Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One Part II Release date Dec 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
The 30 minutes of R2-D2 and C3PO wandering around and bumbling about on Tattooine do nothing for the film.
It did for me. These are among my favorite moments of the OT. As a kid, I watched these scenes starry-eyed, as they seemed completely other-worldly. By the time we're introduced to Luke some twenty minutes into the film, as he runs from the sand crawler to Aunt Beru (accompanied by Williams' Force theme), I'm sold on the universe.

Moisture farming? Give me more!

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
That's why it will never withstand the test of time, nor will any corporate focus grouped ADD made Disney product. You need to slow down, revel in the moment, the imagery, the dialogue. You need to make smart choices.

This scene wouldn't make it into a modern Disney Star Wars:

Yet it's so crucial for ANH.

TFA is so overactive and yet it covers so little narrative ground. Compare the plots and the players between the two. Han's character is established in almost one scene. Same for Obi Wan. Luke isn't perfect and has to go through a progression. ANH covers a lot of ground, even though by modern standards it "drags." Compare it to TFA, which barely explains anything, and is constantly relying on referencing things they hope the audience has already seen. That's an incredibly dumb recipe to use and it means the movie cannot stand up on its own.

Kylo Ren comes off as feeling the 'best' part of TFA because his character gets the best writing. Rey and Finn are well acted but their motivations are wooden.

TFA is a well produced popcorn flick but that's not what Star Wars movies should aspire to, because that's not what the OT is. Rogue One has more room to maneuver so I'm curious to see how it comes out, especially with the reshoots.

Meh it will be a classic. You tell that to my kids who still watch TFA every other week and know Finn by his storm trooper number. Kids loved this film and it will be a classic for them like the old ones were for us

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Kids liked the PT. Does that make them good movies when looking at them critically?

That's a cop-out. How many people who were kids during the PT years and grew up still look at those movies with the same nostalgia that others did with the OT? I grew up in the 90s falling in love with the OT, and it still holds up as a great series to me.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Always makes me chuckle how no one noticed Han Solo ended up capturing majestic creatures from their natural habitat, stuck them in cages and sold them to private zoos for big profit.

JA

I think I'm going to throw up. I couldn't disagree more.

A great movie is great because of the impression it's capable of leaving on you, and that remains the same when approached from any era or context-- you don't need to put yourself in a certain era/context to appreciate them and things aren't merely great for the time that they were made in-- great movies transcend the superficial fashion/constraints that are common for their time, and movies that ACTUALLY become dated and require that context were probably never truly that great to begin with, IMO-- principles that are lasting work because they will always work, because it makes reasonable sense why it would work, not because they're simply fashionable for their time. Inability to appreciate movies that function in a context different from the one that's common to our own era is simply ignorance, superficiality, and narrow-mindedness-- something that we're capable of, we should, and is worth overcoming-- not anything that speaks to the actual potential of something.
A New Hope falls into this category -- great and innovative for its time, but not so great now.
It did for me. These are among my favorite moments of the OT. As a kid, I watched these scenes starry-eyed, as they seemed completely other-worldly. By the time we're introduced to Luke some twenty minutes into the film, as he runs from the sand crawler to Aunt Beru (accompanied by Williams' Force theme), I'm sold on the universe.

Moisture farming? Give me more!
That's the problem and the point I am trying to drive home. What once seemed "otherworldly" is now pedestrian. The entire appeal of the first film was its ability to take contemporary audiences to places they had never been before and offer them an experience unlike anything else. Audiences had the patience for what they saw on screen because it is what they were conditioned to see; it was also more exciting than other films of its era. There was no depth to the appeal beyond the fact that it was an unprecedented experience. It was a one-of-a-kind spectacle.

That appeal only exists for the generation that experienced it when it was state-of-the-art; the memory of that experience creates a powerful, unique bond between the original audience and the film in question.

That film will not evoke the same reaction out of anyone who has already been exposed to other, more exhilarating cinematic experiences. A New Hope does not leave the same impression on people who have been exposed to spectacles far greater. It is not the same wondrous experience to those growing up in this era with access to an entire catalog of acclaimed post-1977 spectacles that push the limits of imagination. We now see on-screen what we could have only dreamed of forty years ago; A New Hope no longer excels in the area that made it famous. Most people's jaws dropped when they saw The Jungle Book (2016) earlier this year. Hollywood's capabilities have far exceeded those of mid-1970s George Lucas.

I'll try to draw an analogous situation for those who grew up after the 70s. The film Silent Running (1972) is often cited as one of the greatest science-fiction films of all time; it inspired many people -- the reason is that it was "ahead of its time." The film is thin on plot, but amazed audiences at the time with its effects. Ask anyone who watched it as a child, and they will tell you that it is a classic.

If you have never seen it before and grew up in an era with more advanced film-making techniques, Silent Running might not impress you at all. Viewers who watched this film as children cried. It is beloved by those who watched it in the 1970s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2011/11/silent_running.html
Silent Running
Mark Kermode | 12:15 UK time, Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Silent Running, one of my all time favourite movies and one of the greatest sci fi films ever, is about to be released on BluRay disc. It was made by Douglas Trumbull as a reaction to Kubrick's much more celebrated 2001 and for my money it's the superior film.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/silent-running-1971
Silent Running
Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction
Rated G
89 minutes
| Roger Ebert
January 1, 1971 |

In the not very distant future, man has at last finished with Earth. The mountains are leveled and the valleys filled in, and there are no growing plants left to mess things up. Everything is nice and sterile, and man's global housekeeping has achieved total defoliation. Out around the rings of Saturn, a few lonely spaceships keep their vigil. They're interplanetary greenhouses, pointed always toward the sun. Inside their acres and acres of forests, protected by geodesic domes that gather the sunlight, the surviving plants and small animals of Earth grow. There are squirrels and rabbits and moonlit nights when the wind does actually seem to breathe in the trees: a ghostly reminder of the dead forests of Earth.

One day the word comes from Earth: Destroy the greenhouses and return. Lowell cannot bring himself to do this, and so he destroys his fellow crew members instead. Then he hijacks his spaceship and directs it out into the deep galactic night. All of this is told with simplicity and a quiet ecological concern, and it makes "Silent Running" a movie out of the ordinary -- especially if you like science fiction.

The director is Douglas Trumbull, a Canadian who designed many of the special effects for Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey." Trumbull also did the computers and the underground laboratory for "The Andromeda Strain," and is one of the best science-fiction special-effects men. "Silent Running," which has deep space effects every bit the equal of those in "2001," also introduces him as an intelligent, if not sensational, director.

http://variety.com/1971/film/reviews/silent-running-1200422718/
Review: ‘Silent Running’
Variety Staff
Follow Us on Twitter @Variety
December 31, 1971 | 11:00PM PT

Silent Running depends on the excellent special effects of debuting director Douglas Trumbull and his team and on the appreciation of a literate but broadly entertaining script. Those being the highlights, they are virtually wiped out by the crucial miscasting of Bruce Dern. As a result, the production lacks much dramatic credibility and often teeters on the edge of the ludicrous.

Dern and three clod companions man a space vehicle in a fleet of airships containing vegetation in case the earth again can support that type of life. But the program is scuttled, all hands are recalled, but Dern decides to mutiny. In the process, he kills his three shipmates and goes deeper into space. His only companions are two small robots, whose life-like qualities are rather touching.
A modern review:

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/silent-running/review/117756
Silent Running 1972 | Movie

This was a directorial debut for Trumbull, who had previously worked with Stanley Kubrick on the special effects for 2001: A SPACE ODDYSSEY. Like that film, SILENT RUNNING concentrates heavily on special effects, resulting in some stunning imagery. Dern gives an engaging, against-type performance, though the script is stretched out very thin to support a feature-length film. The unusual score is by Peter Schickele, best known for his classical music parodies written under the pseudonym P.D.Q. Bach. Despite the presence of some very dated Joan Baez songs on the soundtrack, SILENT RUNNING has built up a deserved cult status over the years.

Today, you have people stating that Silent Running is a bad film. It has a cult following, but not to the same degree that it would be protected against criticism.

Here is an eight-page discussion in which the consensus appears to be that Silent Running is extremely dated.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/board/nest/123144761?ref_=tt_bd_2

Our very own Osprey mentioned Silent Running in his The Wicker Man (2006) review:
The Wicker Man (2006) - 2/10 or 8/10, depending on how you look at it

Why did I wait almost 10 years to watch this? Well, I know the reason: it's a ridiculous remake that spits all over the 1973 classic... but, other than that, it's a masterpiece. I had far more fun watching it than I anticipated. I was tiring myself out from laughing. It's hilarious.

Bad writing and Cage's over-the-top acting are each one thing on their own, but marry them together and the result is marvelous to behold. Whether Cage is rudely barging in everywhere and demanding answers like he runs the island; pointing guns at simple, unarmed people and taking their things (at one point, commanding a school teacher to "step away from the bike!"); repeatedly raising his voice to soft-spoken women before they have any chance to respond; or running through the woods in a bear suit, punching women in the face, you'll be wondering who the real lunatic on the island is and laughing the entire time.

For the longest time, I've considered 1972's Silent Running to be the funniest film not intended to be funny that I've ever seen. This 'Wicker Man' remake might just be the first to equal it. This film deserves to be seen by everyone who considers himself (or herself) a connoisseur of laughing at films.

Sadly, believe it or not, there wasn't enough room for all of the absurd scenes that they filmed, so what might've been the funniest scene didn't make it into the film and had to wait until being included on the DVD to become internet legend...

Kids liked the PT. Does that make them good movies when looking at them critically?

That's a cop-out. How many people who were kids during the PT years and grew up still look at those movies with the same nostalgia that others did with the OT? I grew up in the 90s falling in love with the OT, and it still holds up as a great series to me.
From a contemporary critical perspective, those were not considered to be good movies. They were never good movies, so no sense of attachment could ever have been formed; older audiences who experienced the OT and felt attached to that experience also made sure that younger audiences knew that the PT films were unsatisfactory. Unlike a film that is at one point in time magical and then becomes dated, the PT films were always regarded as poor.

A New Hope was a charming spectacle. Without the spectacle, it's now just a charming film. Some of the moments that were included in the film for the spectacle that they provided, i.e., the 30 minutes of nothingness on Tattooine, are now dated and irritant.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Please, ANH is still a great film.

Sure, maybe they could have condensed Tattooine a little bit (instead of R2 and C3P0 arguing and splitting up they could have gotten captured together), but the rest of it provides additional insight to the characters, the plot, and the Star Wars universe.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A New Hope falls into this category -- great and innovative for its time, but not so great now.
I completely disagree. I was not alive when the original trilogy was released, and I saw them for the first time in 2008 as an adult. BECAUSE they were from a different time and had some campy elements that I was originally dismissive of, there was a period of time in which I found it overrated, but once I got over the initial superficial hesitance and got more in tune with watching movies, I now think the first two are legitimately great movies. I don't think they're masterpieces like some others do, but there is something that feels timeless and perfectly executed about them, at least in terms of presentation, rhythm, and aesthetics (they're not thematically deep in any way). I thought The Force Awakens was fun but completely forgettable and mediocre film-making in every way shape and form, personally. And I'm the type who places zero value on something being good for its time, and only cares if I think it's good now.

Not everyone who appreciates the original Star Wars only did so because they saw it in the context of when it was released or when they were a kid who didn't know any better. They're great movies because they're great movies.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So I have the next few days off and the weather outside is frightful (-30 with windchill) Im gonna binge watch the entire series since I have never seen one. Im being told watching these movies in order of release is not the best way? Which order should I be watching these?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So I have the next few days off and the weather outside is frightful (-30 with windchill) Im gonna binge watch the entire series since I have never seen one. Im being told watching these movies in order of release is not the best way? Which order should I be watching these?
Errr.... you should be watching them in the order that they were released, not in the order than they're numbered. Who watches a trilogy completely out of order?

IV, V, VI, [I, II, III-- actually, just skip these three entirely], VII

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012

Look up the "machete order". Other wise just watch them in the order they came out. IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Please, ANH is still a great film.

Sure, maybe they could have condensed Tattooine a little bit (instead of R2 and C3P0 arguing and splitting up they could have gotten captured together), but the rest of it provides additional insight to the characters, the plot, and the Star Wars universe.
I actually think that the first half of the movie is what holds up best, more-so than the stuff that happens after they're off into space. The way that Vader's set up, the image of R2D2 and CP30 lost in that desert, the mystery and foreshadowing of Obi-Wan/Luke's father, the introduction of what the force is, and the introduction of Han Solo are the things that I think are most flawlessly executed about the movie.

Empire Strikes Back had the better second half.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Look up the "machete order". Other wise just watch them in the order they came out. IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII

Machete order even suggests you can skip Ep I entirely and be no worse for wear. There's little in that movie that isn't re-introduced elsewhere or insignificant enough to not matter. The only real loss is Darth Maul, but it's a small price to pay to sacrifice the like 15-20 minutes of real screentime he gets to avoid all the rest of that movie's problems.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's worth it to skip II and III as well because they're complete abominations that take away from the mythology anyways, IMO. You don't need every little thing explained.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I highly recommend fan edits for the prequels (and even the OT) that cut out weak acting and cartoony characters as well as unnecessary alterations.

Sort of machete order: 'despecialized' IV, V, Rise of the Empire fan edit, 'despecialized' VI, VII

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah as much as I liked TFA, A New Hope is still a terrific movie.

Empire
Hope
Awakens
Jedi
Revenge
Clones
Menace

Remains my ranking

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Empire
Hope
Awakens
Jedi
Revenge
Clones
Menace

Remains my ranking
I can get onboard with these.

I think the "it's become dated and doesn't hold up" argument works for Return of the Jedi, but not the two before it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Old standards aren't better by default. Cinema has evolved.

Most movies that are critically praised in the past twenty years or so have relatively high shot lengths compared to their peers. Cuarón, Villeneuve, Iñárritu, Tarantino immediately come to mind. They use modern techniques, sure, but they haven't forgotten the basics of good storytelling.

Popcorn cinema has devolved and that's the trap TFA fell into. I am hoping that had a lot to do with the choice of director and not the overall guiding hand of Disney.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Empire
Hope
Awakens
Jedi
Revenge
Clones
Menace

Remains my ranking

Clones more than Menace though? I mean sure it's not kid Anakin anymore which is a huge bonus, but "I don't like sand."

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

You should watch episodes 4, 5, and 6.

There are no other Star Wars movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad