Proposal: Stars-Canadiens

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
** I know Spezza didn't want to come to Canada back then. This is based on the appeal that he'd get a bigger role with Habs than in Dallas.

For Dallas :
  • Dallas needs help up front after their 1st line
  • Pacioretty-Radulov have proven chemistry
  • 75% of Spezza's money off could be use to improve the team this summer/plan to sign Pacioretty long term
For Montreal :

• Habs get a mid 1st round pick to draft a potential C (Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Hayton) + solve LHD with their own pick
  • Get a youngish C in Shore hoping he becomes more than a 35 pts C with increased usage
  • Gets Spezza to fill the gap for 1 year. Hopefully he likes it here (& perform as a 2C standard) and sign another 1 year deal after his current contract

:stars
Max Pacioretty

:habs

13th pick 2018
Devin Shore
Jason Spezza (25% retained)

Thoughts? Doable?

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Is Spezza a cap dump in your proposal or is he part of the value? The Stars will have the cap space to keep Spezza and bring on Pacioretty.

I think Shore will end up as either the worst player on a 2nd line or the best player on a 3rd line + PK guy. He struggled a lot of this season, but so did every Dallas forward not named Benn, Seguin or Radulov. Dallas would still need to sort out 2nd line center, but adding Pacioretty would help.

If Hitch doesn't return, I'd even be open to giving Spezza that 2C job back. We saw flashes of Spezza's ability all year when he wasnt stashed on the 4th line with grinders, I'd be willing to bank on a bit of a comeback. I dont think 50-55 points is completely out of the question for him if he played with Radulov and Pacioretty all season in a modern NHL system.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Would definitely be interested in Pacioretty, and this price isn't too bad. Not really sure how I feel about it honestly

Reactions: Hardworker33

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
This is actually not bad all and probably along lines of the value we would get for MP. Good job OP.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
** I know Spezza didn't want to come to Canada back then. This is based on the appeal that he'd get a bigger role with Habs than in Dallas.

For Dallas :
  • 75% of Spezza's money off could be use to improve the team this summer/plan to sign Pacioretty long term
For Montreal :

• Habs get a mid 1st round pick to draft a potential C (Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Hayton) + solve LHD with their own pick
  • Get a youngish C in Shore hoping he becomes more than a 35 pts C with increased usage
  • Gets Spezza to fill the gap for 1 year. Hopefully he likes it here (& perform as a 2C standard) and sign another 1 year deal after his current contract

Max Pacioretty

13th pick 2018
Devin Shore

Thoughts? Doable?

I would love Patches, not sure how much I like paying the 13th pick for a year of his services before he costs us a lot on a new contract

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Is Spezza a cap dump in your proposal or is he part of the value? The Stars will have the cap space to keep Spezza and bring on Pacioretty.

I think Shore will end up as either the worst player on a 2nd line or the best player on a 3rd line + PK guy. He struggled a lot of this season, but so did every Dallas forward not named Benn, Seguin or Radulov. Dallas would still need to sort out 2nd line center, but adding Pacioretty would help.

If Hitch doesn't return, I'd even be open to giving Spezza that 2C job back. We saw flashes of Spezza's ability all year when he wasnt stashed on the 4th line with grinders, I'd be willing to bank on a bit of a comeback. I dont think 50-55 points is completely out of the question for him if he played with Radulov and Pacioretty all season in a modern NHL system.

Kind of both? haha. Yes, his salary is high but only for a year. I still think he has a bit left in him. I wouldn't consider him as a pure cap dump but he's not adding a ton of value to the deal either. I, for sure, think with how bad Habs C depth is, Spezza would be a welcome addition more than anywhere else in the NHL.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
As a Habs fan don’t want Spezza, too old and as a Stars fan definitely don’t want Vanisheretty, he’d be no help in the playoffs anyway and he needs too much help and seems to be picky over who he has chemistry with

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
As a Habs fan don’t want Spezza, too old and as a Stars fan definitely don’t want Vanisheretty, he’d be no help in the playoffs anyway and he needs too much help and seems to be picky over who he has chemistry with

Hence the Radulov connection. Also, he's close to .5 ppg production in playoffs compared to his .75 ppg during the season. Most of the players tend to dip production wise during playoffs.

I've been very hard on Pacioretty during playoffs, but in Dallas, he wouldn't be the main guy which suits him perfectly and he'd be valuable in that role.

As for Spezza, obviously he's not part of the future plan. If you don't want him fine, but you're talking as if he was the main target of the trade when in fact, he's the least asset. The focus is on the 13th pick to draft a C & gambling on Shore. Spezza is just gravy to balance money and filling a jersey at C with a somewhat competent player.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

For Dallas :
For Montreal :

Max Pacioretty

13th pick 2018
Devin Shore

Thoughts? Doable?
This would depend on who would be around for the 13th pick. The only way i would do this as a Hab fan is if Veleno is still there. if not i'd pass.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Might be a good move for Dallas to get Pac if they can play him with Radulov as they go well together. I'd like to get the 13th overall pick as a starting point, no interest in Spezza and his 7.5M cap hit although not that the Habs don't have the space and likely won't have much to spend it on again next year. If we are taking on that contract I'd want something bigger for it then Shore but no clue what.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No chance.
Thats basically Pacioretty for a mid 1st round pick.
Spezza has no value, and Shore isnt needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad