GDT: Stars @ Sabres 7 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I dunno. I think that if we play the way we did every night......we'd win far more games than we'd lose. Yes, Dallas might have had better shot quality......but the possession and shot attempt numbers were ridiculously in our favor. Dallas blocked a ridiculous number of good chances (Lindell likely stopped a Dahlin goal with his knee/leg) and we flat-out missed the net (cough....TUCH....cough) on a number of shots.

Did we get to the net to get to rebounds/deflections? Not nearly enough.

So no, we didn't play a perfect game. Far from it. But we were the better team last night.
The easiest place on the ice to score from is 15ft> from the net. This is also the area of the ice where nearly all rebound goals occur from.

We generated 5 shots from that distance while giving up 14.

I think if we play like we did last night every night, getting outshot in the slot 14-5, we're going to lose far more games than we win.

1707353678051.png

Last edited:

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
The easiest place on the ice to score from is 15ft> from the net. This is also the area of the ice where nearly all rebound goals occur from.

I think if play like we did last night every night, getting outshot in the slot 14-5, we're going to lose far more games than we win.

View attachment 816132
Toronto isn't getting "goalied" right now. I swear that excuse is as common on these boards as "If we'd play in the first and second like we did in the third we'd have way more wins!"

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
That’s what the original post I replied to was about dude lmao. Guys who can’t be trusted so they don’t play. Are you good? Or just looking to pick a fight?
Your original post said the coach is making do with a "ton of broken pieces."

So a "ton of broken pieces" you're really just referring to 4 guys that barely even play?

By saying a ton of broken pieces it makes it seem like you're talking about majority of the roster. Sorry your original comment didn't make any sense.

Reactions: HOOats

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Your original post said the coach is making do with a "ton of broken pieces."

So a "ton of broken pieces" you're really just referring to 4 guys that barely even play?

By saying a ton of broken pieces it makes it seem like you're talking about majority of the roster. Sorry your original comment didn't make any sense.
I didn't understand that either. The "broken pieces" Granato is making do with are not 21, 71, 28, 6. The "broken pieces" are our key players, who are playing a level or two below their potential and are causing massive problems this season.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I watched the game. I think Dallas deserved to win.

Checking in with Dallas media, Dallas fans on their GDT (all 6 of them), the general consensus on twitter, and Sabres fans here, there's like 6 of you that share that opinion.

Pretty sure Mike Harrington is one of the 6, so you got that going for you...

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Checking in with Dallas media, Dallas fans on their GDT (all 6 of them), the general consensus on twitter, and Sabres fans here, there's like 6 of you that share that opinion.

Pretty sure Mike Harrington is one of the 6, so you got that going for you...
You think the team that got outshot 5-14 in the slot should have won?

Reactions: Ehran

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
You think the team that got outshot 5-14 in the slot should have won?

I think the team that got outskated, outchanced, and severly out-possessed deserved to lose, yes.

If you drill down you'd notice that Dallas got caved in for the majority of the game. The Hintz line and the Benn line were the only ones to have positive xGF differentials.

The majority of the Hintz line expected goals occurred over 3 shifts, with 0.463 of their xGF on a single shift in the 3rd period. The Benn line was terrific defensively all game, but the majority of their offensive chances occurred over 3 shifts.

Often times people here complain that that the Sabres don't play for a full 60 minutes, well the Stars played well for exactly a half dozen shifts and the shift charts back this up, they deserved to lose.

Reactions: Zman5778

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think the team that got outskated, outchanced, and severly out-possessed deserved to lose, yes.

If you drill down you'd notice that Dallas got caved in for the majority of the game. The Hintz line and the Benn line were the only ones to have positive xGF differentials.

The majority of the Hintz line expected goals occurred over 3 shifts, with 0.463 of their xGF on a single shift in the 3rd period. The Benn line was terrific defensively all game, but the majority of their offensive chances occurred over 3 shifts.

Often times people here complain that that the Sabres don't play for a full 60 minutes, well the Stars played well for exactly a half dozen shifts and the shift charts back this up, they deserved to lose.
When you know how to play the right way, you can win games against the Sabres by putting in effort for only a dozen shifts.

Dallas won that game because they know how to play winning hockey. Sabres played at 100% for 60 minutes and still couldn’t get barely a single high danger chance. Dallas put an effort for 12 shifts and got three times as much.

The Sabres don’t know how to play the game in a way that bring wins. Their high-effort, low-IQ plays may look good to some fans, but they don’t get you into the playoffs.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A big difference over how they beat the Stars last was they didn't get Oettinger moving. Thompson's goal was in part because of that but a lot of their looks were just straight on to a squared goalie. Their win against him in Dallas, there was a lot of getting him to move laterally and they couldn't do that the other night.

Reactions: Zman5778

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A big difference over how they beat the Stars last was they didn't get Oettinger moving. Thompson's goal was in part because of that but a lot of their looks were just straight on to a squared goalie. Their win against him in Dallas, there was a lot of getting him to move laterally and they couldn't do that the other night.
As a Red Bulls supporter the game reminded me of how we ALWAYS shit the bed in the MLS playoffs: We would have tons of possession but would be unable to do anything with it or get any good chances because the opponent had 11 men behind the ball. Then when they managed to get the ball we'd get hit on the counter with our pants down and end up down 1-0 and it was all over.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I thought there were quite a few cross ice passes, many with traffic in front. On the big chances by Mitts & Dahlin I think credit needs to go to Oettinger for being able to read the play and track those passes so effectively. Honestly, The NHL has had a sketchy past when it comes to the reliability of their data, and given the constant fluctuations of their shot counters last night I wouldn't be surprised if they were messed up again.

I went back through the highlights and I can't believe the HD chances and xGF values are what they are:

1707409734674.png

The Sabres got guys to the paint, there were no rebounds. Otter's rebound control was excellent.

1707409768266.png

1707409808918.png

On the last minute chance by Mitts (I don't have a clip of that one), Otter had to read the play and track the pass through traffic and he was still there before Mitts.

I just don't get the narrative that's popping up here about scoring and high danger chances. Sure, I want the Sabres to engage more, go to the tough areas, work harder along the walls, and score more greasy goals, I've said this time and again. But at the end of the day the team is also tied for 8th in the GF/60 at 5v5.

We haven't made goalies look like Hasek and 5v5 scoring has mostly been fine...

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo

I think if we play like we did last night every night, getting outshot in the slot 14-5, we're going to lose far more games than we win.

View attachment 816132
So, then it was UPL who kept the game close.

Reactions: BFLO

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Not all "slot chances" are created equally or equally dangerous.
True. But a slot fenwick by definition is more dangerous than a corsi or a regular shot, which you claim below to be why we outplayed the Stars.

I'm just asking for a little logical consistency.

Why does winning the Corsi and Shot share, while losing all of the high danger shares mean we were the better team if not all shot or shot attempts are created equal or are equally dangerous?

Corsi
83-60 58% to 42%
Only 14% of our 83 Corsi were high danger. 12 out of 83
Dallas with 28%. 17 out of 60
High danger corsi. 12-17 41% to 59%

Fenwick
59-47. 56% to 44%
High danger Fenwick
5-14. 26% to 74%

Only 5 of 59 FF were dangerous. That's 8%
Dallas with 14 of 47, 30%

Shots
48-30 62% to 38%
Only 5 out of 48 of our shots were high danger. 10.4%
Dallas with 8 out of 30. For 27%

High danger shots 5-8. 38% to 62%
I dunno. I think that if we play the way we did every night......we'd win far more games than we'd lose. Yes, Dallas might have had better shot quality......but the possession and shot attempt numbers were ridiculously in our favor. Dallas blocked a ridiculous number of good chances (Lindell likely stopped a Dahlin goal with his knee/leg) and we flat-out missed the net (cough....TUCH....cough) on a number of shots.

Did we get to the net to get to rebounds/deflections? Not nearly enough.

So no, we didn't play a perfect game. Far from it. But we were the better team last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad