Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Tyler Pitlick (3 Years, $1.000M AAV)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I liked Pitlick a lot while watching him on Oilers(They're among my most watched teams). In my opinion, he's going to end up being quite a steal.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Because if you hit on him you don't have to go back and re-sign him for a multi-year multi million dollar deal.

At worst he's in the AHL where there's plenty of room even if he's making more than he should. At best he's in the NHL making a 1/3 of what he should be paid.

We hit on Eaves and never went past 1 year. The sheer odds of him being worth a 3 year deal given his history are minuscule.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
He's in the same situation as Eaves. If he stays healthy he could make big impact. He won't score 30 goals, but he could hit 20 in a career year. Plus he can skate and he can flat out throw some big hits

IIRC he scored in both games the Oilers played us ( was hurt for the 3rd meeting )

No one was ever excited when we first signed Eaves, give Pitlick a chance and I'd be willing to bet he'll be a fan fav

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The Eaves and Pitlick comparison is pretty garbage. There's no need to compare the two. One was an injury prone 30 year old vet, the other is an injury prone 25 year old with barely any NHL experience.

We gave Pitlick a 3 yr deal when he has like 50 career NHL games. There's a lot more risk involved in it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You're being dramatic to call a 3 year, $1M AAV contract a risk. He's getting paid like a 4th liner, and 100% of his contract can be stashed in the AHL. Gaglardi may not get all the value he'd like out of the money ... that's about the only risk.

I agree it's not entirely like Eaves mainly because Eaves was Nill's guy .. someone he trusted and was familiar with. The only way you can reasonably characterize this transaction is no risk and high reward. Best case scenario, he's a Top 9 forward. Worst case scenario, he's in the AHL and counts zero against the cap. More than likely he'll spend time injured, but he'll probably get in some games.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Overall, we should be more worried that Radulov works out, not Pitlick.

Most years, there are tweener signings like this one, probably about 50-50 to work out, maybe less. One of he, Flynn, or who knows should work out to a 4th liner.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
The Eaves and Pitlick comparison is pretty garbage. There's no need to compare the two. One was an injury prone 30 year old vet, the other is an injury prone 25 year old with barely any NHL experience.

We gave Pitlick a 3 yr deal when he has like 50 career NHL games. There's a lot more risk involved in it.

Post some charts!!! :D

Not a risk at all. Pitlick will be a solid signing for us.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'll be cheering for the guy. Plays with intensity. But the Eaves comparison is a bit of a stretch unless we're ignoring his sudden breakout. He's a straight line player. Plays a physical game, but he's also made of glass. He's a very good fourth liner.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You're being dramatic to call a 3 year, $1M AAV contract a risk. He's getting paid like a 4th liner, and 100% of his contract can be stashed in the AHL. Gaglardi may not get all the value he'd like out of the money ... that's about the only risk.

I agree it's not entirely like Eaves mainly because Eaves was Nill's guy .. someone he trusted and was familiar with. The only way you can reasonably characterize this transaction is no risk and high reward. Best case scenario, he's a Top 9 forward. Worst case scenario, he's in the AHL and counts zero against the cap. More than likely he'll spend time injured, but he'll probably get in some games.

Am I?

Here's a list of guys being paid like 4th liners with much better track records than Tyler Pitlick:

Benoit Pouliot 1x1.15M
Ales Hemsky 1x1M
Patrick Sharp 1x1M
Scott Hartnell 1x1M
David Desharnais 1x1M
Mike Cammalleri 1x1M
Alex Burmistrov 1x900k
Nail Yakupov 1x875k
Beau Bennett 1x650k
Devante Smith-Pelley 1x650k
Jacob Josefson 1x700k

Then you have guys getting a little more...

Chris Kunitz 1x2M
Radim Vrbata 1x2.5M

So why did we commit three years to Tyler Pitlick? It's not the end of the world but it certainly is strange.

Post some charts!!! :D

Not a risk at all. Pitlick will be a solid signing for us.

pitlity91

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'll be cheering for the guy. Plays with intensity. But the Eaves comparison is a bit of a stretch unless we're ignoring his sudden breakout. He's a straight line player. Plays a physical game, but he's also made of glass. He's a very good fourth liner.

I still don't see where anyone compared him to Eaves

I'll I see is the signing is compared to when we signed Eaves ( besides the term )

Unless I'm blind

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Oiler fan here. Pitlick is a beast when he plays!! Too many injuries to really judge tho

But when healthy the guy is a ball of energy wrecking everything in sight and has some good finish

If??? he stays healthy, this signing should be a steal on any line he plays. Guy was popping up points from the 4th line.

He still needs to learn how to play top 6 with skill,can'y blame him for that, but bottom 6 he was winning plays by pure attrition.

Guarantee he will be a fan favorite if he stays healthy

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Satan;134424855[IMG said:
http://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocOffWo/1617/EDM/pitlity91[/IMG]

These charts are a very funny fan fad going right now. They are about as useless as anything the advanced stat world has dreamed up recently, but people love charts with pretty colors.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get how he got a three year deal, but when you really look at it the only real concern is that he is taking one of fifty spots.

If the guy is injured he's on the IR/LTIR. If it turns out the injuries have taken a toll on him and he isn't a NHL player in the next 3 years, then you send him to the AHL.

Heck of a player though to watch last year. Even if the goal scoring doesn't come back from last year, he's still a very viable 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad