GDT: Stars General Thread '23-24

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Doubling down early with Duchene kind of seems like a no brainer. He has chemistry with Seguin and Marchment. If Seguin goes on LTIR for an extended period, they’ll need to replace his production. Wonder if Nill could try to get something done now ahead of the offseason similar to Pavelski.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Doubling down early with Duchene kind of seems like a no brainer. He has chemistry with Seguin and Marchment. If Seguin goes on LTIR for an extended period, they’ll need to replace his production. Wonder if Nill could try to get something done now ahead of the offseason similar to Pavelski.

Duchene would be foolish to not wait. He'll almost certainly get bigger money offers and can weigh what he values more accurately in the offseason.

Pavelski is a bit different since he clearly came here to retire here.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Idk, Duche was pretty invisible without Segs. I love the guy but its probably still wiser to put Bourque in his spot and save the $ for raises and D upgrades next season.

Reactions: DieselPig

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The fact Pavs hasn't re-signed yet means there is a decent chance he retires at the end of the season imho . This year , while still good , his game has started to noticeably decline .

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I think Pavs retire as well, or the Stars let him walk. Roope and Robo haven't been as stellar as they normally are, and part of the reason has to be the decline of Pavs.

I'd be surprised to see Pavs stay unless he's willing to take a 4th line role.

I think if you have to re-sign one or the other, you take Duchene.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Idk, Duche was pretty invisible without Segs. I love the guy but its probably still wiser to put Bourque in his spot and save the $ for raises and D upgrades next season.

What? He wasn't scoring but he had at least one or two high quality scoring chances in almost every game without Seguin.

I don't disagree on the latter.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Pavs retire as well, or the Stars let him walk. Roope and Robo haven't been as stellar as they normally are, and part of the reason has to be the decline of Pavs.

I'd be surprised to see Pavs stay unless he's willing to take a 4th line role.

I think if you have to re-sign one or the other, you take Duchene.

Pavelski is either retiring or staying here for less money and a smaller role again. I can't see him moving cities again at this stage of his career . Don't think he goes team hopping for a Cup to end his career. If the Stars win this year he's 100% retiring imho.

Suter won't because he still needs to play next year to reach 1500 games. Can't see him not wanting that milestone

Last edited:

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Doesn't matter how much blue we have on those fancy images, we limit teams to 5-6 shots a period and our goalies still give up 1-2 weak goals. We can suppress all we want, unless we get those timely saves it doesn't mean anything.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
From the main board:

Dhaliwal is very well connected with Tanev and his agent, this is what Dhaliwal said in an interview this morning.

- Tanev loves Vancouver, still very close friends with players on the roster and people in organization
- The #1 place Tanev wanted to get traded to was Vancouver
-Canucks felt they had a better offer than Dallas for Tanev
-The Stars are going to try their hardest to re-sign him, but if he resigns in Dallas, it will have to be at a very good number for Tanev and the Stars will have to overpay

www.sportsnet.ca

Halford and Brough in the Morning

Boasting in-depth sports knowledge, entertaining on-air chemistry and a rolodex of sports’ biggest names, Halford & Brough in the Morning is ready to jumpstart the morning drive across Vancouver.
www.sportsnet.ca

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Meh. If he does thats fine.
Don't really need to commit more term to mid to late 30's players. Who have been the dictionary definition for injury prone.

Good as he's been, anything over 2yrs would likely be a mistake anyway.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Duchene would be foolish to not wait. He'll almost certainly get bigger money offers and can weigh what he values more accurately in the offseason.

Pavelski is a bit different since he clearly came here to retire here.
Theres a certain level of risk involved for both sides that I’m sure would be built into whatever Dallas were to offer. The question would be if they can mitigate enough of that risk to outweigh the opportunity to outperform whatever Dallas proposes. If Duchene likes it here and Dallas thinks they have an opportunity to secure him for a few years I think its a conversation worth having. I see the argument for allowing Stankoven and Borque to come in and concentrating on defense but I also wouldn’t take the offense for granted. It’s been great because Nill has been proactive about upgrading it.

I think their offensive depth is shaky and going into next season without insurance should be avoided if possible. Free agency is a mystery box- you have a good thing you know works here. Worth overpaying a little for if necessary IMO when you could easily end up overpaying for something that doesn’t work nearly as well anyway in free agency. I’m guilty of chastising current players or inaction despite not digging in myself to see if theres something that could have even been done better so I feel qualified to make this statement on the other end.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I am very hesitant to resign Duchene unless it's a bit of a sweetheart deal and for not too long. I am loving him on the team but he old and we have plenty of old on this team.

I think if a big part of the concern of Duchene walking is the drop off in Seguin's play, you have to consider Pavs.

If Pavs retires or is willing to take a depth role, then that opens a spot for Seguin on the top line. He has shown that he can almost live up to his contract when he has a skilled speedy center to play with.

Robo - Hintz - Seguin
Benn - Wyatt - Stank
March - Mav - Pavs/FA

This is not an upgrade to our current top 9 (although it may upgrade our 1st line) but it is going to be pretty hard to upgrade what is arguably the best forward group in the league right now. You should be able to upgrade the D with the money gained from Duchene leaving and Pavs retiring or resigning at a lower amount.

Just something to consider...

Reactions: LT

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If you go the keep Duchene route I'd explore moving Hintz to RW and elevate WJ to 1C because we know it's going to happen eventually regardless. Hintz' regular season floating/give-up/back to the bench tendency becomes less of an issue on the wing. There's an argument to be made here that knowingly buying into Duchene's decline is OK because it turns the Marchment deal from a liability into an asset and keeps Seguin trucking along as well.

JRob-WJ-Hintz
Marchment-Duchene-Seguin
Benn-Borkoven

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca