Confirmed with Link: Stars hire Jim Nill to 5 year contract as new General Manager

bloggerfanthe*

Merry Christmas Stars fans. Wanted Nill to come to the Flames for the last 10 years. You got yourself a damn good GM.

bloggerfanthe*

Hope he axes the coach as well. Made no sense that Fraser who is right up there in goals in the AHL was a healthy scratch or played on the fourth line.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Hope he axes the coach as well. Made no sense that Fraser who is right up there in goals in the AHL was a healthy scratch or played on the fourth line.

^ There's really no question that Gulutzan is gone. The only drama was whether Nieuwendyk would survive. Apparently we have our answer.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
If the Stars do fire Nieuwendyk, whoever takes over - whether its Nill or someone else - is going to benefit from the rebuilding work that GM Joe has done under the toughest circumstances possible the last 4 seasons.

I just hope this doesn't mean they abandon the plan they were progressing on lately. They have the right idea, they need to stay the course.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Wow, I can't believe it. You guys are getting one of the best in the business, congrats! Hope this doesn't make things awkward in the Wings front office tonight:sarcasm:.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I have to be honest ... I was still scared in the back of my mind that Brian Burke was coming here.

Such a weight off my chest ...

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Look on the even brighter side, we can still be GM'd by GMJN

Haha this is awesome.

Also, I have to say I like this move. Nieuwendyk is a decent GM when it comes to drafting/development, but his NHL player evaluations/trades have been very hit or miss. Nill on the other hand has been a huge part of Detroit's success the past 20 years.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Need some info on Nill, anyone know some good articles or whatnot?

I believe he's been the guy running Detroit's drafts for quite some time now, as well as overseeing player development in the minors and in Europe.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I wish Joe the best and I feel sorry that it didn't work out for him here. It would've been very cool to have a great GM who was part of the team that won the Cup. But things rarely work out that neatly.

For all of his shortcomings he'll be remembered as a GM who finally put the appropriate amount of organizational emphasis on the draft and stopped the practice of squandering away our picks. I honestly believe that the Stars have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL and that will bear fruit for many years to come.

That said, he struggled mightily when it came to evaluation at the NHL level. The overall strategic vision for the makeup of the team was never clear and seemed to vacillate from season to season. That Ryder for Cole swap will go down as the moment when I knew he didn't have what it took.

Here's to learning more about Jim Nill. I really had no clue about him until that article from earlier today. He sounds like one of the best kept secrets in the league. He's neither a retread nor an inexperienced hire which is a very rare and exciting combination.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's some more info from one of my favorite draft guys:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 20m

For Dallas fans, Jim Nill's been the guy responsible for overseeing the DET drafts. He also has a killer stache.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 16m

Number of bad drafts, but last 4-5 sesons they've built an elite system. RT @67sound: do you like DET's drafting record post-Dats/Zetts?

Plus ... I love to hear things like this. We're getting a true talent evaluator:

Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 11m

@TSNBobMcKenzie @darrendreger Just met Jim for the first time in Sochi. Seemed like a really classy good guy to me. Happy for him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If he is that highly regarded, he probably could have had his choice of a few jobs this summer. That he chose Dallas so quick may show a little bit about the kind of pull Gaglardi has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad