Confirmed with Link: Stars hire Jim Nill to 5 year contract as new General Manager

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
there is a difference between drafting players that fit your philosophy and tactically adjusting to the talent available

I didn't say anything about drafting. I can't possibly be the only one who realizes that Nieuwendyk wanted two different styles of play during his four year tenure.

Pretty much the only thing he was consistent with was having a hard-on for players over 6"2'. I don't have anything against big players but I am happy to hear our new GM say that he values hockey smarts and competitive drive above all else.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
What? He clearly only had one philosophy. The drafting, signings, and trades all clearly painted one picture. Well except for maybe the trades at this years deadline.

Lessard had a goal in each game he played in Dallas.

Um... no. You go check Hockeydb and get back to me. ;)

aloonda*

I didn't say anything about drafting. I can't possibly be the only one who realizes that Nieuwendyk wanted two different styles of play during his four year tenure.

Pretty much the only thing he was consistent with was having a hard-on for players over 6"2'. I don't have anything against big players but I am happy to hear our new GM say that he values hockey smarts and competitive drive above all else.

I am as well.

While I still stand by my statement, it only works if you have a plan in the first place. GMJN#1 didn't seem to have a clear vision at times.

Arpi3080

Everybody be cool!
Aug 12, 2011
After almost 2 1/2 months in the GM position how would you rate his job/moves?

Frankly I would give him an A- because he did many unexpected trades/signings which I think will pay out for the organisation.

The minus is for the failed signing of Vinny but I have to admit he offered the best contract which they could give him.

mmqD3bM5MJLGzVt5iQI9L4A.jpg

Last edited:

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
He has some balls, but if his moves will pay off is hard to know.

I won't rate him until we have an idea of how good Seguin is for us. That said I like his moves so far.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
The minus is for the failed signing of Vinny but I have to admit he offered the best contract which they could give him.
Meh.. "Success" or "Failure" in free agency is the smallest aspect of judging a GM. Holmgren offered more dolllars, term, and a full NMC to Vinny. There's no jedi-GM-powers involved in that.

I'm far more interested in having a GM that develops a system where you rarely need free agents rather than one simply outbids everyone else.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Meh.. "Success" or "Failure" in free agency is the smallest aspect of judging a GM. Holmgren offered more dolllars, term, and a full NMC to Vinny. There's no jedi-GM-powers involved in that.

I'm far more interested in having a GM that develops a system where you rarely need free agents rather than one simply outbids everyone else.

Yup. He looks good so far, and A+ for having the stones to pull of the Seguin deal, but GM is over half development in my mind. When to bring guys up, what they need, finding the right teachers and the right mix of vets with kids.

All looks good on paper and he says the right things, but really can't say much until this time next year, or middle of the season following the upcoming one. Lame answer maybe but it is going to take a minute to get all of the new pieces working together and I really want to see what he does with this D (stands pat with Oleksiak/Nemeth, moves one or both, etc).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A+ from me so far. He's done everything I could ask.

The positives

1. Made sweeping changes. I wanted there to be some real player movement to shake up the core of the team, a core that has flamed out or choked late each season to miss the playoffs. He did that. With a new coach and a number of new faces, it should help provide some hope of seeing a different result.

2. Stuck by his promise to upgrade the centers. Three NHL centers were added to the roster. One of them looks to have all the tools to be a true #1 center.

3. Moved Benn to wing. Benn was a failed center. I was all for trying him there a couple of seasons ago, but he never adapted to the position.

4. Upgraded backup goalie. Ellis is a significant improvement. That should help Kari tons. Too often, Kari looked fatigued as seasons wore on because his coaches have overplayed him. A few added breaks should do wonders for his vitality.

5. Added talent to the defense. For the last few seasons, Goligoski was the only d-man equipped to play on the PP. Gonchar is a huge upgrade to give the Stars two d-men who can help on the PP.

6. Maintained roster spots for kids. Nill could have easily loaded up on vets, but he didn't. We are probably going to see a lot of ice time going to younger players like Dillon, Connauton, Seguin, Chiasson, Eakin, Nichushkin, and Roussel. Once again, that's over a third of the lineup being very young or inexperienced players. Like last season, a lot of young players are going to be given opportunities to play and earn spots.

The Negatives (but not really)

1. Defense remains a work in progress. If I have any complaint, it is that he did not do enough to upgrade the defense, but barring throwing an offer sheet at Pietrangelo, there are not many options out there. Swapping Larsen for Gonchar will be a big boost to the offensive production and power play potency on the blue line, but there are not many obvious upgrades out there over the other guys. He might be better waiting until next summer to see whether there are other trade options or free agents. Ideally, by next summer, the team should have a better idea if a couple of the guys in the AHL are ready to make the jump to take over for Robidas.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
A+ from me so far. He's done everything I could ask.

The positives

1. Made sweeping changes. I wanted there to be some real player movement to shake up the core of the team, a core that has flamed out or choked late each season to miss the playoffs. He did that. With a new coach and a number of new faces, it should help provide some hope of seeing a different result.

2. Stuck by his promise to upgrade the centers. Three NHL centers were added to the roster. One of them looks to have all the tools to be a true #1 center.

3. Moved Benn to wing. Benn was a failed center. I was all for trying him there a couple of seasons ago, but he never adapted to the position.

4. Upgraded backup goalie. Ellis is a significant improvement. That should help Kari tons. Too often, Kari looked fatigued as seasons wore on because his coaches have overplayed him. A few added breaks should do wonders for his vitality.

5. Added talent to the defense. For the last few seasons, Goligoski was the only d-man equipped to play on the PP. Gonchar is a huge upgrade to give the Stars two d-men who can help on the PP.

6. Maintained roster spots for kids. Nill could have easily loaded up on vets, but he didn't. We are probably going to see a lot of ice time going to younger players like Dillon, Connauton, Seguin, Chiasson, Eakin, Nichushkin, and Roussel. Once again, that's over a third of the lineup being very young or inexperienced players. Like last season, a lot of young players are going to be given opportunities to play and earn spots.

The Negatives (but not really)

1. Defense remains a work in progress. If I have any complaint, it is that he did not do enough to upgrade the defense, but barring throwing an offer sheet at Pietrangelo, there are not many options out there. Swapping Larsen for Gonchar will be a big boost to the offensive production and power play potency on the blue line, but there are not many obvious upgrades out there over the other guys. He might be better waiting until next summer to see whether there are other trade options or free agents. Ideally, by next summer, the team should have a better idea if a couple of the guys in the AHL are ready to make the jump to take over for Robidas.

I agree with all of this.

The defense didn't get finished but did get a big upgrade with Gonchar because you can bump guys down in responsibility more toward their ability levels. I expect the cap space of Whitney, Robidas, and Fiddler will go toward a big defense upgrade next offseason.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I always kind of wondered why Frank Provenzano didn't have his contract renewed by Nill. He had survived previous cuts like Les Jackson, and he was the cap guru along with being responsible for negotiating contracts.

Dowling said the negotiations with Dallas general manager Jim Nill started “more than a month ago,” but took a backseat after Rich Peverly’s cardiac emergency during a game on March 11.

“We wanted to make sure everything was OK with his health,” Dowling said. “After some positive news came out last week, my agent asked if it was OK to start negotiations again and then they heated up.”

Seems like Nill was planning on overseeing the details. I'm pretty sure previously the GM and staff would identify targets and then send in Provenzano to close the deal. If this characterization is correct, Nill is much more hands on in this department than Nieuwy or Jackson/Hull which wouldn't be that surprising.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I like that our GM wants to be hands on in these types of things, at least early on. I know negotiations and stuff are often delegated but I like that Nill wants to be more involved. It's one of the ways he can put his stamp on things.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I like that our GM wants to be hands on in these types of things, at least early on. I know negotiations and stuff are often delegated but I like that Nill wants to be more involved. It's one of the ways he can put his stamp on things.

Honestly though ... who do you delegate too? I guess he planned all along to be the guy because I went to check the website, and there's not really a guy on their staff to dump it too.

White and Jackson are tied up with the Texas Stars and all scouting. Janko has always been a media/public relations guy, and the other two, Gainey and Recchi are only advisers.

I guess there could be some underlings that do the details though, but other teams do have a dedicated guy.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Based on Nill's quotes at the time it was reported Provenzano wasn't being retained lead me to believe Nill just wanted to do those things himself. He probably doesn't sit there and do all the cap math himself but once he gets the cap information and internal budget stuff squared away he can do the negotiations himself and feel out the situation.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh I'm not complaining or anything I was just pointing out it's different from the recent past here, and I've seen several other teams carry a Provenzano type.

Personally I think it's probably a good thing. Sure at some point he might be taking on too much, but he needs to be the lead guy in most Dallas situations. He's obviously a detailed and organized guy that could do this. It was just interesting to see that quote earlier and realize that this appears to be another responsibility he's given himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad