OT: Stars EHM Help & Discussion

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Been playing a lottt of EHM these past 24 hours...super fun and in depth but man are the player values off lol and also Mark Janko, the fans, and the board hate every single trade I make.

I traded Khudobin for 2 first round picks and they were furious saying that Khudobin was untouchable and that I need to prioritize & manage our assets better. :laugh: in real life we'd be arrested for that kinda robbery

Also another thing that didn't make sense in that deal - only Tampa and the Rangers were interested in him...teams with the 2 best Goalies in the world. Rangers traded 2022 1st and 2023 1st for him

Same situation when I moved Klingberg for 2 1sts and a 2nd round pick.

But other than those minor complaints I'm having a blast with this theres so much more detail than NHL 22.

Only other kinda frustrating that Johnston, Bourque, & Stankoven tho are really underperforming and not considered very good prospects for my team. Big reason I'm trying to accumulate so many picks. Also Remi Poirier was one of the top Goalies in the Q for his team and then I skipped forward a few days and suddenly they've released him :sarcasm:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Been playing a lottt of EHM these past 24 hours...super fun and in depth but man are the player values off lol and also Mark Janko, the fans, and the board hate every single trade I make.

I traded Khudobin for 2 first round picks and they were furious saying that Khudobin was untouchable and that I need to prioritize & manage our assets better. :laugh: in real life we'd be arrested for that kinda robbery

Also another thing that didn't make sense in that deal - only Tampa and the Rangers were interested in him...teams with the 2 best Goalies in the world. Rangers traded 2022 1st and 2023 1st for him

But other than those minor complaints I'm having a blast with this theres so much more detail than NHL 22.

Only other kinda frustrating that Johnston, Bourque, & Stankoven tho are really underperforming and not considered very good prospects for my team. Big reason I'm trying to accumulate so many picks. Also Remi Poirier was one of the top Goalies in the Q for his team and then I skipped forward a few days and suddenly they've released him :sarcasm:
Which db are you using?
Also with prospects they are put in with a negative potential that acts like a random range.
When the db initializes a new game.
So you may have gotten some bad luck with the big 3.

They are probably in as - 8 which is anywhere from 2nd line to Career ahler. Iirc. And you've gotten unlucky with them all getting low end

Last edited:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston

I don't know why that happens with trade feedback. Some update came out and that just started happening. Also, my AGM started always telling me every proposal I make is dreadful. It's probably true but it hurts my feelings.

The people at TBL that make the roster updates don't set the potential for NHL prospects typically. They set a flag that tells the game engine to produce a random potential within a range of values. So like Johnston for example probably could end up with a potential anywhere between fringe NHLer and all-star, and it's just a dice roll which one he actually gets to become. And then of course he might not even reach his potential value as set in the DB. Players will stagnate super hard if they're rushed to the NHL early, and it's way way harsher than it is in real life, IMO.

In my game, those three sucked but for some reason Justin Ertel of all people was really good.

Reactions: LT and Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Which db are you using?
Also with prospects they are put in with a negative potential that acts like a random range.
When the db initializes a new game.
So you may have gotten some bad luck with the big 3.

They are probably in as - 8 which is anywhere from 2nd line to Career ahler. Iirc. And you've gotten unlucky with them all getting low end

Most recent TBL roster and I have it set to "full"

And damn that sucks. Stranges is performing well however so at least there's that

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don't know why that happens with trade feedback. Some update came out and that just started happening. Also, my AGM started always telling me every proposal I make is dreadful. It's probably true but it hurts my feelings.

The people at TBL that make the roster updates don't set the potential for NHL prospects typically. They set a flag that tells the game engine to produce a random potential within a range of values. So like Johnston for example probably could end up with a potential anywhere between fringe NHLer and all-star, and it's just a dice roll which one he actually gets to become. And then of course he might not even reach his potential value as set in the DB. Players will stagnate super hard if they're rushed to the NHL early, and it's way way harsher than it is in real life, IMO.

In my game, those three sucked but for some reason Justin Ertel of all people was really good.

Hmm maybe I should've kept Khudobin then rather than brought Oettinger up :laugh:I did notice Oettinger's numbers aren't great...might need to trade for a goalie. Maybe I'll bring in Wedgewood

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Hmm maybe I should've kept Khudobin then rather than brought Oettinger up :laugh:I did notice Oettinger's numbers aren't great...might need to trade for a goalie. Maybe I'll bring in Wedgewood
Getting good numbers out of your goalie is really hard. You have to set defensive tactics and make sure all your assistants and HC like to play a "patient and defensive" style. You also need all your units (lines) to get strong scores in defense, speed, toughness. You can even do everything right and still not get results just because your players have poor scores in completely hidden attributes. It's a lot easier to go all out offense but making a defensive dynasty sounds like an interesting challenge.

Reactions: Kcb12345

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Most recent TBL roster and I have it set to "full"

And damn that sucks. Stranges is performing well however so at least there's that
In 90% certain in that db, they are either -8 or -15(bigger range) so it could be an unlucky draw.

They also could just be behind their CA.
Players have 2 ability values.
Current and potential.
They might still have a high potential and low current ability which could account for their low performances too.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In 90% certain in that db, they are either -8 or -15(bigger range) so it could be an unlucky draw.

They also could just be behind their CA.
Players have 2 ability values.
Current and potential.
They might still have a high potential and low current ability which could account for their low performances too.

3-star players in the future it says so not high potential right now i suppose unless there's another way to tell

Johnston has like 20 points in 60 junior games oof

Edit: oh wait Bourque is projecting to be a 5-star player sweet

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
3-star players in the future it says so not high potential right now i suppose unless there's another way to tell

Johnston has like 20 points in 60 junior games oof

Edit: oh wait Bourque is projecting to be a 5-star player sweet
Johnston is a -19
Stankoven is a -19 as well
Bourque is a -9

The first 2 are weird, and the highest i knew of was -15... So not sure what -19 correlates to.
-9 Potential will be between should be around a 150 -175ish maybe higher Potential ability (1st liner)
-15, goes from like 100-190 anywhere from AHL to "Generational". I assume -19 is maybe 0-200, but i honestly have no idea on that one.

Also scouts and coaches can be wrong on player evals too.
Basically don't rush to sign any of the CHL guys, and invite them to camp every year, you'll get a good idea after a couple of years if they'll actually develop into anything....
or you can cheat and access the memory (i'm sure there is a save game editor in the steam workshop) to see what the intialization resolved to in your game....

edit in my newest save.
Stankoven is at 174 and Johnston is at 136.
So -19 at the least encompasses that range

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Bourque is a -9, Johnston and Stank -19

The first 2 are weird, and the highest i knew of was -15... So not sure what -19 correlates to.
-9 Potential will be between should be around a 150 -175ish maybe higher Potential ability (1st liner)
-15, goes from like 100-190 anywhere from AHL to "Generational". I assume -19 is maybe 0-200, but i honestly have no idea on that one.

Also scouts and coaches can be wrong on player evals too.
Basically don't rush to sign any of the CHL guys, and invite them to camp every year, you'll get a good idea after a couple of years if they'll actually develop into anything....
or you can cheat and access the memory (i'm sure there is a save game editor in the steam workshop) to see what the intialization resolved to in your game....

edit in my newest save.
Stankoven is at 174 and Johnston is at 136.
So -19 at the least encompasses that range

There’s a tool you can download that allows you to both create new players and modify existing ones. You can really crank up the potential on anyone you want. I can’t remember if it’s on the steam workshop now, it didn’t used to be. The EHM forums have some documentation on it.

Takes a bit of the fun away, though.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If it makes yall feel any better, my EHM team is currently 50-7-6 and we signed Auston Matthews in free agency last offseason. Benn & Faksa are buried in the AHL. Seguin was traded. Oh and we drafted Bedard 3rd overall a couple of seasons ago after I traded up to get him:laugh:

Just think of it instead of the real-life Stars team and you'll be having a great offseason

Reactions: Triple Ex El

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
If it makes yall feel any better, my EHM team is currently 50-7-6 and we signed Auston Matthews in free agency last offseason. Benn & Faksa are buried in the AHL. Seguin was traded. Oh and we drafted Bedard 3rd overall a couple of seasons ago after I traded up to get him:laugh:

Just think of it instead of the real-life Stars team and you'll be having a great offseason
You are going to turn into SkyGodz eventually!

Reactions: The Tourist

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
@Kcb12345
How do you play this EHM? I just downloaded and started up a game. I selected Dallas and it just has a bunch of random player names on the team. How do I get the real rosters? Sorry for the dumb question but I've never played before.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
@Kcb12345
How do you play this EHM? I just downloaded and started up a game. I selected Dallas and it just has a bunch of random player names on the team. How do I get the real rosters? Sorry for the dumb question but I've never played before.

No problem its just @Klockis linked. I just downloaded whatever the most recent TBL roster was on there

Then when you create a new game you load it in as the roster

Reactions: Klockis

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
How do you progress forward to the next day?
You can use space to move forward day at a time, provided there is nothing you need to acknowledge(trade offers/interview question prompts/award votes)
Some screens like the scouting/trade screen you're kind of locked in, as in. You won't be and to advance until you hit close/submit/exit on that individual screen.
Even if you went to it, jumped back to the roster menu.

Reactions: The Tourist and LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You can use space to move forward day at a time, provided there is nothing you need to acknowledge(trade offers/interview question prompts/award votes)
Some screens like the scouting/trade screen you're kind of locked in, as in. You won't be and to advance until you hit close/submit/exit on that individual screen.
Even if you went to it, jumped back to the roster menu.

The UI can be a bit clunky sometimes. There’s an FHM or something similar that has a more user friendly UI but the core game is a lot worse.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I remember trying EHM years ago. It's basically just doing your taxes with a hockey skin over it.

I do miss the old days of the FHLSim and SimonT Hockey Simulator leagues I was in though. Doing spreadsheets of teams in my free time in my 20s really made me prepared for the reporting I do now in my 30s for my office job. :laugh:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I remember trying EHM years ago. It's basically just doing your taxes with a hockey skin over it.

I do miss the old days of the FHLSim and SimonT Hockey Simulator leagues I was in though. Doing spreadsheets of teams in my free time in my 20s really made me prepared for the reporting I do now in my 30s for my office job. :laugh:
I do find that EHM is very dry and lacks personality but I can get past that since its like 1 guy who worked on it. Its nice to have on the side while doing something else

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
My EHM team just won the 2026 Stanley Cup :). Last season we lost in game 7 of the WCF. 2 straight presidents trophies tho

We traded for Kaprizov as a rental and it came up huge cause Matthews tore his ACL right before the Stanley Cup Finals and is out for 6 months. Robertson led the team in points tho in the playoffs and Oettinger was dominant. Oh, and we signed Victor Hedman this past offseason and he was big for us too. Used that Jamie Benn cap space well

Also, my main complaint with this game is how many guys get injured in practice. Am I doing something wrong there? I haven't messed with any of the practice settings are they going too hard or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad