Starting a franchise from scratch: Elias Pettersson or Seth Jones

Choose one to start a franchise with

• Total voters

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. With the exception of the past two games, where Pettersson has been absolutely flying out there, he hasn't looked quite himself in 2020. I certainly wouldn't put it on par with the back half of the 2018-2019 season, but it has been noticeably. Then again, apart from Hughes, Miller, and Markstrom, our entire roster has been MIA since New Years.
He may not be as flashy as the Pettersson we are used to in 2020, but he has been very effective overall. Making many smart plays whether it positionally, making smart plays, effectively using his stick to defend, etc. So I certainly wouldn't say he hasn't looked quite himself in 2020 since he may not be as flashy as he normally is but he is playing an effective two-way game.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Easily Jones for me. The list of players i choose over him is not a long one.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
He may not be as flashy as the Pettersson we are used to in 2020, but he has been very effective overall. Making many smart plays whether it positionally, making smart plays, effectively using his stick to defend, etc. So I certainly wouldn't say he hasn't looked quite himself in 2020 since he may not be as flashy as he normally is but he is playing an effective two-way game.

In the context of the last ~15 games, I vehemently disagree.

I am not going to make the argument Pettersson has looked bad because, quite frankly, Petterson at 70% is still a fantastic player. However, I will make the argument that he has been underperforming relative to early in the season. As of late, he has been uncharacteristically sloppy in his own end, specifically with respect to weak clearing attempts and chasing the puck. Pettersson has always been a player who uses excellent positioning to thrive in the defensive zone but as of late I've noticed he has had moments where he looks lost. That being said, it's entirely possible this may have something to do with swapping Virtanen, Boeser, and most recently Toffoli, whom he may not have good chemistry with defensively, yet.

On the opposite end of the ice, he has missed a plethora of open shots, many of which were excellent scoring opportunities and likely goals. Furthermore, he has made several passes, most of which are blind passes, that are not emblematic of his natural playmaking ability. Again, this could be a result of lack of chemistry with the newly formed line. Lastly, I've noticed that the powerplay has not been utilizing Pettersson's one timer nearly as much as of late. I'm not sure if this is a coaching decision or whether Pettersson has simply defaulted to a pass first player down the stretch.

I'll agree that Pettersson's stick work, both defensively and offensively, continues to be very impressive.

I'm obviously being very hard on the guy but he's the caliber of player you tend notice the small mistakes because is it so uncharacteristic given his talent and intelligence on the ice.

All that being said, I think he's looking fantastic these past two games and I hope he continues tonight because I love watching the Canucks vs. Avalanche matchup.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
In the context of the last ~15 games, I vehemently disagree.

I am not going to make the argument Pettersson has looked bad because, quite frankly, Petterson at 70% is still a fantastic player. However, I will make the argument that he has been underperforming relative to early in the season. As of late, he has been uncharacteristically sloppy in his own end, specifically with respect to weak clearing attempts and chasing the puck. Pettersson has always been a player who uses excellent positioning to thrive in the defensive zone but as of late I've noticed he has had moments where he looks lost. That being said, it's entirely possible this may have something to do with swapping Virtanen, Boeser, and most recently Toffoli, whom he may not have good chemistry with defensively, yet.

On the opposite end of the ice, he has missed a plethora of open shots, many of which were excellent scoring opportunities and likely goals. Furthermore, he has made several passes, most of which are blind passes, that are not emblematic of his natural playmaking ability. Again, this could be a result of lack of chemistry with the newly formed line. Lastly, I've noticed that the powerplay has not been utilizing Pettersson's one timer nearly as much as of late. I'm not sure if this is a coaching decision or whether Pettersson has simply defaulted to a pass first player down the stretch.

I'll agree that Pettersson's stick work, both defensively and offensively, continues to be very impressive.

I'm obviously being very hard on the guy but he's the caliber of player you tend notice the small mistakes because is it so uncharacteristic given his talent and intelligence on the ice.

All that being said, I think he's looking fantastic these past two games and I hope he continues tonight because I love watching the Canucks vs. Avalanche matchup.
I do think your criticism of Pettersson is true in a few games in 2020, but I genuinely think he has been playing fine for the majority of 2020. It would be nice to see Pettersson finishing more in 2020 though since he seems to be getting unlucky by fanning on shots as of lately. Overall, Pettersson's underlying numbers have been really strong, so I am pleased with his performance in 2020.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Having watched my team not have either #1 C or D I say you take the C every times. No team I am aware of ever won a Cup without a true #1 C but some have won with D by committee (yes Carolina and Pittsburgh, I mean you!).

Teams pretty much never make either available though it seemed like more C's came up when it was our issue. See Brad/Mike Richards, Carter and so on. All came with risks, cost a lot and faded fairly soon afterward. So that is another factor, D last longer at a higher level but take later to hit their prime.

I look back at all the major D and C moved over the years and you have a couple Seth Jones and Karlsson trades and several almost #1 C kinda trades/signings. Not a lot of either. In the end you usually draft your own or try to get lucky in FA like Boston did with Chara and we did with JT. Those situations are rare and cannot be relied on.

I'd rather watch a team that only had Eichel than a team that only had Dahlin because Eichel's team would probably be more fun to watch.

All that being said I'm not sure how much better the D has to be to become the choice but maybe not a lot. I'm not sure there is a right answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad