GDT: Stars General Thread '23-24

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I disagree with both this comment and your assessment of PDB as a moron. His coaching record speaks for itself, prior and here, and a moron wouldn't be coaching a team in chase of the PT. It makes some sense to go big, as the playoffs tend to be rougher, and of course, we lost to a bigger set of defensemen last year. Granted, we lost a few games ourselves with a lazy pass by Suter and a freakout by Jamie, but we didn't match their D size.

Besides, there will need to be many adjustments made and if PDB thinks Jani isn't cutting it, he will surely replace either he or Suter if required. Chances that we win the Cup are still 1 in 16, or factoring our record and that the lower 8 seeds probably won't advance as far, but sometimes do, perhaps our odds are 1 in 12+, or 8-12%. One player on a roster won't likely move that needle more than a % or two.
The other problem I have is that the Stars poor play during the streak leading up to Hakanpaa getting hurt wasn't entirely or even 50% on him. All three d pairs were out there giving up goals. It's not like swapping out the #6 d-man is why the top pair started playing better.

Reactions: Satan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
One reason it was poor was because it was a more difficult stretch of games and opponents in the last two weeks of Feb., including yet another trip to COL on the back end of games on consecutive nights. Of course, we have a better record now that the schedule has eased up a bit.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
It is funny/curious that PDB never changing the lines after a win had become a full-on meme around here and yet the team is unbeaten with Nils in over his last 15 while he keeps getting the hook regardless

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Noticed this a few games back but still pretty close- Avs and Stars a lot alike 75 games in.

TeamRankWinsRankGF/GPRankGARankNet PPRankNet PK
StarsT2
47​
3rd
3.64​
11th
2.91​
T4
22.2​
4th
86.9​
AvsT2
47​
1st
3.71​
13th
2.97​
T4
22.2​
7th
85.4​

Alot different player usage to get the same type of result. Avs play their big guys 25-30 minutes every night Stars don't play any forward even 20 minutes.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That is elite company for the most part.

Monahan got derailed by wrist injuries, Laine by mental health, EKane by being an absolute moron. The rest are all HOF caliber players.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
List had me in the first half then I saw Kane

In Kane's defense, he did suffer through numerous injuries until the ego came out. He has never played an entire season, and only touched 30 goals once more in his career.

Methinks he had the talent, then he got slow too fast and his game changed for the worse. He's had a pretty tragic career. Maybe akin to Monahan or Laine. All the talent, just bad luck, injuries and never recovered. The other guys on that list managed to stay healthy and recover their careers.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
That is elite company for the most part.

Monahan got derailed by wrist injuries, Laine by mental health, EKane by being an absolute moron. The rest are all HOF caliber players.
I disagree with both this comment and your assessment of EKane as a moron. His goal scoring record speaks for itself, prior and here, and a moron wouldn't be playing for a team in chase of the SC. It makes some sense to go big, as the playoffs tend to be rougher, and of course, he lost to a bigger set of defensemen last year. Granted, he lost a few games himself with a lazy pass by EKane and a freakout by EKane, but he didn't match their D or even PP size.

Besides, there will need to be many adjustments made and if EKane thinks EKane isn't cutting it, he will surely replace Suter if required. Chances that he wins the Cup are still 1 in 16, or factoring his record and that the lower 8 seeds probably won't advance as far, but sometimes do, perhaps his odds are 1 in 12+, or 8-12%. One player on a roster won't likely move that needle more than a % or two, unless it's EKane.

• Wow
Reactions: Satan and Kcb12345

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I disagree with both this comment and your assessment of EKane as a moron. His goal scoring record speaks for itself, prior and here, and a moron wouldn't be playing for a team in chase of the SC. It makes some sense to go big, as the playoffs tend to be rougher, and of course, he lost to a bigger set of defensemen last year. Granted, he lost a few games himself with a lazy pass by EKane and a freakout by EKane, but he didn't match their D or even PP size.

Besides, there will need to be many adjustments made and if EKane thinks EKane isn't cutting it, he will surely replace Suter if required. Chances that he wins the Cup are still 1 in 16, or factoring his record and that the lower 8 seeds probably won't advance as far, but sometimes do, perhaps his odds are 1 in 12+, or 8-12%. One player on a roster won't likely move that needle more than a % or two, unless it's EKane.

I genuinely have no idea what this post is trying to say

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Maybe they confused him with Dellandrea, though that seems a bit high for Dellandrea

Perhaps they confused him with Beniers. In that regard they'd were very close :sarcasm:

They projected Shane Wright to get 40 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad