Confirmed with Link: Stars hire Jim Nill to 5 year contract as new General Manager

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
And then prices for centers go up because demand goes up because we know what the market will bear!

Awesome.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm not worried about that. Anyone who watched this team play knows those are obvious deficiencies. Him stating it won't change the market.

MetalGodAOD*

Too bad we missed out on Brassard. He's looking like a revelation right now with NY. Though I'm not sure if we had the piece Kekäläinen would have been looking for.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
About damn time. The Benn experiment lasted way too long and might have even hurt a bit of his development.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
I agree Troy, it is refreshing to hear a GM speaking specifically about what he wants to see change. It gives me confidence that he has a very clear vision as to what he wants this team's identity to be, and how to get there. From a fan's perspective this gives me a lot more hope for the future than ambiguous goals like "being hard to play against."

I'm also stoked to hear that Jamie will likely be moving back to wing where I think he'll have a better chance to become the superstar we all want him to be, as well as getting bigger on the back end (hopefully amongst the forward group as well) - I miss the days when Zubie was our "small" guy.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I miss the days when Zubie was our "small" guy.
And as a small guy, he was such a brilliant skater that he was able to keep himself in the right spot with relative ease. He was also able to clear the crease as effectively as a guy 40 pounds heavier thanks to his cigarette and vodka breath.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
When asked about Detroit and what made it work Jim said stability. He said it starts at the top and the Ilitch's are very good family people, business people, and great owners. He said then Jimmy Devellano has been there for 35 years.....Kenny Holland for 25 years....Jim for 22 (I believe) and the scouts have all been in place for at least 15 years. Jim said it is hard to build a great organization without stability and when you are changing direction too often. Jim said it carried over to the team where you had a great leader like Yzerman and beside his locker they put Lidstrom, and then later beside Nic's locker they out Zetterberg, and beside Henrik's locker they have now put Helm. He said you "never break the chain"

This is all great news, especially the bolded part. Nieuwendyk had about three different philosophies he chased during his time here.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
sorry, that was merely a pun in reference to the "jesus lessard" comments from a ways back. as in, chiasson is the stars' saviour.

a stretch, i know.

aloonda*

what are the chances we get abdelkader? I see him as another eakin. I wouldn't mind that truly.

MetalGodAOD*

what are the chances we get abdelkader? I see him as another eakin. I wouldn't mind that truly.

He's signed for 4 more years at 1.8 mil, playing on their top line. Why would they trade him?

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
This is all great news, especially the bolded part. Nieuwendyk had about three different philosophies he chased during his time here.

What? He clearly only had one philosophy. The drafting, signings, and trades all clearly painted one picture. Well except for maybe the trades at this years deadline.

He brings all of the hope of Lessard with one minor difference... Chiasson actually scores at the NHL level.

Lessard had a goal in each game he played in Dallas.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
What? He clearly only had one philosophy. The drafting, signings, and trades all clearly painted one picture. Well except for maybe the trades at this years deadline.

He first wanted a team that played up-tempo hockey with the admission that some defense would be sacrificed in order to score more goals. He then changed directions and said he wanted more two-way hockey players and a coach that would be employ a system that would be accountable defensively, which would lead to offense.

He clearly had more than one philosophy.

aloonda*

He first wanted a team that played up-tempo hockey with the admission that some defense would be sacrificed in order to score more goals. He then changed directions and said he wanted more two-way hockey players and a coach that would be employ a system that would be accountable defensively, which would lead to offense.

He clearly had more than one philosophy.

there is a difference between drafting players that fit your philosophy and tactically adjusting to the talent available

Brand New Stars

Was it adjusting? I don't recall any difference in results over the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad