Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi is happening

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Who cares how Boba Fett's life turned out..

This last line here has me wanting a black and white drama where a washed up Boba Fett just posts up at the corner of the Mos Eisley Cantina, drunkenly mumbling to himself and lamenting "What could have been ..."

Elia Kazan's Boba Fett

Of course that probably doesn't jibe with the direction his story is going. :D

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
There is a Star Wars movie industry, book & fan fiction industry, tv, and vintage toy industry (aimed at infantilised Gen Xers). All predicated on a desperate nostalgia. Even if the recent books are good, it never delivers on the original childhood rush the first trilogy delivered. It's still leaves the 40-something fans unsatisfied, so they will always be critical, but still on the hook for the next disappointment.

giphy.gif

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
This last line here has me wanting a black and white drama where a washed up Boba Fett just posts up at the corner of the Mos Eisley Cantina, drunkenly mumbling to himself and lamenting "What could have been ..."

Elia Kazan's Boba Fett

Of course that probably doesn't jibe with the direction his story is going. :D

Boba Kai, coming to Netflix

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I hope we get a good Vader/Emperor storyline. there is so much that can be done in a series like this with a Solo & Rouge One Crossover where they use the cut footage from a new hope that shows the battle/chase of the Star Destroyer chasing Princess Leia's ship from the surface of Tatooine, and the final shot is the back of Han and Chewie walking into the Cantina.....cue credits, start A New Hope.
Your welcome.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm a parent, and please believe modern teenagers & children don't care about this sh*t, you never see Finn, Jar-Jar shirts, etc. It's almost exclusively adults reliving their early 80s Darth Vader obsessions, while Western civilization crumbles around them.

My niece is a pretty big Star Wars fan.

She's got posters, Legos, the films, the t-shirts, the whole deal. She's now 13.

Ironically, it's "Mary Sue" characters like Rey who have really gotten her into the entire franchise.

I also think you're underestimating the impact of Baby Yoda who is pretty much universally popular with all age groups.

Babe Ruth said:
Fair enough.. but I don't think that refutes my point.. I feel like it kinda reinforces it. There is a Star Wars movie industry, book & fan fiction industry, tv, and vintage toy industry (aimed at infantilised Gen Xers). All predicated on a desperate nostalgia. Even if the recent books are good, it never delivers on the original childhood rush the first trilogy delivered. It's still leaves the 40-something fans unsatisfied, so they will always be critical, but still on the hook for the next disappointment.

Where I do agree with you is that she holds no special reverence whatsoever for the original trilogy which is sort of refreshing in a way because it's become canonized to absurd levels.

She's basically unencumbered by nostalgia so I find her ranking of the films fascinating.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do think you have to acknowledge your own biases when it comes to childhood nostalgia content, so I agree with the premise raised in this thread that the recent focus on OT content is targeted at the middle-aged.

I see a similar phenomenon when it comes to twenty/thirty-somethings and Harry Potter.

I read the books as an adult, watched the films, seemed entertaining enough. But to people who grew up with Harry Potter in their childhood, it's a whole different experience for them.

They watch Harry Potter marathons every year at Christmas as part of an annual tradition, they dress their kids up in robes and assign them to Houses.

I'm a bit bemused by it, but I totally understand it as there's always going to be something that applies to virtually every generation.

I play on a co-ed soccer team with a very wide age range, and when Alan Rickman died, the young folks couldn't believe that "Professor Snape" was gone, when he'll always be Hans Gruber or maybe the Sheriff of Nottingham to me.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I do think you have to acknowledge your own biases when it comes to childhood nostalgia content, so I agree with the premise raised in this thread that the recent focus on OT content is targeted at the middle-aged.

I see a similar phenomenon when it comes to twenty/thirty-somethings and Harry Potter.

I read the books as an adult, watched the films, seemed entertaining enough. But to people who grew up with Harry Potter in their childhood, it's a whole different experience for them.

They watch Harry Potter marathons every year at Christmas as part of an annual tradition, they dress their kids up in robes and assign them to Houses.

I'm a bit bemused by it, but I totally understand it as there's always going to be something that applies to virtually every generation.

I play on a co-ed soccer team with a very wide age range, and when Alan Rickman died, the young folks couldn't believe that "Professor Snape" was gone, when he'll always be Hans Gruber or maybe the Sheriff of Nottingham to me.

This translated means we are getting old.

My bro actually won tickets to see Robin Hood Prince of Thieves when I was a kid... back in the day when you called into a radio show and were stoked to win things like that.

My bro also won tickets to see UHF (you are a true 80s child if you know about this one).

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You do not see the great ROI? You clearly haven't looked at the numbers.

Sure, you can dislike the movies, but Disney got a nice ROI on Star Wars and that ROI will only get bigger and bigger.

I'm not the one judging by that measure but I'm not so sure about that, considering they spent 4 billion and have only gotten 5 movies out. It's a situation where sure they made money (as these things go 4B for Star Wars seems kind of cheap), but it's not so much a case of 'did they make money' as it is 'did they meet expectations'. Just guessing here but when investors invest $4B, expect to make back $8B in 10 years, but it only reached $5B, it seems ridiculous from the perspective of us lowly peasants but they tend not to be happy about it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I'm not the one judging by that measure but I'm not so sure about that, considering they spent 4 billion and have only gotten 5 movies out. It's a situation where sure they made money (as these things go 4B for Star Wars seems kind of cheap), but it's not so much a case of 'did they make money' as it is 'did they meet expectations'. Just guessing here but when investors invest $4B, expect to make back $8B in 10 years, but it only reached $5B, it seems ridiculous from the perspective of us lowly peasants but they tend not to be happy about it.

Oh, your point is very valid.

That was not at all what the post I was responding to was implying though :)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Are these numbers taking into account all the merchandising sales?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Are these numbers taking into account all the merchandising sales?

See: "Just guessing".

And I'm sure the same applies with merchandising sales, obviously they made money but I would be highly surprised if they met their expected projections and/or were anywhere close to the prior trilogies

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Could be good. McGregor was definitely one of the few bright spots for the prequels.

Would love a X-Wing Rogue Squadron series or something. Top Gun style.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Could be good. MacGregor was definitely one of the few bright spots for the prequels.

Would love a X-Wing Rogue Squadron series or something. Top Gun style.

Well they were supposed to be doing the Rogue Squadron movie, but it's been delayed. The official story is Patty Jenkins' schedule is too busy, but there was a report a few months ago it was because of "creative differences" so who the hell knows.

It's still kind of amazing to me how the movie side can't get their shit together while the TV side just keeps rolling out the best Star Wars in years. It's almost like putting somebody in charge that knows and understands how to make Star Wars works. Who'd have guessed.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Well they were supposed to be doing the Rogue Squadron movie, but it's been delayed. The official story is Patty Jenkins' schedule is too busy, but there was a report a few months ago it was because of "creative differences" so who the hell knows.

It's still kind of amazing to me how the movie side can't get their shit together while the TV side just keeps rolling out the best Star Wars in years. It's almost like putting somebody in charge that knows and understands how to make Star Wars works. Who'd have guessed.

Filoni is to SW, as Ronald D Moore was to Star Trek.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Par for the course under Kennedy.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It certainly narrows it down though, if true. May 4th happens to fall on a Wednesday this year.

Robert Meyer Burnett suggested on today's The John Campea show that if Disney+ releases two episodes of Moon Knight on March 30th, May the 4th could happen. On the other hand, they also brought up that Star Wars celebration is happening at the end of May.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad