Pre-Game Talk: Stars at Pens Tanner Glass Memorial Pregame Posting Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I remember the last Stars game where they made us look like amateurs. Or like we did over the weekend.

Yeah... but... Glass!

Remember?!?

He shook the foundations of the game itself and our preconceived notions of how it should be played in that match!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Shero/Bylsma are not bad. They are both top half at what they do. They are just toxic together. Say what you want - Shero has put together a very solid team. The usage of players is insanely questioned. Shero not doing anything about it makes him accountable. But do you really expect him to waive Adams when DB says he needs him? A coaches job is to coach. A GM gives them the ability to do what they want.

One thing that CONSISTENTLY goes unnoticed is the lack of pending UFA forwards who choose to not come play w/ Malkin/Sid. Wonder why? Listen to stories such as Jarome Iginla. Watch Tanner Glass and Adams get the time they do over potential stars.

I won't say that's happening every time, but it plays a part in research. Do you think ANY USA Olympic player would come to Pittsburgh?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Yeah... but... Glass!

Remember?!?

He shook the foundations of the game itself and our preconceived notions of how it should be played in that match!

Yes! The Penguins as a team were shut out but Tanner Glass showed those men of will what will really was!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
SHero/Bylsma are not bad. They are both top half at what they do. They are just toxic together. Say what you want - Shero has put together a very solid team. The usage of players is insanely questioned.

One thing that CONSISTENTLY goes unnoticed is the lack of pending UFA forwards who choose to not come play w/ Malkin/Sid. Wonder why? Listen to stories such as Jarome Iginla. Watch Tanner Glass and Adams get the time they do over potential stars.

I won't say that's happening every time, but it plays a part in research. Do you think ANY USA Olympic player would come to Pittsburgh?

Shelly Anderson does

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Is there a worse GM / coach combo in the NHL?

I'm still in the "Defend Shero" camp, though that will quickly change if things go south this postseason and there aren't any major changes made. Shero seems to be pretty "hands off" in that he gives DB the pieces but lets him use them how he sees fit, though I'm not sure how most GM/coach relationships work, so maybe that's the norm. How many other coaches would have tried to force Iggy onto Malkin's LW instead of Crosby's RW?? Is it on Shero to call him into his office and say "I didn't get a world class RW for you to play second line LW, so knock off the ********"? I don't know.

What I do know is that they have an insurance policy in Jacques Martin, and if Shero has the sack to use it, I have no problem with him continuing to run the team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think a part of that is Shero's arrogance for assuming that players will take a "home town discount" to play with Sid and Geno. When has he ever offered the best deal to a UFA? His offers are always "competitive", but he seems to offer deals that imply a discount for the privilege to play next to Sid.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Even the possible thought of this probably makes Ray Shero drink heavily. I mean... even heavier. He's probably been firmly off the wagon since Staal broke his heart.

Hmm... possible explanation for some things?

But yeah... not directing this at you but let's not be too melodramatic, here. There are worse GMs and coaches in the league, for sure. Although Disco and Shero are proving to be a pretty questionable combination together.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I think it will have to be a 1st round exit for Shero to even consider getting rid of Bylsma. That or possibly a second round embarrassment. It seems they are stuck at the hip together at the moment. I like Shero, I think he is one of the better gm's. For some of the **** he gets he's done a really good job. I don't like all of the "family" resignings that happened, especially Adams but it is what it is now.

Bylsma could be a good coach too. Just not the best option for this version of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yes! The Penguins as a team were shut out but Tanner Glass showed those men of will what will really was!

You thought the object of the game was to score more goals than the other team?

HA!

Glass (along with the help of our esteemed local media) opened our eyes to the fact that it is only important to throw poofster hits two seconds after the puck is gone. THAT, my friend, wins you those crucial imaginary hockey games. With imaginary goals and forcefields... and line after line of Craig Adams, Tanner Glass, Chris Conner, Brooks Orpik and Derek Engelland!

*wistful sigh*

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Shero/Bylsma are not bad. They are both top half at what they do. They are just toxic together.

Bylsma for one IS bad. You cannot look at the multi-year tour de force of nonsense he has put on us, and consider his record more than an extension of the rosters he has had the blind luck to have.

Shero.... I am in agreement more, but it has been a LONG time since anything he did panned out. Most the time you can see the rationale and nod though.

Either way, I don't think it makes a ton of sense talking about them being worse as a combination than just one by one.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
You thought the object of the game was to score more goals than the other team?

HA!

Glass (along with the help of our esteemed local media) opened our eyes to the fact that it is only important to throw poofster hits two seconds after the puck is gone. THAT, my friend, wins you those crucial imaginary hockey games. With imaginary goals and forcefields... and line after line of Craig Adams, Tanner Glass, Chris Conner, Brooks Orpik and Derek Engelland!

*wistful sigh*

I'm mostly looking forward to the pregame Roots sports collage that will indeed remind us of what a Godsend Tanner Glass was.

Goals be damned! We need moar hitZ!1

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think there's been an impact, but that's got to be something that's gotten worse over the years. The Olympic players saw him up close, UFA's have seen what he did with Iginla and the pattern of failing under pressure. Don't go to Pittsburgh expecting to play with Crosby/Malkin or have a role on the PP/PK, watch out if you're young, you might not play your position, it's got to occur to them.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Do not agree that Shero has put together a winner here. Do not agree with this one bit. A lot of the wrong guys are in the lineup over guys who would be better, but those better guys are still the wrong guys for the role they'd be playing.

Solving this team's problems is not as simple as sitting Gladams, dressing Vitale and having a Z/Vitale/Gibbons fourth when everyone gets healthy.

That just creates a new, slightly less serious set of fatal problems, in that instead of getting stuck in their zone because they can't skate, they'll get stuck in their zone because they're not nearly big and strong enough.

It IS probably worth noting that the cap going down is a factor in how wretched the bottom six would be, even if the best guys were used (and they aren't).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This team needs to get back to the finals or crash and burn in the 1st round. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be chalked up to bad luck, hot goaltending and more than likely, lack of the holy trinity known as the 3C model. And Shero will go after Kesler in the offseason and give DB another shot next year.

Fire Shero*

Shero/Bylsma are not bad. They are both top half at what they do. They are just toxic together. Say what you want - Shero has put together a very solid team. The usage of players is insanely questioned. Shero not doing anything about it makes him accountable. But do you really expect him to waive Adams when DB says he needs him? A coaches job is to coach. A GM gives them the ability to do what they want.

Shero and Bylsma aren't good.

It's not Sid and Geno's job to bring players to pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure that's Shero's job.

I honesty don't think he offers free agent forwards contracts. Yea he pursued Parise and it didn't seem like he had a chance.

Last summer off-season pretty much shows how crappy Shero has gotten at his job.

He signed Dopee before free agency began. He re-signed Adams and Scuderi on the day free agency started.

He had no intention to even pursue any other players. There have been plenty of Michael Ryders and Valteri Filpulas. We don't need a Parise type player for Sid and there have been plenty available in free agency over the past 5 seasons.
But for whatever reason, he spends way too much on dmen and then goes dumpster diving for forwards. How many more Kobasews, Comries, D'Ags, etc does he need to sign? They aren't going to revitalize their careers, none have.

Shero has ruined this team

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This team needs to get back to the finals or crash and burn in the 1st round. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be chalked up to bad luck, hot goaltending and more than likely, lack of the holy trinity known as the 3C model. And Shero will go after Kesler in the offseason and give DB another shot next year.

I think that happens even if they "crash and burn".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

On top of all that, the cap being lowered and injuries should round out whatever pre-loaded set of excuses the team has at the ready. And they do.

I can't really pull for it... but I agree that an absolutely devastating implosion of grandiose proportions is likely the only real chance of change.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Do not agree that Shero has put together a winner here. Do not agree with this one bit. A lot of the wrong guys are in the lineup over guys who would be better, but those better guys are still the wrong guys for the role they'd be playing.

Solving this team's problems is not as simple as sitting Gladams, dressing Vitale and having a Z/Vitale/Gibbons fourth when everyone gets healthy.

That just creates a new, slightly less serious set of fatal problems, in that instead of getting stuck in their zone because they can't skate, they'll get stuck in their zone because they're not nearly big and strong enough.

It IS probably worth noting that the cap going down is a factor in how wretched the bottom six would be, even if the best guys were used (and they aren't).

Every fourth line has it's weaknesses. A smaller line with Z Vitale Megna would be muscled at times in their own end, but they would create energy and be a push back line that can counter attack and create offense. That is the exact kind of line that causes fits for Boston.

Any line with Adams and Glass is hemmed into their own end, and has absolutely zero pushback. None.

So I agree the lineup isn't ideal, but one without Adams, Glass and Pyatt is markedly better IMHO.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yes, the best 4th-line this penguins roster could construct would have weaknesses but

1) I'd take those weaknesses over the current 4th line

2) A SMART COACH WOULDN'T BE PUTTING THEM OUT THERE FOR 13 MINUTES A NIGHT AGAINST TOUGH MATCH-UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad