Proposal: Stars-Canadiens

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Nothing in this deal make the needle move for MTL honestly.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to ask Dallas fan for a long time how is Lindell? Has he been good this year? Is he expendable? Where does he fit in your hierarchy? (Just as pure information for me, don't want to include him in a deal for Patches)

Lindell had a trial-by-fire in '16-'17 since he was the only LD who had any kind of chemistry with Klingberg. He was over his head to start with and got burned quite a bit, but by the end of the season, the experience had turned him into a solid #3. This season he took another step, and is now a legitimate #2 D playing ~22 mins a game (with the third best +/- on the team, for what that's worth).

He is not remotely expendable at present, but theoretically he could be in a couple of years if both Heiskanen and Heatherington reach their full potential.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to ask Dallas fan for a long time how is Lindell? Has he been good this year? Is he expendable? Where does he fit in your hierarchy? (Just as pure information for me, don't want to include him in a deal for Patches)

From what I've heard, he's played like a steady borderline top pair D

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

He is our 2nd best D and its not close. He emerged this year as a low end #2 or a very solid #3 and is the absolute perfect partner for Klingberg. I fully expect Heiskanen to eventually push him down to our 2nd best LD but he is a very solid fit for 1LD.

He is very far from expendable and is mentioned with names like Benn, Seguin and Klingberg whenever Jim Nill talks about core players. He would have been attainable at the start of the year because last year he looked like he struggled with big minutes but he squashed those worries this year. Funny enough on these boards the start of the year I proposed a basis of Lindell for Galchenyuk but given what Lindell has shown there is just no way I would entertain moving him at this point.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Lindell had a trial-by-fire in '16-'17 since he was the only LD who had any kind of chemistry with Klingberg. He was over his head to start with and got burned quite a bit, but by the end of the season, the experience had turned him into a solid #3. This season he took another step, and is now a legitimate #2 D playing ~22 mins a game (with the third best +/- on the team, for what that's worth).

He is not remotely expendable at present, but theoretically he could be in a couple of years if both Heiskanen and Heatherington reach their full potential.

Heatherington has 0 chance of becoming a player that would make Lindell expendable. I like Heater and he was a solid return for Korpikoski but the kid is a 7th D with a decent chance at being a solid #5. He has no shot at being a top pair D.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Great stuff, thanks guys! Always liked him, happy he put it together!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As a Stars fan, I feel like Shore and 13 or whatever is as much as I want to spend in a package to get rid of Spezza's cap hit for one year.

that's understandable although it only matters what the two GM's are willing to do. The Habs can afford his cap hit and maybe they could flip him if they eat half his contract to get something else of value since that's the kind of moves they should be making to get better prospects/picks.

Also I think the Habs fans here are way too hung up on Spezza. Its extremely common for teams to want to even out money in trades. Spezza can still play, sure he isnt the Spezza of old but he 100% can still play in the NHL, and his contract expires in a year. He is simply the most logical (if he agrees to waive) player to send the other way in any trade to help even out the money. Its pretty rare a team will just take on a lot of cap through a trade

Pac has a 4.5M cap hit and the Habs could eat half of that in need be, so the only reason they should be taking on a bad contract is to get better picks/prospects.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I had the idea before of Pacioretty ~for~ 13th overall, 2019 2nd, Hintz. This isn't far off, I wouldn't want both Shore and Spezza. I'd rather a pick or prospect instead.

Pacioretty
~for~
Spezza
2018 1st rd. pick
2019 2nd rd. pick

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
if Dallas does get Pacioretty I would like to request their organization then go and get Desharnais to play C for him

it would be so next level

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Again unless Veleno is around at #13 the rest of the Stars offer is garbage.No veleno ,No deal.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Again unless Veleno is around at #13 the rest of the Stars offer is garbage.No veleno ,No deal.

I'm not even all that sold on Veleno yet, but whatever. There are some other guys in that range I'd be interested in for sure.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I would want Faksa not Shore and I understand that would probably break the deal. I wouldn't lose any sleep if they made this deal as is but definitely wouldn't be cheering in the streets

Faksa could finish top 5 in Selke voting this year (at least Friedman seems to think so). It would definitely break the deal.

Patches has less value than Habs fans think. Less than they would want back in trade at least.

Reactions: Kuola

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Patches has less value than Habs fans think. Less than they would want back in trade at least.

I agree the time to trade him at max value was last year or even the year before when he had more term left

The habs do have the option of re-signing him then trading him while retaining salary which isn't optimal but could really up his value again to us.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I agree the time to trade him at max value was last year or even the year before when he had more term left

The habs do have the option of re-signing him then trading him while retaining salary which isn't optimal but could really up his value again to us.

I think the Habs could let Dallas talk to him to see if they can come to an agreement or at least an understanding as far as an extension goes.

Reactions: Runner77

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He is our 2nd best D and its not close. He emerged this year as a low end #2 or a very solid #3 and is the absolute perfect partner for Klingberg. I fully expect Heiskanen to eventually push him down to our 2nd best LD but he is a very solid fit for 1LD.

He is very far from expendable and is mentioned with names like Benn, Seguin and Klingberg whenever Jim Nill talks about core players. He would have been attainable at the start of the year because last year he looked like he struggled with big minutes but he squashed those worries this year. Funny enough on these boards the start of the year I proposed a basis of Lindell for Galchenyuk but given what Lindell has shown there is just no way I would entertain moving him at this point.

Agree 100%. Would be amazing if Heiskanen turns out as planned and Lindell is able to go into our 2nd pairing while still being a legit #2 dman. What a defense that could be. Hope everything goes well with Honka, because I'm really feeling it with top 4 D pairings of

Heiskanen-Klingberg
Lindell-Honka

The European Jim Nill influence is real

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
he’d be no help in the playoffs anyway

I think Dallas's primary problem is that they can't MAKE the playoffs to begin with. Are you sure you're a Stars fan?

To OP: Great deal all-in-all, but I think I would rather Nichushkin over Spezza. He would replace + make Shaw expendable, which I think is very important moving forward. It would also give us a pretty solid 3rd line with Shore/Danault/Nuke.

Spezza would be a great 2C, but we don't really need a 2C, we need a 1C.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'd do Pacioretty for Dallas 1st, Dickinson, Spezza (retained to make it even salary with Pacioretty)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad