GDT: Stars @ Sabres 7 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Seems pretty easy to figure out from last year's anomaly. Close your gaps on the Sabres. With nobody driving the net and average board play on a good night, there's not much opportunity to score even with speed. Hell, even when they get behind the defense, guys are mostly not finishing. Isn't this taught in midget

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Seems pretty easy to figure out from last year's anomaly. Close your gaps on the Sabres. With nobody driving the net and average board play on a good night, there's not much opportunity to score even with speed. Hell, even when they get behind the defense, guys are mostly not finishing. Isn't this taught in midget
Every coach knows, once the other teams start closing their gaps, there's not much you can do. /s

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Ress

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
View attachment 815861

There were a lot of passengers despite the shot count and turnovers.

Otter played great but getting in his face could have been the difference maker.
This is utter bullshit (no offence, Bobby).

If a graphic convinces you that you didn't see what you saw, then just stop watching the games and subscribe to a heat map service. Hands up everyone who watched the game from start to end who thinks the Stars deserved to win last night.

Oh, sorry, UPL stopped a breakaway. High danger chance. My bad. FFS.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto

If a graphic convinces you that you didn't see what you saw, then just stop watching the games and subscribe to a heat map service. Hands up everyone who watched the game from start to end who thinks the Stars deserved to win last night.

None taken.

My point was that outside of a handful of Sabres players, most of the team was doing diddly-squat. Dallas deserved to win based on their shot quality. If the Sabres had have followed up on their 48 shots with more pressure around the net, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

Dahlin, Cozens, JJ, Tuch and Thompson generated the vast majority of the opportunities. The rest of the team were mostly passengers.

UPL (and Otter) get full marks for their performances.

Reactions: sabremike and BFLO

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

I watched the game. I think Dallas deserved to win.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

☝️I tracked a different metric. I counted 8 passes to F1 that bounced off their stick. Another handful to the point that were rockets. The Stars were in the sweaters of the Sabres on every entry play and the NZ. They contested possession on every chance inside their dzone. The perimeter shots were also a result Stars pressuring the wall. At no time did I feel our rush chances were high percentage plays with the exception of Cozens sh breakaway. They were slow to move the puck into the corner or to drive it to the net. And Otter shut them down on the few other good chances they had. ( swallowing the carom before JJ could get a stick on it.). I never felt the pressure the Snres exerted worried the Stars in the least because they didn’t alter they way they played to address it.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
A reflection of your post quality. ;-)

TV was on. Brain was off I guess.

Guide me, bro.
Try something next game. Turn the sound off. Eliminate the background noise and just allow your eyes to observe. I do it all the time, usually with a guitar in hand. With no sound there is less of a visceral engagement. When I do this I see repetitions and patterns. Try it and see only what your eyes see. No other senses. I would be interested in what you observe.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I watched the game. I think Dallas deserved to win.
I dunno. I think that if we play the way we did every night......we'd win far more games than we'd lose. Yes, Dallas might have had better shot quality......but the possession and shot attempt numbers were ridiculously in our favor. Dallas blocked a ridiculous number of good chances (Lindell likely stopped a Dahlin goal with his knee/leg) and we flat-out missed the net (cough....TUCH....cough) on a number of shots.

Did we get to the net to get to rebounds/deflections? Not nearly enough.

So no, we didn't play a perfect game. Far from it. But we were the better team last night.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Try something next game. Turn the sound off. Eliminate the background noise and just allow your eyes to observe. I do it all the time, usually with a guitar in hand. With no sound there is less of a visceral engagement. When I do this I see repetitions and patterns. Try it and see only what your eyes see. No other senses. I would be interested in what you observe.
Serious answer: I might give that a shot.

Comedy Answer 1: Wife - "Wth are you doing?" Me - "Studying the game with a profound level of consciousness. Don't blame me. It's Tatanka's idea."

Comedy Answer 2: This is what happens when you've heard too much Rob Ray. It's the hockey equivalent of Ulysses listening to the Sirens. Drives one mad.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Serious answer: I might give that a shot.

Comedy Answer 1: Wife - "Wth are you doing?" Me - "Studying the game with a profound level of consciousness. Don't blame me. It's Tatanka's idea."

Comedy Answer 2: This is what happens when you've heard too much Rob Ray. It's the hockey equivalent of Ulysses listening to the Sirens. Drives one mad.
Or you could say it professional development. Active observation. Hell it could be a whole new line of work with podcasts and annual employee improvement seminars. But when I really want to get a gist of what is going on, just watch. Without the banter or more importantly the crowd reaction you get a really clear picture. But not worth it if the spouse wants to have you committed or worse.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I can confirm this is exactly what NFL scouts do when looking at film. There's no sound.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
"Have you seen any recent behavior that is unusual or troubling?"

"He watches the Sabres games with the sound off. Keeps mumbling 'damn Tanka' or something under his breath. Can't quite make it out."
“Oh that is troubling…Sabres games? He actually watches Sabres games? I am afraid the prognosis is not good.”

• Haha
Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad