Pre-Game Talk: Stars at Pens Tanner Glass Memorial Pregame Posting Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah... but we're acknowledging it's horrible but still a perplexed why the team wouldn't at least consistently play a guy who is clearly above the quality of most of the rest. Sure... it only makes a small difference. But why would you not exploit the best lineup possible?

I mean... unless you are this team's coach, obviously.

I can only refer to inconsistency beyond faceoffs.

So we shouldn't try to play slightly better players? So I guess Megna shouldn't play over Pyatt because he won't make the bottom 6 that much better on his own. I mean come on, that's ridiculous.

No. Ridiculous is having to settle for any of them as a supposed contender for the basis of challenging for a cup with said players, and they won't with said players.

So there in lies their challenge and make us/me look like a fool.

Will they take that challenge? What else do they have to lose? Ah...just another season/playoffs of their best players primes.

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
How many times can you say Vitale did this this season?

#Cherrypicking

Alright. How many games have Glass or Adams done that this season? And how many more games have they played? But really, why should they hustle and work their ***** off whenever they know they aren't going to get benched when players like Megna and Vitale blatantly outplay them?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Fourth liners are inconsistent at most things. That's why they are fourth liners.

Look... again... I'm not even a Vitale fanboy. But he's clearly a superior player in a fourth line role than more or less any other option when comparing other role players currently on the roster and in the system. It's damning with faint praise, given... but it's still a perplexing decision.

That's all we're really saying. In the end... there are about half a dozen more pressing issues throughout the lineup. But it's yet another example of making what should be super-easy decisions (especially given this team's forward depth) unnecessarily difficult.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
And you feel satisfied with that?

For me, Vitale would have to be lightning in a bottle 90% of the time he's on the ice for me to say wow...there's noway we could let this guy walk. He hasn't done it for me. Stats and that be damned if I don't see him ridden off the puck and lose the puck in the offensive zone just as much. Yes. there are times he brings that spark, but that seems forced from being sat more often than not. He's not all that consistent other than faceoffs. This is very much the old Toronto ****ck, bad player doing well on a bad team. Transfers into bad player playing good on a bad bottom six.

I'm just not gonna be sold on him anymore, and not just him. When I said any bottom six I meant any, and that includes, Sutter. They're all replaceable.

I'm not saying he's a "must have" but he's definitely a guy that would be good on any 4th line, as I said.

But as far as the Pens go, there's no reason Vitale should be sitting over Adams or Pyatt.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Fourth liners are inconsistent at most things. That's why they are fourth liners.

Look... again... I'm not even a Vitale fanboy. But he's clearly a superior player in a fourth line role than more or less any other option when comparing other role players currently on the roster and in the system. It's damning with faint praise, given... but it's still a perplexing decision.

That's all we're really saying. In the end... there are about half a dozen more pressing issues throughout the lineup. But it's yet another example of making what should be super-easy decisions (especially given this team's forward depth) unnecessarily difficult.

This is where I think the issue gets swept under the rug with "will 4th liners make the difference in the outcome of a game anyway" arguments. It's not just that Bylsma puts Adams in over Vitale. It's that he puts Adams out there with Crosby or on the ice late in games to protect leads or even to come back from al deficits. It's not just a "boo hoo which 'not good' 4th line player is Bylsma picking?" The 4th liner he IS picking he treats and uses as if he was an important piece of the team.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
So we should buyout MAF after this season because his performance is basically being equalled by a rookie, league min goalie? (pls note I am all for this with the current UFA goalie market).

The UFA market isn't exactly strong, once again. With Fasth being traded to Edmonton, Hiller is all but guaranteed to be re-signed. That leaves Miller & Halak, assuming they don't re-sign with their new teams.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Of course, the UFA market for goaltenders is never really that strong. That's why it's so important to draft & develop. But the point is moot because we all know the Pens aren't going to buy out Fleury.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ya know a great followup would have been:

"what lessons are you hoping you and the team learned?"

I mean, what does he think went wrong?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I think most people who don't watch this team often but are still "fans" believe this sort of thing. I was talking to my brother who is 15 and he was trying to tell me that Glass/Adams/Orpik were all great players, and that they were all needed. I told him (pre-deadline) that we should try and trade Orpik for some depth up front, he was floored. When I told him Dupes should be on the third line, he went ballistic and couldn't understand. Dan is exactly like these people. It's like he's not even coaching, he just happens to catch the odd game once in awhile. I just don't get it.

I had a friend acting all macho and tough yesterday, telling me he thinks Adams is our best penalty killer. All I had to do is show him this video:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No. Ridiculous is having to settle for any of them as a supposed contender for the basis of challenging for a cup with said players, and they won't with said players.

So there in lies their challenge and make us/me look like a fool.

Will they take that challenge? What else do they have to lose? Ah...just another season/playoffs of their best players primes.

Well now you are changing the argument. We all know and have complained forever about how bad they suck. That in no way excuses playing worse players than the ones available to them.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ya know a great followup would have been:

"what lessons are you hoping you and the team learned?"

I mean, what does he think went wrong?

A typical Pens PR machine media follow up would be:

"Given that you have the most man games lost this year and have major injuries at key positions, do you read much into 2 losses like that?"

Built in excuse in the question. Then Bylsma says "we don't use injuries as an excuse" and they write an article praising Bylsma for not using injuries as an excuse.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is Adams really on the third line tonight? I can't say I'm surprised at that, but I should be stupefied.

It's been many years since I've been as aggravated with this team as I am right now. Possibly never.

Even when they'd quit on Therrien, even when the Edzo teams sucked balls, even when Johnston didn't have practices half the time, I don't think I ever saw this team Ouroboros themselves quite like this.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Alright. How many games have Glass or Adams done that this season? And how many more games have they played? But really, why should they hustle and work their ***** off whenever they know they aren't going to get benched when players like Megna and Vitale blatantly outplay them?

Near none, just like Vitale. I said cherrypicking because there are not many you can come up with. Just because Vitale does it a minuscule better doesn't equate he's this far and better player this team would fail because he's not dawning us his presence on the 4th line over even worse players.

Cherrypick away, though. How did the final result end up? Huh...huh?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Near none, just like Vitale. I said cherrypicking because there are not many you can come up with. Just because Vitale does it a minuscule better doesn't equate he's this far and better player this team would fail because he's not dawning us his presence on the 4th line over even worse players.

Let's move on. You don't think Vitale makes much of a difference. We get it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

If your point is that Vitale gets way too much credit on this board for hustle and, uh, hustle, I agree. If your point is that the likes of Adams are adequate, I just can't comprehend the idea.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is where I think the issue gets swept under the rug with "will 4th liners make the difference in the outcome of a game anyway" arguments. It's not just that Bylsma puts Adams in over Vitale. It's that he puts Adams out there with Crosby or on the ice late in games to protect leads or even to come back from al deficits. It's not just a "boo hoo which 'not good' 4th line player is Bylsma picking?" The 4th liner he IS picking he treats and uses as if he was an important piece of the team.

Believe me... you're preaching to the choir, here. I didn't mean to imply that the fourth line is unimportant. It very much is... particularly in the crunch. A good, well-constructed fourth line can be a team's secret weapon.

Further... I don't need much convincing that his usage of Glass and especially Adams when it comes to bumping them up the line in crucial situations is utterly asinine. But that seems to be a rather hopeless situation that taxes my already addled brain too harshly to think overly much about.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
What do people expect from a 4th liner? He's fast, he hits everything he sees, he's tenacious on the forecheck, he's not entirely useless with the puck on his stick, he can play a mean game, he can PK, he's phenomenal at faceoffs. What more does a guy have to do in order to be considered serviceable, if not a great 4th line player?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What do people expect from a 4th liner? He's fast, he hits everything he sees, he's tenacious on the forecheck, he's not entirely useless with the puck on his stick, he can play a mean game, he can PK, he's phenomenal at faceoffs. What more does a guy have to do in order to be considered serviceable, if not a great 4th line player?

Be a veteran.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Say cherrypick all you want. But when he factors in 2 of the last 3 Penguin's goals that they scored last two game. Why bench him?

How about keeping the players that are getting you results in the lineup for once? Especially when they can provide everything else and more these deadweight players like Pyatt, Glass, and Adams bring.

If he stops producing, bench him then.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If your point is that Vitale gets way too much credit on this board for hustle and, uh, hustle, I agree. If your point is that the likes of Adams are adequate, I just can't comprehend the idea.

Very much the former vs latter. My stance isn't that those players are better than, Vitale. My stance is the bottom six isn't all that much better with him.

Say cherrypick all you want. But when he factors in 2 of the last 3 Penguin's goals that they scored last two game. Why bench him?

How about keeping the players that are getting you results in the lineup for once? Especially when they can provide everything else and more these deadweight players like Pyatt, Glass, and Adams bring.

If he stops producing, bench him then.

Why can't he do what he did more consistently? It's not about just the points, but since when has the top six worked in conscience with the bottom six?

You get a surging spark from players and call it like that's going to be the norm, or should I say you expect it to be the norm. Yes, you give those guys another go at it, but I don't think that will become the norm. Glass although he's been good this season still falls into this line of thinking as well. Those players as far as I've seen do get benched. Why keep players in the lineup you'll end up benching? A vicious cycle of why why why?

They all suck, that's why.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Your argument is that Vitale has as much of an impact on games as Adams, Glass or Pyatt, which is to say next to nothing, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad