Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Moveibob loved it while a lot of other reviews seem kinda mixed.

I can only assume this means the movie is packed with ham fisted "progressive" moralizing at the expense of plot and character development.
If you are worried about this film being overtly political, it’s not. There are some parts of the movie that do have some subtext however, if you chose to read into that.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Ok, but too long, a lot of filler that could have been cut out. It has too many "endings" which feels a bit anticlimactic.

Btw, went to general admission, more than one hour in advance, worried that I won't find seating. I was the first in, the room ended up being maybe 3/4 full, plenty of good seats available. Go figure.
I felt it is still mimicking the original trilogy, same as TFA did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lancer

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
The most disappointed I've been in a movie in a long time. Just awful. Props to Hamill, Driver and Poe for providing a bit of life to this disaster of a film.

Reactions: Lancer

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
The most disappointed I've been in a movie in a long time. Just awful. Props to Hamill, Driver and Poe for providing a bit of life to this disaster of a film.

Hamill and Driver were great, but I am still not buying into Kylo Ren as an authentic menace. He looks neither powerful nor wise.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Reactions range from better than Empire Strikes Back to a horribly slow, boring and predictable pile of shit worse than the prequel trilogy.

As I said in the other thread, not a big Star Wars fan at all but this is amusing to me.

Star Wars internet is tearing itself apart. When The Last Jedi comes out on 4k, I will watch it and most likely enjoy it like I did with The Force Awakens but it's not entirely surprising that a mediocre-at-best film for such a massive franchise is going to get this type of divided opinion.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The problem with Star Wars is the fact it has a ****huge following. It makes reading both the super positive reviews and negative ones hard. The positive ones could be just overloaded nostalgia lovers, while the bad ones could be nostalgia lovers, but not the way they want it.

Guess i'll see for myself monday night.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really enjoyed it. I want to give it a rewatch before I decide if I loved it. In many ways it was stronger than R1 and TFA but there were certain parts I didn't totally dig.

in particular

-Rey meeting and trying to convince Luke to help in the very beginning felt off. It developed better over time but something was just off about it.

-Mary Poppins Leia. I think of all the things that might be used to knock this film its Leia using the force and using it do something we've never seen before.

Most reviews in a non spoiler way said that Finn and Rose's second act arc was the low point of the movie but I honestly didn't mind it. I think some of the messages it meant to impart fell a little flat but I didn't mind.

Rey and Kylo against the Praetorian Guards could've easily been lame but I thought it was fantastic action.

I spent a lot of time trying to theorize Rey's parentage. I think them not being anyone special is the best thing for Rey's character. She's not held to being some hero of destiny because of being someone's child. She gets to write her own legend. I like the move by Rian Johnson. For all the complaints that Rey was bland and uninteresting I think the emphasis on her parentage having the result it did is great.

It is pretty annoying that Snoke didn't get more backstory. Jj and Rian failed by commitee on that one.

Also this is kind of random, but it's amusing that they put Rey and Poe's first meeting from the novelization at the end of this one. There brief meeting was verbatim what it was in the TFA novelization. I mean at the end of TFA Rey and Poe were in the same room when R2 revealed the rest of the map. It's a little odd that they didn't speak then.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's just semantics. In this sense Vader was not an antagonist either. However the Darth Vader character projected power and menace, while Kylo just needs a good shrink.
Even going to the puppet masters, Palpatine was complex and a well developed character, while Snoke was cartoonish, introduced without any backstory, and dissipated as quickly.
For all the whining and complaining that TFA is derivative, it's both amusing and annoying that having an unconventional villain like Kylo is such a bother to people.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
First of all, the Sith does not exist in this trilogy.

Second, that doesn't mean he was as developed as Anakin/Darth Vader was at that point. Not every "beginner Sith" starts at the same level. Anakin was labeled as the strongest Jedi ever, so to compare Ren to him is ridiculous to begin with.
But Rey who (before TLJ) has no training, only heard stories about the force suddenly can fight someone who has been trained in the dark-side of the force and hold her own isn't ridiculous?

Kylo is a Sith. It's just a label. Someone who is strong and follows the dark side of the force. That whole "theres only ever 2 sith" and crap is just legend and the old ways. Saying he is Sith is just saying he is strong with the dark side. Vader, Maul, Sidious, Dooku.... all Sith. Snoke and Kylo as well. Doesn't matter if they say it or not.

Kind of like, whether people like it or not, Medichlorians are part of the canon and just because they don't talk about them in every movie doesn't mean that shows who is force sensitive or not.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Basically how I am finding it... People new to star wars are loving it.

People who grew up with Star Wars are not.

No, I am not saying that's the be-all end-all. I am sure there are people who grew up with it that loved it. Just speaking generally here.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Anakin? He failed at almost everything he did, he is the opposite of a Mary Sue
At the time of writing Rey had one movie. So it's not fair to base an entire Arc. I was basing off episode 1 for Anakin and episode 4 for Luke. If you truly try and tell me Anakin was not one in PM then there's no way Rey is one.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Saw the movie last night. Really enjoyed it. Wasn't my favourite but not my least favourite. Gonna rewatch it again in a few days without rose tinted glasses and will see if anything changes and I'll decide if it's better than Jedi or not then.

1. A New Hope - 10/10
2. Rogue One - 9.5/10
3. The Force Awakens - 9.49/10
4. Empire Strikes Back - 9/10
5. The Last Jedi - 8/10
6. Return Of The Jedi - 8/10
7. Revenge Of The Sith - 6/10
8. The Clone Wars - 5/10
9. The Phantom Menace - 3.01/10
10. Attack Of The Clones - 3/10

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Saw the movie last night. Really enjoyed it. Wasn't my favourite but not my least favourite. Gonna rewatch it again in a few days without rose tinted glasses and will see if anything changes and I'll decide if it's better than Jedi or not then.

1. ANH - 10/10
2. RO - 9.5/10
3. TFA - 9.49/10
4. ESB - 9/10
5. TLJ - 8/10
6. ROTJ - 8/10
7. ROTS - 6/10
8. TCW - 5/10
9. APM - 3.01/10
10. AOTC - 3/10

I'm drawing a blank for this, The Clone Wars (TV Show)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad