GDT: Stars @ Sabres 7 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Found it - Dahlin got him, perhaps his shoulder with Marchment trying to catch up. Might be an elbow with the follow through. They didn't show any other angle.
Subtle cheap shot. I'm good with it.

Any Sabres fan who can't admit that Dahlin is sneaky, and sometimes blatantly, dirty, hasn't been paying attention. We need more of that.

You know what I'd love to see as this lost season winds down? A disappointing team starts to show some moxie, gets in goal-mouth scraps, battles for each other, and forges unity for next season.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'd be interested in the shot map on this one. Lots of shots, even quality by conventional standards, but when you face an above-average goalie, you need to go to the blue paint. Sabres either do not know how to do this, or don't have the personnel to do it.

Reactions: dortt

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Such a frustrating game, they deserved that win. This team needs a winger like Kreider who excels at working around the crease. Actually, they need Rhino back.

Reactions: oldgoalie

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'd be interested in the shot map on this one. Lots of shots, even quality by conventional standards, but when you face an above-average goalie, you need to go to the blue paint. Sabres either do not know how to do this, or don't have the personnel to do it.
At 5v5 and all strengths we dominated possession and the corsi/shot share, but we lost the high danger share and xGF.

This is not a winning formula.

This is a formula for padding the SV% of the opposing goalie with low probability perimeter shots.

Soft, perimeter teams do not deserve to win.

Heat maps tells the story.
5v5
1707310714015.png

1707310803238.png

All strengths
1707310737977.png

1707310820851.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Buffalo is a lot more spread out, Dallas is right around the net:

1707312429280.png

Edit - serves me right for not scrolling down to see if someone else had already posted about this. :biglaugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If I was at the post-game presser, this would be my question for Granato:

"The Sabres have been unable, or unwilling, to go to the front of the net. What coaching adjustments need to be made to address this?"

Then watch Baby Blue squirm.
It’s basically already been asked. He basically said it’s not really something that can be coached, that it’s a personnel issue. Some guys naturally have it in them, most guys don’t.

You need to have a GM that values that trait and we simply don’t.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
It’s basically already been asked. He basically said it’s not really something that can be coached, that it’s a personnel issue. Some guys naturally have it in them, most guys don’t.

If this is the case, where/how do we think Adams developed this philosophy that doesn't value interior/physical play? That's certainly not my recollection of his game or the teams he was on.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If this is the case, where/how do we think Adams developed this philosophy that doesn't value interior/physical play? That's certainly not my recollection of his game or the teams he was on.

I half wonder if he’s just waiting to see if RBA becomes available rather than do anything.

Finding a midline guy who can get inside and thrive would be a boon. And from what I have watched they only have a couple who do that and they are both small.

Reactions: sabremike

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Team is missing a few players on forward. Perimeter players are fine but every line is going to need a guy who gets dirty. This is not his philosophy, which is currently to draft and develop young players. KA will get a face full of analytics from his team about needing the interior play.

I heard of something called a deflection to score goals. Haven't seen it in a while.

I refuse to accept that KA intended to do so little this offseason. It was massive overpay for a FA who just wants money or settle on leftovers. Also anyone with even a 5 no trade list has Buffalo on it. No one wants to come here. Wonder what Samson will cost. We also really need a top line winger. Skinner Tuch Peterka Quinn all great 2/3 wingers, with the last 2 potentially capable of that role.

Reactions: oldgoalie

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
View attachment 815861

There were a lot of passengers despite the shot count and turnovers.

Otter played great but getting in his face could have been the difference maker.

so, we weren't as good as it seemed last night. Otter did not really steal the game

As I said last night, we need to go to the net. Something we refused to do last night all game. Dallas did, and screened UPL on one and got a gift on another

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto

Excuse me.. Don, follow up question...

Will the players who "have it" be rewarded with more ice-time? Have you spoken with GMKA about acquiring players that "have it"?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It seems to me like they feel they have a formula to find hidden value at the draft (and maybe they kind of do?), so they are banking on that giving them an advantage over other teams in the long run, and they only care about the long run.

They think these guys will learn it eventually, and that's all that matters. Like others have said, this was probably always another development years in Adams eyes, and same with next year.

Reactions: HOOats

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Gotta figure out how so many unbroken pieces got broken between April and October. That's not on Adams, beyond forcing Don's hand on assistants.

But I was told that teams don't even communicate with players or give homework on systems while they're at the lake all summer, so not sure that would have made a difference. Maybe installing some defense wouldn't have been such a shock when they arrived in September then.

Camp sucked, preseason sucked, but something deeper happened with a bunch of these guys.
Families and girlfriends

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
It seems to me like they feel they have a formula to find hidden value at the draft (and maybe they kind of do?), so they are banking on that giving them an advantage over other teams in the long run, and they only care about the long run.

They think these guys will learn it eventually, and that's all that matters. Like others have said, this was probably always another development years in Adams eyes, and same with next year.
Never have to make the playoffs if every year is a development year. ~ Kevyn Adams
1707326659682.png

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
At 5v5 and all strengths we dominated possession and the corsi/shot share, but we lost the high danger share and xGF.

This is not a winning formula.

This is a formula for padding the SV% of the opposing goalie with low probability perimeter shots.

Soft, perimeter teams do not deserve to win.

Heat maps tells the story.
5v5
View attachment 815855
View attachment 815857
All strengths
View attachment 815856
View attachment 815858
Perimeter shots are fine if there is traffic in front of the net. There isn’t traffic nearly often enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad