Post-Game Talk: Start the plane! Jets win 4-1

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Each of the 3 Jet goals in game 1 (aside from the empty netter) the Preds had more players in their end defending than the Jets had attacking. Nearly all of them are puck watching but not engaged with the play. The Preds are a mess in transition when they don't have the puck. Pretty good blueprint on how to create offense against Nashville with speed through the neutral zone and on zone entry from the Colorado series and game 1. Their D just keep giving ice until the puck is in a dangerous area. Once the Jets adjusted to this they had a bunch of scoring chances in the 2nd.

Reactions: surixon

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just re-watched the first period and Nashville's shot counters must be smoking the crystal because the are off on both teams.

Great minds think alike

Rewatching the first period and this is the most venue bias on the shot clock I can ever remember. There were clear Jets shots not recorded. Even on the goal Rinne makes a save on Little's backhand before Tanev score. Shots went from 3-4 only. They probably didn't even record a shot attempt there.

The real SOG in the 1st was more likely something like 18-8 instead of 20-4

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
The Jets need to improve on puck retrieval and exit passes in their zone. It seems that most of their offense was generated in the transition game and blue line entry. I think this adjustment would tilt the ice in our favor.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You guys that say they had no high quality chances are not being intellectually honest. They had a wide open net on the powerplay they rang off the post/crossbar. They had one on The Way in, that went off the thin shaft of Helle's stick near the knob. Those 2 jump to mind. I havent seen the stats yet, but will be surprised if they didnt have a dozen high quality scoring chances.
I saw people saying 5v5.

I'd mostly agree, I don't think the Preds generated much outside of perimeter shots when the teams were even.

No doubt, the Jets have to be better, but 5v5 the Jets were being more selective with their shots which I don't mind as long as they aren't passing up high quality chances.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
E2198A5B-9D67-49C8-AE47-DB0EAB151A78.jpeg
Loving the spunk of Tanev. The up yours gesture to the Nashville crowd from the opening goal was delicious.

Reactions: SUX2BU and nhlpro

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Great minds think alike

You saw that too!? Like how is this allowed? Same as hit tracking in the first round in Minny. It was completely off base. The NHL should really be looking into a company that does this for every game because we aren't getting an accurate portrayal of stats this way.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thoughts:

Thank god for Buff, Ehlers and Helle.
Stasny also good. I thought Scheifele was awful and excellent. He seems to do that from time to time. Came through in the clutch.
Preds got a way with a LOT
Rinne is human - Helle SHOULD win the Vezina but wont (Vasy gets it IMO)
Josi is the guy that scares me more than any other Pred. He is really a dominant offensive defenseman and gets a lot of uncontested opportunities. If he scores on that EN in the first this is an entirely different game. The Jets had better pay closer attention to him.

I was so surprised this game was pretty much a no hitter. Buff was our only guy who was going physically. Lowry was a disappointment. I want to see him punishing Subban.

The Jets will have to be a tonne better than they were last night if we are going to win this series (I think they will be).

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Two of the penalties the Jets got in game 1 were weak calls.

The goalie interference call on Wheeler and the play where Enstrom let go of his stick and the Nashville player stepped on his stick were bullshit calls in my opinion.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
Gonna rewatch the game this morning with the NBC feed. It's now part of my superstitious ritual. Looking forward to hearing Cuthbert.

I have been doing this every game thus far.. I enjoy the differing perspectives (and I can't stand galley)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We really need Armia or Perreault back. That hole destabilizes the entire bottom-6 considering Maurice's refusal to play Dano. Even if they are not ready Dano needs to slot in for Hendricks in the lineup next game so Copp can be reunited with Lowry and Tanev, and the Dano-Little-Roslovic line can be given sheltered minutes.
Haha people STILL pumping Dano's tires despite the fact he does NOTHING with his opportunities.

Keep Hendricks in, at least he plays every shift like it's his last - Dano is usually going for a Sunday skate. Too bad you can't teach intensity.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Two of the penalties the Jets got in game 1 were weak calls.

The goalie interference call on Wheeler and the play where Enstrom let go of his stick and the Nashville player stepped on his stick were bull**** calls in my opinion.

The Enstrom penalty? I would have been amazed if they didnt call that one. Couldnt be more obvious to me. The call on Wheeler were dubious at best, so I agree with you on that one

Reactions: kellhunter

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Nice to see Maurice call out Little for his contribution in the game and throughout the playoffs. Probably the most underappreciated Jet right now.

Little's assist on the first goal (Tanev) was a thing of beauty. He dodged, twirled, and pushed his way through like the entire Preds team to get off that sweet shot/pass to Tanev.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Thoughts:

Stasny also good. I thought Scheifele was awful and excellent. He seems to do that from time to time. Came through in the clutch.
Josi is the guy that scares me more than any other Pred. He is really a dominant offensive defenseman and gets a lot of uncontested opportunities. If he scores on that EN in the first this is an entirely different game. The Jets had better pay closer attention to him.

I was so surprised this game was pretty much a no hitter. Buff was our only guy who was going physically. Lowry was a disappointment. I want to see him punishing Subban.

The Jets will have to be a tonne better than they were last night if we are going to win this series (I think they will be).

Lowry seemed to be a step slower but I think it's just the team speed of Nashville making it look that way.

So glad to see Little step up and make a huge play I'd been cooling on him lately. Great great game by him maybe his best in 30 games.

When Armia is back in thats another guy the Preds offensive dmen will have to deal with in the cycle game

Reactions: Jet

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I've always thought Tanev is a great player. He has speed to burn and he never stops working. I'll take that over Dano any day.

Yeah, I'll take a guy with a bit less skill if his motor's running in the red all the time versus the slightly-more-skilled circle-skater.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Josi is a beast always hoped Trouba would become a Josi. He didn't have a break out season till he was 23 though

Reactions: Jet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thoughts:

Scheif tends to do that often, much like Laine. They can be invisible at times and then all the sudden they put the puck in the net and the opposition is in disbelief.
I too think the reffing was a bit one sided. There was a very obvious interference penalty on Subban that went uncalled in the 2nd.
I don't think Vasy will get close to the Vezina this year. He really faltered down the stretch and both Helle and Rinne were more consistent all season. On one of the broadcasts it was said that 3 GM's were surveyed by the panel and all 3 said they had Hellebuyck as #1 on their ballots. If we assume one of those GM's is Chevy then Helle has at least 3 first place votes, if we assume none of them were Chevy then Helle likely has 4 first place votes. I think Vasy will finish 3rd either way.
I think a big factor in the physicality level of this game is that Hartnell and Hartman were both healthy scratches. Both use physicality as a big part of their games so if they are in next game I expect it to be a more physical affair.

Reactions: kellhunter and Jet

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
For those stressing about the fashion we won this game in, we did tonight to the Preds what the Oilers use to do to us in playoffs back in the 1.0 era.

Grant Fur would stand on his head, buy them time, then Gretz and Kurri, or Mess and Anderson would pounce when they got the opportunity.

No one complained about the 5 cups that won them.

Solid road playoff win. We kept them relatively contained but Helly needed to be our best player tonight and he was.

Wow, we got game 1, this feels good!

This so ******* true! Great post!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You saw that too!? Like how is this allowed? Same as hit tracking in the first round in Minny. It was completely off base. The NHL should really be looking into a company that does this for every game because we aren't getting an accurate portrayal of stats this way.

I believe they are employed by the NHL or at least NHL teams. It’s why venue adjustments are applied to certain stats.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Rewatching the first period and this is the most venue bias on the shot clock I can ever remember. There were clear Jets shots not recorded. Even on the goal Rinne makes a save on Little's backhand before Tanev score. Shots went from 3-4 only. They probably didn't even record a shot attempt there.
At the time last night I thought this as well. Glad to hear I’m not crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad