Starting A Franchise: Matthews+Marner VS McDavid

Who Would You Rather Start a Franchise With?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Of all 3 players in this poll? As in, including McDavid?
I don't think many believe that. It's not impossible though that he could be the 2nd best player from that draft class.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Marner may turn out to be the best of all 3. He is insanely good, ridiculous.

How can he become the best of all 3 when he isn't half the player Connor McDavid is, in any respect?

He'll have to settle for being better than Matthews because he has zero chance of becoming anywhere near as good as Connor.

Franchise C + Franchise W or 1 Franchise C. Hockey is a TEAM sport so I go with the Duo of Marner and Matthews. If it was an individual sport like tennis, then McDavid.

Generational C or Franchise C + a very good W. Fixed that for you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
McDavid. And when you project how much money it is going to take to sign both Matthews and Marner next year. Taking contracts into consideration. It will be even more in McDavid's favour.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Marner may turn out to be the best of all 3. He is insanely good, ridiculous.

As far as this poll goes:

Franchise C + Franchise W or 1 Franchise C. Hockey is a TEAM sport so I go with the Duo of Marner and Matthews. If it was an individual sport like tennis, then McDavid.

What sense is it to have 1 good player in McDavid when the team is garbage and going to miss the playoffs every year anyway. Hockey is a team sport...if you want to win a Championship you need depth, the full package.

Hahahaha yeah if he could magically double his point totals then sure half the league might turn out better than McDavid.

Btw you could have a garbage team with Matthews and Marner or you know, never make it out of the first round- I'd rather start with the strongest building block and that's McDavid by a huge margin.

Reactions: dukeofjive

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is one of the worst post I’ve ever seen and thats saying alot. Matthews type player comes every year? 40 year old goal scoring rookies come every year? Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess

Keep Mcdavid and have a mediocre team

I would wager the 1st overall is generally a franchise player, as Matthews. Few exceptions.

I don't think there is much wrong with his/her post.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I would wager the 1st overall is generally a franchise player, as Matthews. Few exceptions.

I don't think there is much wrong with his/her post.

His post is trash because says player like Marner and Matthews come along every year which is false. I agree that Mcdavid is a generational talent but a player of Matthew’s caliber doesnt come every other year. He’s a goal scoring machine at 5vs5 that we haven’t seen in the nhl for a while

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Hahahaha yeah if he could magically double his point totals then sure half the league might turn out better than McDavid.

Btw you could have a garbage team with Matthews and Marner or you know, never make it out of the first round- I'd rather start with the strongest building block and that's McDavid by a huge margin.

I would rather have two great players and make the playoffs every year then have a generational player and the rest of my team is complete garbage

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
His post is trash because says player like Marner and Matthews come along every year which is false. I agree that Mcdavid is a generational talent but a player of Matthew’s caliber doesnt come every other year. He’s a goal scoring machine at 5vs5 that we haven’t seen in the nhl for a while

Matthew's, perhaps.

Marner? You really think he is abnormally talented for a top 5/10 draft pick?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I would rather have two great players and make the playoffs every year then have a generational player and the rest of my team is complete garbage

And yet that garbage team has seen more playoff action in recent years than the team "that makes it every year with 2 great players."

It's McDavid easily.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Matthews (2016)
McDavid (2015) and arguably Eichel (2015)
MacKinnon, Barkov ((2013)
Tavares, Hedman 2009
Stamkos, Doughty(2008)
Kane (2007)
Toews (2006), though he wasn't a 1st overall so he shouldn't probably count
Crosby (2005)
Ovetshkin, Malkin (2004)

And probably
Dahlin (2017)
Hughes (2018)

Matthews could end up surpassing a lot of these players, but there indeed is a Matthews-caliber player available in lot of drafts - sometimes two of them.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
And yet that garbage team has seen more playoff action in recent years than the team "that makes it every year with 2 great players."

It's McDavid easily.

They made the playoffs last year? The Oilers first playoff run was great but alot of the players were playing over their heads like Cam Talbot. The Oilers of last year is closer to the real team with no talent on the wings and playing Mcdavid insane minutes

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
A player like Marner comes around at least once a year on average. Matthews is a different story. He's more of the once every 3-4 years while McDavid is the once in a decade+ type.

2010 - Hall, Seguin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov
2011 - Kucherov, Gaudreau
2012 - N/A
2013 - Mackinnon, Barkov

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They made the playoffs last year? The Oilers first playoff run was great but alot of the players were playing over their heads like Cam Talbot. The Oilers of last year is closer to the real team with no talent on the wings and playing Mcdavid insane minutes

They didn't have to make the playoffs last year to still have more wins that the leafs have had in the past 3.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A player like Marner comes around at least once a year on average. Matthews is a different story. He's more of the once every 3-4 years while McDavid is the once in a decade+ type.

2010 - Hall, Seguin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov
2011 - Kucherov, Gaudreau
2012 - N/A
2013 - Mackinnon, Barkov

huh? Forsberg 2012 who has been consistently producing 30 goals, 60 points right where Marner is?

or is that list for Matthews because that's far more often than once every 3-4.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol so Leafs fans have to add another star to Matthews now in an attempt to finally have Mathews win a poll against McDavid? So sad.

Mar 26, 2010
How can he become the best of all 3 when he isn't half the player Connor McDavid is, in any respect?

He'll have to settle for being better than Matthews because he has zero chance of becoming anywhere near as good as Connor.

Generational C or Franchise C + a very good W. Fixed that for you.
Very good W? :popcorn:

Marner is 10 times better than any W on your team and not even remotely close.

Also, Matthews is closer to McD than Toronto haters like to admit.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
huh? Forsberg 2012 who has been consistently producing 30 goals, 60 points right where Marner is?

or is that list for Matthews because that's far more often than once every 3-4.
2012 draft was so bad I didn't even bother to take a look at it, Forsberg is a comparable for sure but I wanted to only list guys that were actually better than Marner to prove a point.

I stand by the Matthews comment. 2-3 of those type of players enter the league every decade, easy.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Matthew's, perhaps.

Marner? You really think he is abnormally talented for a top 5/10 draft pick?

Tell which of the the following players are better or project better of a player than Marner is tracking towards? These are forwards picked in top 10 from 2010 - 2016 NHL Entry Drafts:

Taylor Hall (1st overall), Tyler Seguin (2nd overall), Ryan Johansen, Nino Niederreiter , Brett Connolly, Jeff Skinner, Alexander Burmistrov, Mikael Granlund

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (1st overall), Gabriel Landeskog (2nd overall), Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Strome, Mika Zibanejad, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier

Nail Yakupov (1st overall), Alex Galchenyuk

Nathan MacKinnon (1st overall), Aleksander Barkov (2nd overall), Jonathan Drouin, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Bo Horvat, Valeri Nichushkin

Sam Reinhart (2nd overall), Leon Draisaitl, Sam Bennett, Michael Dal Colle, Jake Virtanen, William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Nick Ritchihe

Connor McDavid (1st overall), Jack Eichel (2nd overall), Dylan Strome, Pavel Zacha, Timo Meier, Mikko Rantanen

Auston Matthews (1st overall), Patrik Laine (2nd overall), Pierre-Luc Dubois, Jesse Puljujarvi, Matthew Tkachuk, Clayton Keller, Alexander Nylander, Tyson Jost

There are 46 players listed above, how many players would you take over Marner? Now, how many of these are 1st overall picks?

Only non top 2 picks I would take over Marner currently are: Schiefele and Draisaitl.....I think he will close the cap fast on both of these players however they will always have the increased value of playing C.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Very good W? :popcorn:

Marner is 10 times better than any W on your team and not even remotely close.

Also, Matthews is closer to McD than Toronto haters like to admit.
Marner is a scoring winger, has played two full seasons consecutively, and hasn't hit 70 points.

The comparison between McD and Marner is funny because McD is between as good, to better, to much better in every single aspect of hockey. It's different than Matthews vs McDavid where their strengths are so different... McDavid is just flat out better than Marner in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad