Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi is happening

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
There have only been 2 (in the movies) :laugh:

I guess Starkiller base? Yeah. I am one of those who hated TFA because it was basically an episode 4 reboot. Too hard not to ignore that. But it wasn't Starkiller base that did it in for me. It was within the first 15 mins of the movie when BB-8 gets something super important he must now run from the Empir... I mean First Order.

I love Kylo Ren's character though. Best thing to come out of that movie. The rest of it was just appeasing the fans and getting people who weren't so into Star Wars but saw it back in the day excited about it again because they basically just watched Episode IV again.
You make it sound like a bad thing. They had to do a lot of damage repair, i had no problem sticking with a tried and true formula to relaunch the galaxy

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Because George Lucas really took the story to amazing new heights with the prequels

:rolleyes:

We have no idea what this story is going to be. Disney has produced two very good films so far in this franchise, Ive no reason to believe they can't continue to do it.

They've produced two mediocre, safe, and commercially viable films so far.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Please no. Just stop after Episode IX. There are already far too many Star Wars films.

Couldn't agree more. Instead of hanging out in the desert and keeping an eye on Luke for 20 years, now suddenly his life will be full of far-ranging adventures that sprung from nowhere.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I understand the obvious reasoning behind making a Star Wars movie every year ($$), but as a fan (not a total fanboy, but someone that enjoys the movies), I have to say that these movies would be way more special if they were making one every ~3 years instead of pumping out every idea imaginable.

This Obi-Wan movie is one that I am actually interested in, and I am looking forward to EP 8 and 9. The Han Solo thing though? Really not interested at this point.

We're at a point now it seems where, when a series/franchise is revived or created, it is just spun into as much profit as possible. There's never that happy medium of giving us content, but not over-doing it to the point where it is too much. Star Wars and MCU (DISNEY) are both prime examples of this. I would really enjoy them so much more if they took their time to make a few, really great movies instead of a lot of average/mediocre ones.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Star Wars is pretty much dead artistically speaking. The best any of these new movies can ever be is mediocre.

This is a film franchise that hasn't made a good movie since the 1980's.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Couldn't agree more. Instead of hanging out in the desert and keeping an eye on Luke for 20 years, now suddenly his life will be full of far-ranging adventures that sprung from nowhere.

Who says it has to be a far-ranging adventure? I think it's a great idea to get more into Obi-Wan's head during that time period. A former hero of the Republic in exile, dealing with the destruction of basically his entire existence, trying to leave behind his old life and become the protector of the child of his fallen apprentice. What, do you think he just sat on his ass and meditated for 20 years?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They've produced two mediocre, safe, and commercially viable films so far.

I'll take mediocre and safe (though in my opinion only Rogue One was mediocre, TFA was derivative sure but I still enjoy it) over ambitious and disastrous.

That being said, I think ambition within Star Wars is not a bad thing, they just should have never let George Lucas direct the prequels. I think we will likely see ambition out of Rian Johnson. Based on interviews from the cast and others familiar with the project The Last Jedi is supposed to be the most different (some have described it as strangely so) Star Wars to date. We'll see if that results in a strong product or not.

As for Han Solo, I really hope Ron Howard can do something fresh but still watchable. From the sound of things the last directorial vision was a nightmare.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm excited about this, but I would like to see them branch off from the saga characters as they move forward. We don't need a Boba Fett or Yoda movie after the Obi-Wan movie. Try a different time period like the Old Republic, or something non saga related (even Rogue One ties directly in with ANH).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm excited about this, but I would like to see them branch off from the saga characters as they move forward. We don't need a Boba Fett or Yoda movie after the Obi-Wan movie. Try a different time period like the Old Republic, or something non saga related (even Rogue One ties directly in with ANH).

Disney has to know there is some interest in a KOTOR-ish movie. Darth Revan almost made it into Star Wars Clone Wars. He was THIS close to being canonized but Lucas backed off.

And even if the casual majority of Star Wars fans don't know about Revan and KOTOR, if done right it can grab their attention.

Sticking to to main saga as they have is the safe play for sure. And you can't really fault Disney for it. Yeah they are the biggest powerhouse studio in cinema but the investment of billions of dollars for a franchise isn't an easy thing to just sneeze at. They'll make their return on investment focusing on the familiar and I'm sure from there they will branch off into unexplored and fresh areas of the Star Wars universe. I don't think even Disney can stay in the familiar for too long. I mean look what they did with Marvel. They opened with the most popular Marvel superheroes (save for Spider-Man since they didn't have the rights) then progressed into comparatively niche heroes like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther coming up. I mean I had no idea what the hell the Guardians of the Galaxy was before...and really after the movie came out. There's still EU source material out there that Disney could easily draw from or purchase the rights to. We saw Grand Admiral Thrawn get canonized. There's still lots of potential. I think they just want to make a profit on their Lucasfilm/Lucasarts acquisition

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Rogue One was dreadful and a slap in the face to SW fans

Rogue One was awesome.

Sincerely,
A Star Wars fan

There's still EU source material out there that Disney could easily draw from or purchase the rights to. We saw Grand Admiral Thrawn get canonized. There's still lots of potential. I think they just want to make a profit on their Lucasfilm/Lucasarts acquisition

Saint Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Reactions: Boris Zubov

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Please no. Just stop after Episode IX. There are already far too many Star Wars films.

Agree to an extent. The last thing I want them to do is flood the market with SW movies turning them into essentially marvel/dc or something like that.

That said, out of all the anthology film ideas tossed around, I'm the most excited to see McGregor as Obiwan again.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ewan McgGregor or bust for this Obi-Wan movie. He was one of the few bright spots in the prequel trilogy, and needs to return in the role for it to work well I think. I assume this movie is going to be a giant retcon where instead of quietly hiding out on Tatooine waiting for Luke to grow up, he goes on some huge adventure here.

Meanwhile I just thought it was simply okay. Decent popcorn movie.

There...we covered all bases. :laugh:

Agreed, it's a decent popcorn movie that was mildly entertaining while I watched it. Once you apply any critical thinking to it though, it really just makes you facepalm from the sheer stupidity of most of the plot and characters.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I always felt that they could do a great Yojimbo (e.g. Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis) story arc with Kenobi forced to intervene in some form of Hutt vs. Sand People vs. Slaves vs. Imperials type situation.

Playing them off each other in order to try to stabilize the planet and thereby keep Luke safe.

Everything doesn't have to be epic involving tons of CGI and space battles.

I think Kenobi in a "Western" kind of situation would be really cool.

Ewan would be perfect.

Yessss sir. A classic plot line. Obi Wan, older, more mature, trying to stay low key and mind his own business is thrust into a quarrel that pushes him to the brink, than his Jedi side comes out when he's compelled to settle it. Count me in.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I really want a Palpatine movie because frankly whenever I think of Palpatine I think of the hilarious Star Wars Lego jerk Palpatine. Or the complete ahole Palpatine from Robot Chicken instead of the uber evil that he was in the movies.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I'm not sure about that. I love the Obi Wan character but i like McGregor in the role but...i don't know it just feel like Obi story is pretty much complete. We saw him as a padawan in TPM . then as a Knight in the Clone Wars movie and sereis , then as a master in Revenge Of the Sith , Rebels and the OT. We saw his evolution from a padawan to his death. Sure they could have a story set between EP 3 and EP 4 but..i don't know.

I'd much rather have a Yoda movie. So much is mysterious and unexplained about his past and origin. Or Bobba Fett or a movie set in the Old Republic era , maybe the origin of the Jedi and the Sith or something like that. There is so much to explore in the Star Wars universe that an Obi Wan solo movie feel a bit redundant. Same for an Han Solo mive although we haven't seen Han in his youth and how he came to be a smuggler so it's a bit better than an Obi movie imho.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I thought they were doing Boba Fett?

Anyway I'd rather have a Darth Vader movie while James Earl Jones is still able to do it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'll take mediocre and safe (though in my opinion only Rogue One was mediocre, TFA was derivative sure but I still enjoy it) over ambitious and disastrous.

That being said, I think ambition within Star Wars is not a bad thing, they just should have never let George Lucas direct the prequels. I think we will likely see ambition out of Rian Johnson. Based on interviews from the cast and others familiar with the project The Last Jedi is supposed to be the most different (some have described it as strangely so) Star Wars to date. We'll see if that results in a strong product or not.

As for Han Solo, I really hope Ron Howard can do something fresh but still watchable. From the sound of things the last directorial vision was a nightmare.

This never bothered my with TFA but seeing the previews for Last Jedi gives me a chuckle...

- There appears to be a Hoth like battle where the empire attacks a rebel base with AT-AT's, see: the weird red paint ships are speeding towards AT-AT's, clips of attacks and things blowing up in rebel installations (though could be ships)
- The young force adept is off training with the reclusive force master

The locations are different in both cases, but I can see people complaining about these things when it comes out :laugh:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Disney has to know there is some interest in a KOTOR-ish movie. Darth Revan almost made it into Star Wars Clone Wars. He was THIS close to being canonized but Lucas backed off.

And even if the casual majority of Star Wars fans don't know about Revan and KOTOR, if done right it can grab their attention.

Sticking to to main saga as they have is the safe play for sure. And you can't really fault Disney for it. Yeah they are the biggest powerhouse studio in cinema but the investment of billions of dollars for a franchise isn't an easy thing to just sneeze at. They'll make their return on investment focusing on the familiar and I'm sure from there they will branch off into unexplored and fresh areas of the Star Wars universe. I don't think even Disney can stay in the familiar for too long. I mean look what they did with Marvel. They opened with the most popular Marvel superheroes (save for Spider-Man since they didn't have the rights) then progressed into comparatively niche heroes like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther coming up. I mean I had no idea what the hell the Guardians of the Galaxy was before...and really after the movie came out. There's still EU source material out there that Disney could easily draw from or purchase the rights to. We saw Grand Admiral Thrawn get canonized. There's still lots of potential. I think they just want to make a profit on their Lucasfilm/Lucasarts acquisition

KOTOR would be great but so would a Darth Bane trilogy. He is already canon and would tell the important story of the Rule of Two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad