Confirmed with Link: Stars hire Jim Nill to 5 year contract as new General Manager

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
How come there are so many non-Texas resident Stars fans here? How do you come about liking the Stars of all teams?
I was born & raised in Corpus Christi. Fell in love with the game while watching the Stars on their 2000 non-cup run. I was hooked because of game 5 of the NJ series. 0-0 into double or triple OT, and Modano tipped a long wrist shot from Niewy (or Hull?) between Brodeur's legs. Hockey has been my #1 sport to watch, follow and play since then.

About 2 years ago, we uprooted from the barren wasteland armpit of the earth that is South Texas and moved up to the Twin Cities. We love the seasons and cooler weather up here, and now with the realignment I get to see the Stars live next season more than I did when I lived in TX.

MetalGodAOD*

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
In Gaglardi's recent one-on-one he mentions how happy he is to have both Jim Nill and Les Jackson at the draft table this season, and how excited they both are to work with each other. Pretty much no way Les goes anywhere.

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=244646&cmpid=embed-share-video

That's two days in a row you're sharing links that make me happy. You're my new favorite mod. These others have nothing on you. Les and Nill together forever!

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I don't know that there would be any benefit to changing his job title or responsibilities. Is negotiating contracts something he even wants to do? I'd keep him focused on what he's doing now on the development/scouting side.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Les is already an assistant GM. Or at least he already has the title.

"Assistant General Manager, Scouting and Development Les Jackson"

That's on the website.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jim Nill was interviewed this morning 8:45 CST on the NHL Network on XM radio. I was driving so take this for what it is worth ;).

They set up the interview by saying Jim was probably the most coveted GM or a name that always came up so how did he decide to "walk the plank" and take a shot with Dallas Stars. Jim said it started with a phone call from Jim Lites And Nill mentioned he and JL go away back and they know each other well. Jim Nill said this was followed up meetings with Tom Gaglardi over a two day period and when it was done Jim was sold on the direction ownership and Managment wanted to go in Dallas.

Jim is really excited about the young talent on the team and in the system (he mentioned quite a few names like Dillion etc) and he is also excited about the amount of picks in the upcoming draft. Jim said the team does need to get better down the middle and "heavier" on D. He said its great Benn filled in at centre but Jim feels he is suited to the Wing. He said with the cap etc that free agency isn't like it use to be and there are not 8 or 10 names out there to chase.

When asked about Detroit and what made it work Jim said stability. He said it starts at the top and the Ilitch's are very good family people, business people, and great owners. He said then Jimmy Devellano has been there for 35 years.....Kenny Holland for 25 years....Jim for 22 (I believe) and the scouts have all been in place for at least 15 years. Jim said it is hard to build a great organization without stability and when you are changing direction too often. Jim said it carried over to the team where you had a great leader like Yzerman and beside his locker they put Lidstrom, and then later beside Nic's locker they out Zetterberg, and beside Henrik's locker they have now put Helm. He said you "never break the chain"

On how to build a team Jim was specific when he said look at most great teams that win and they tend to build a team over About three drafts and have a core of 10 or 11 players that form the nucleus of the team and grow together. he sees that happening in Dallas right now.

On Gully Jim said he had success at the AHL level and is a good coach and will have a long career in the NHL (sounded genuine on this) but said he didn't think Gully was the right coach timing wise for the current situtuation.

very good interview and it says allot that your Managment and ownership sold him on making the move after 22 years in Detroit.

Hope I didn't butcher that too badley :laugh:

Last edited:

MetalGodAOD*

Jim said the team does need to get better down the middle and "heavier" on D

Bye to one of Robidas/Larsen/Daley/Goose. Please oh please be Robidas.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Bye to one of Robidas/Larsen/Daley/Goose. Please oh please be Robidas.
For good reason. One guy being small on D isn't a problem, but when the majority of your d-men are undersized, it's a huge problem. Really, two or three of those guys should be replaced in the next season or two for this unit to improve.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I will say that Nill is starting off being far more open and honest about changes he wants to make than most new GMs you see. I'm used to a GM who comes in and talks generally about things they want to improve but not in a way that gets down to touching guys on the roster.

It's wonderful to hear that he wants to get bigger on D, move Benn to wing, and get better centers. Generally, you don't hear that kind of honesty because the actual meaning of what he's saying is that a couple of d-men need to be dumped, Benn isn't a good center, and the other centers available also aren't good enough.

While I love hearing what he's saying because I agree with it and like hearing a plan being put forward, this is a rarity given what it means to the guys on the roster. Not that anyone on this roster should feel like their job is safe...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad