Post-Game Talk: Stars misalign in Ottawa - 4-2 Victory - Brass balls edition

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Judging by Twitter alone, it seems a large contingent of Hab fans are incensed over the attendance for some reason.

What a bunch of angry children. Those preseason losses really broke their minds.
Sens are playing phenomenal hockey but the attendance is glaring and hard not to talk about.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
favourite moment of the game, Captain Brady's goal. Its hilarious watching defenders try to knock the puck away from him or even get the inside position. I think Hedman and Josi might be the only defenders in the league that can handle Brady skating full speed with the puck. Makar might be able to stick check the puck away, but he'sg etting run over

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sens are playing phenomenal hockey but the attendance is glaring and hard not to talk about.

Are there not many teams suffering to some degree from the post covid world and/or inflation though?

I'll agree that 12k is a bummer. And I'm an outspoken critic of our fanbase for attendance at times...

But damn.. Monday night in the middle of a 5 game homestand. You need to be a diehard or an immediate vicinity kind of local to get out for this one.

As a regualr working man/slave, and a person who appreciates routine in his life - Monday night is not the night I want to do anything outside the house that requires much effort, if I can avoid it. Personally speaking...

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Also hard for other (idiot) fanbase to overlook when Twitter was filled with tweets bragging that we sold out the opener and stuff like ;

OtTaWa HaS No FaNs

12K again tonight is a bit disappointing

I muted so many Habs fans on Twitter tho, such a dumb fanbase, Id see random tweets from them on my feed that I am not interested in at all, they sound so salty

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Judging by Twitter alone, it seems a large contingent of Hab fans are incensed over the attendance for some reason.

What a bunch of angry children. Those preseason losses really broke their minds.
A lot of them live in a dump they insist is a world-class caliber city.

I'd be bitter too.

Reactions: Senscore

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Are there not many teams suffering to some degree from the post covid world and/or inflation though?

I'll agree that 12k is a bummer. And I'm an outspoken critic of our fanbase for attendance at times...

But damn.. Monday night in the middle of a 5 game homestand. You need to be a diehard or an immediate vicinity kind of local to get out for this one.

As a regualr working man/slave, and a person who appreciates routine in his life - Monday night is not the night I want to do anything outside the house if I can avoid it.
As people have mentioned it'll take time to win back some folks which I guess is understandable but I think with the demands from the fans over the years, everything from better music, entertainment in between periods and stoppages, better roster etc it is, as you mentioned a bummer to see low attendance.

I wasn't too critical of the attendance during the Covid years for obvious reasons and when Melnyk was pissing the franchise away but at this point the team is hella exciting and we brought in 2 big name stars to the roster and that's on top of the emerging stars we already have.

It feels like the Sens have to win every single game just to get people out to watch them these days.

Just don't want excuses from yesteryears to avalanche on top of new excuses this year when the team is playing relatively well and are icing an extremely entertaining brand of hockey.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Also hard for other (idiot) fanbase to overlook when Twitter was filled with tweets bragging that we sold out the opener and stuff like ;

OtTaWa HaS No FaNs

I muted so many Habs fans on Twitter tho, such a dumb fanbase, Id see random tweets from them on my feed that I am not interested in at all, they sound so salty
Usually the larger the fanbase the larger number of idiots you'll see but yes I agree the vast majority of them are morons

Reactions: Rodzilla

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm curious how much corporate interest has spiked since last year. Would be natural to assume that sort of support will be slower to return as opposed to the casual fan.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Great game. Awesome to see Hellberg get the win and playing "Raise a little hell" was a cool touch during his 3 star announcement. It might not end up here with Talbot looming but Hellberg might get more looks after this. Brassard looked good too which bodes well going forward as our 2C/3C this year.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm curious how much corporate interest has spiked since last year. Would be natural to assume that sort of support will be slower to return as opposed to the casual fan.
I recall Anthony Leblanc said and I'm paraphrasing here that he was in the process of speaking to a former large corporate supporter and that he was very excited to see where things were going.

Last edited:

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020

OtTaWa HaS No FaNs

Monday night game, not surprising.

I think a win for the team would be getting 16-18k for primetime games (weekends, rivalries etc.) As the more casual fans realize this team is a lot better than before, you'll see attendance start to get more consistent throughout the season. Until the downtown arena gets built, attendance is always going to be a bit of a battle. A lot easier for people to consider attending a Monday night games when the arena is close to work/home.

Just have to ignore the haters and keep enjoying the good hockey!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Part of me can't help but wonder if the shift in attitudes after Covid and the continued evolution of home entertainment has left us permanently hobbled attendance-wise.

Maybe more people are just choosing to stay home in general. I'm sure as hell not going out to eat nearly as often as I used to and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Part of me can't help but wonder if the shift in attitudes after Covid and the continued evolution of home entertainment has left us permanently hobbled attendance-wise.

Maybe more people are just choosing to stay home in general. I'm sure as hell not going out to eat nearly as often as I used to and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Yes, I think it's a bigger trend. Attendance is probably down across the board, not just in sports but in movie theatres as well. Teams in big markets like Toronto won't notice it much, but smaller cities will feel the pinch.

Reactions: Senscore and Yak

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
You don't just take a crappy partner if you were in a crappy relationship...it has not been even 10 games...lets wait a few more games to see if this keeps up before we start calling out the fan base that's been treated to near bottom finishes in the standings for some time now... a reconciliation is a strong possibility based on whats been presented tho ... in other words the fans will come back if the team keeps winning...I mean I see my self already being more interested in watching the games based on the results ...and btw my loyalty has always been to the Sens, my commitment the last little while can definitely be questioned

Not trying to hijack the thread or whatever but that type of attendance is what you get when you have an arena that far out from the city center and offer a below mediocre product...just not worth the hassle. Tons of people out there that would go to games just to waste time if the rink was downtown. I certainly would, I mean me and majority of my friends love going to the Red Black and I could care less about the CFL. If RB win cool, if not meh, but the stadium is not a hassle for me to get to even if there is traffic since within the city and just the whole vibe is more fun and easy going since you don't have to drive or bus back after.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I was at the game and the attendance didn't really bother me. It felt loud and full.

Remember this is not a problem that is going to be corrected over night. Sens need a few more summers and successful seasons to bump up that corporate season ticket base. Once the sens have 12K in season tickets walkin traffic and one time purchasers take care of the rest.

Enjoy the dub and don't worry about things you can't control like attendance.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I am not liking how they using the cat!

They are forcing guys to pass to him but they are not connecting proper, sloppy passes.

DJ needs to get on the ice and let everyone see where the cat's wheelhouse is. Is not even a guess , he likes it in same place as movies office on the left hand side.

Just cause you pass it their does not mean he will score, it needs to be a nice pass so he can one time it just like ovie.

Is so easy to see but they are not doing it right!

G needs to be set up on the right side of the net or near the right side faceoff dot for the seam pass to either man 8n front or left side Cat.

The offense on that 2nd line is going to blow up but they need to work on it. Just can't be feeding random passes, is waste of time.

Still think Timmy is best on that line but with Norris out we need keep him on line #1.

Pinto being a little beast these days, he is going to be PP2 all night long!

thank you!

been waiting this from a Sens fan.

Brinksy's usage is sub par atm, by your coaches and his linemates.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022

In theory yes but reality suggests otherwise...people aren't scared or unwilling to go to sporting events...I'll use the Redblacks as an example ...last year post covid attendance was around 13k a game...this year back up to about 20k a game...a nice home setup is always nice but it will never beat the real time experience but those aren't the reason behind the current attendance...the games are simply an inconvenience to go to for a lot of people given how far the rink is...again Red Blacks as an example...not exactly great last 3 or so years but people keep showing up... why? well for one you way more people can drink and let loose and have more fun since they don't need to worry about driving back into the city...this leads to an better overall vibe at the stadium...game is over ? you can keep the party going as plenty of bars/restaurants and such to do right there...its just a buzz kill having the rink where it is...even when the vibe was good during playoff runs it always came back into the city...

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I was at the game and the attendance didn't really bother me. It felt loud and full.

Remember this is not a problem that is going to be corrected over night. Sens need a few more summers and successful seasons to bump up that corporate season ticket base. Once the sens have 12K in season tickets walkin traffic and one time purchasers take care of the rest.

Enjoy the dub and don't worry about things you can't control like attendance.
This. People who thought that attendance was going to suddenly leap up to ~16000+ every home game were fooling themselves. It's a marathon - not a sprint. A year ago we'd be lucky to even hit that number, pandemic notwithstanding.

A Monday night game against Dallas - a that comes to town once a year and that we have absolutely no history with? It's not exactly a hot ticket for fans that are likely buying a handful across the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad