a couple of times without saying a peep about it. Now will he lower his contract demands? Nobody except management, Stastny, and his agent probably know that.

If the Avs move forward with the 3 scoring line setup, I think there is a chance that there is enough ice time to keep both of them happy. Then it is more about cap restrictions and building a better all around team. Which is more of the question... is it better to use the money on Stastny and the assets from a ROR trade to build a team, or is it better to use the money on ROR and the assets from a Stastny trade to build a team?

Another way of looking at that a slightly better offensively, but worse defensively #2C with a top flight young asset that is NHL ready or close to it... or a better defensively, slightly worse offensively #2C with young assets 2-3 years away from contributing?

In either case, I don't expect ROR or Stastny to be around after their next contract.

How exactly do you expect O'Reilly to react? It's not exactly like Roy will be telling him we don't view you as highly as these other guys. He'll get the money he's asking for, and will probably react the same way he did being asked to move to wing. He'll be told which linemates he's playing with, who are still good players, and told which players he's matched up against. If they're winning hockey games for a change, I don't see him being at all upset.

O'Reilly won't be played like a purely defensive center like Yelle or McClement, or even the way they did his first couple years. He just won't be played in the go to role he did his 3rd year. There's a sweet spot in between, and it involves playing him a little less minutes than his 3rd year, and still letting him provide offense. His offensive confidence from his 3rd year performance, and Roy's motivation will keep him in the offensive fold, he'll just be in a role that doesn't take away from Duchene and MacKinnon's offensive roles.

Also, I still don't see the evidence that this three offensive line approach will work, I don't get why everyone seems so confident? It hasn't worked on the Avs for the past four years, and the only example I've seen mentioned of it working on other teams was Pittsburgh and that's because Staal played a role like I'm suggesting O'Reilly should. The only other accurate example was SJ and they've been a huge underperformer for a decade. You can't blame it on limited cap space because the cap is a relatively new thing.

The ice time for all three lines isn't an issue of keeping them happy, it's them performing as they're capable of with watered down linemates, and without being looked to as the go to players they want to be.

If O'Reily struggled his first two years, Stastny who was a consistent PPG player had a big drop off the last three, and Duchene (who had a great first year) struggled the last couple years, does that not tell you something? O'Reilly conversely had a big year his third when he was given a much bigger role, not coincidentally when Duchene struggled and played a lesser role.

I simply see no reason to be comfortable that all three will be playing at the level hoped for. Why would that be a good thing to continue doing to Duchene and your new 1st overall franchise player?

Re-signing Stastny is not a short term decision. Whatever they decide to do will affect Duchene and MacKinnon for 3+ years, and they shouldn't be screwing around throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what happens, they need to be taking the next step ASAP.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I agree that the 3 offensive line approach will not work. It's not a long term solution and if anything, it's not at all financially sustainable. I also agree that Mack needs consistency, but this whole idea that it will ruin his development is bogus to me. He's playing center this year, the year after he could switch to wing and if it doesn't work, you go from there. It didn't hurt Duchene's development whatsoever, he just didn't play well there. But he played at C for most of that year and stunk it up too so it's not like that's why he had a bad season. There is no evidence that Mack can't play wing though so in the future, it may be opportune to move him there to test it out. Taylor Hall, although naturally a winger, is a franchise go-to kind of guy not playing C. I would prefer Mack at center too, but with our center depth, someone has to move to wing and someone has to be traded realistically. Trade Stastny and move Mack to wing.

Personally, I think ROR will be elite as a C in defense and more than good enough for 2nd line C. I think 3rd line C for him is limiting and doesn't play enough to his strengths. To put him there would be wasting him, plain and simple. On top of that, I think he plays better the more time he gets. My ideal would be for him to center Mack and Landy. Mack would never be 3rd line in the future. Mack would still have franchise quality talent around him.

In the end, you just don't play someone as talented as ROR or Mack (past this/next year) on the third line. Someone's gotta go in that top 6 for the future, and I think it's Staz.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well I think MacK looks like he'll develop into the kind of player who's better having a skilled playmaker to set him up on one side, and a guy like Downie to make space and help antagonize the opposition on the other. This kid's really chippy for a #1 pick with his speed and skill, which is why I get where the Roenick comparisons come from, and I want him having a fellow physical antagonizer by his side, at least through his early years, especially since we've got one as skilled as Downie already on the team.

That's why I don't think it's really holding the kid back to play him with Downie and Tanguay until one of Sgarbossa or Hishon surpass Tangs, or Staz if we have to move Ryan back to center and try Staz on the wing.

That leaves at least Parenteau and Landeskog for Duchene and the other center and maybe the 4th center as well. That's 3 really good top 6 wingers with a guy like McGinn also around.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A really great third line that gets a lot of minutes can still produce, see the LO'RD line which was used like a high minute third line, and we happen to have the depth up front to ensure a really strong third line without holding back our top 6.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well I think MacK looks like he'll develop into the kind of player who's better having a skilled playmaker to set him up on one side, and a guy like Downie to make space and help antagonize the opposition on the other. This kid's really chippy for a #1 pick with his speed and skill, which is why I get where the Roenick comparisons come from, and I want him having a fellow physical antagonizer by his side, at least through his early years, especially since we've got one as skilled as Downie already on the team.

We should put Tanguay with MacK.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
A really great third line that gets a lot of minutes can still produce, see the LO'RD line which was used like a high minute third line, and we happen to have the depth up front to ensure a really strong third line without holding back our top 6.

That line was really used like a 1st/2nd line. When they were together, Duchene was playing random minutes throughout the bottom of the lineup (only averaged 16 minutes that year) and McGinn-Stastny-Jones were playing the other top line minutes. This year is our first true test of running three lines deep.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree that the 3 offensive line approach will not work. It's not a long term solution and if anything, it's not at all financially sustainable. I also agree that Mack needs consistency, but this whole idea that it will ruin his development is bogus to me. He's playing center this year, the year after he could switch to wing and if it doesn't work, you go from there. It didn't hurt Duchene's development whatsoever, he just didn't play well there. But he played at C for most of that year and stunk it up too so it's not like that's why he had a bad season. There is no evidence that Mack can't play wing though so in the future, it may be opportune to move him there to test it out. Taylor Hall, although naturally a winger, is a franchise go-to kind of guy not playing C. I would prefer Mack at center too, but with our center depth, someone has to move to wing and someone has to be traded realistically. Trade Stastny and move Mack to wing.

Personally, I think ROR will be elite as a C in defense and more than good enough for 2nd line C. I think 3rd line C for him is limiting and doesn't play enough to his strengths. To put him there would be wasting him, plain and simple. On top of that, I think he plays better the more time he gets. My ideal would be for him to center Mack and Landy. Mack would never be 3rd line in the future. Mack would still have franchise quality talent around him.

In the end, you just don't play someone as talented as ROR or Mack (past this/next year) on the third line. Someone's gotta go in that top 6 for the future, and I think it's Staz.

As I said above, I didn't mean to imply it will ruin his development. It will hurt him while you're shuffling him around, not necessarily for his whole career.

The problem is that the idea to "try" MacKinnon on the wing in order to be more top heavy is a false reality if you resign Stastny. Re-signing Stastny is a long term plan. You'll either be keeping MacKinnon on the wing long term, shuffling him around long term, or keeping in in a three offensive center approach long term. None of which are a good idea IMO.

As for O'Reilly being limited as a 3rd center in the role I suggest, it does limit his offensive abilities. It's not wasting his offensive abilities though the same way it would be wasting a 1st overall talent like MacKinnon's offensive abilities. With Duchene and MacKinnon up the middle, they need his defensive abilities more than his scoring, and he'll still be able to contribute more than most teams 3rd line center.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We should put Tanguay with MacK.

I like starting him with McG and Downie to protect him, but once he settles in I hope the swap McG and Tanguay, as I think that would make both the MacK and the Staz lines more effective.

Really excited to see Sgar and MacK together someday as Sgar is just insanely chippy for someone with his skill and smoothness. A Sgar-Mack-Downie line could be the league's best troll line while also being a massive scoring threat.

That line was really used like a 1st/2nd line. When they were together, Duchene was playing random minutes throughout the bottom of the lineup (only averaged 16 minutes that year) and McGinn-Stastny-Jones were playing the other top line minutes. This year is our first true test of running three lines deep.

That line still faced the toughest match ups and most defensive responsibilities, which are the negative aspects of being a third line that Foppa's talking about...I think, don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth...and those guys took those responsibilities and produced despite them with those high minutes. I don't see why a more developed Radar and Landy can't do the same down the road again. Especially if my dream scenario of a stacked "third" line that has both radar and Staz next to Landy ever comes to pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad