Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The film critic industry has changed a lot in recent years. Mainstream film reviews seem to be less of a critique of a film's storytelling, and have become more of an evaluation of a film's morals and message.

For most reviewers, this film ticked off all the right message boxes, girls kick ass, boys are foolhardy, less white men, and so they give it a glowing review.

Audiences however are not judging movies based on their progressive bond fides, they're still judging them based on their content, and that is why we have such a chasm between "professional" reviewers and general audiences.
Well said. It also seems to be who can use the most CGI in some grand-scale battles as well. Like every scene has to be some epic character revelation or have some serious shock value or be some epic battle. Like you said, movies today are less about story and more about politics and message.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well said. It also seems to be who can use the most CGI in some grand-scale battles as well. Like every scene has to be some epic character revelation or have some serious shock value or be some epic battle. Like you said, movies today are less about story and more about politics and message.

Well when the characters you have created have no depth or backstory then the only way to make a battle scene memorable is to spend lots of money on flashy CGI.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Funny how the most vocal critics seem to be people unable to comprehend a character-driven story.

Plot is overrated.
Okay, a main protagonist = Mary Sue, a side protagonist = a walking gag, a main villain = an emotionally unstable crybaby, a wise old mentor = a murderous whiny old man, the evil bad guy = we know literally nothing about him. Excellent lol.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Okay, a main protagonist = Mary Sue, a side protagonist = a walking gag, a main villain = an emotionally unstable crybaby, a wise old mentor = a murderous whiny old man, the evil bad guy = we know literally nothing about him. Excellent lol.
If you can't appreciate literally the most well-made character in any of the SW movies, I think that's just you...

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
If you can't appreciate literally the most well-made character in any of the SW movies, I think that's just you...
No, I can't enjoy a (literally) wannabe Darth Vader, whose morals are terribly explained. The movie itself pointed out how stupid his mask was.

Reactions: Lancer

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm a pretty casual Star Wars fan but I really liked TFA and R1 and yet I hated this so, take that for what it is.

Granted I did have pretty high expectations going into it; but that is only because reviewers were so unreserved in their praise. My expectations weren't so high because I love Star Wars so much, they were high because I felt assured that this would be at least a decent movie.

I think a lot of fanboys are in serious denial right now. And the progressive media is already in full defence mode painting critics as whiny, entitled fanboys who need to grow up.

This is all very much like The Phantom Menace. People didn't accept that it sucked right away.
I haven't kept up with what recent film critics are like, but man, that stuff can be infuriating. It used to be the other way around, where critics are supposed to be uncompromising and purely about the quality (although I would say there's always been a huge chasm between them, and I liked it that way) and the audiences were more fickle about their agendas/ulterior factors.

Now neither party is really worth listening to, I find. Casual word of mouth comes from people with terrible impatience, have low standards, and are amused by the dumbest things, and critics aren't as authentic as they used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tawnos and Eisen

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a pretty casual Star Wars fan but I really liked TFA and R1 and yet I hated this so, take that for what it is.

Granted I did have pretty high expectations going into it; but that is only because reviewers were so unreserved in their praise. My expectations weren't so high because I love Star Wars so much, they were high because I felt assured that this would be at least a decent movie.

I think a lot of fanboys are in serious denial right now. And the progressive media is already in full defence mode painting critics as whiny, entitled fanboys who need to grow up.

This is all very much like The Phantom Menace. People didn't accept that it sucked right away.

AFAIK, TPM wasn't well liked right from the beginning. People didn't like Jar Jar, or the casting/decision to make Anakin so young, the underutilization of Maul, etc. The movie that I think everyone wanted to be good and didn't accept it to be bad right away was ROTS.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Someone didn't pay attention...
I think I paid too much to realize how weak the characters were. Sure you can enjoy this movie somewhat by unplugging your brain from everything (plot/plot holes to dialogue and characters) and just enjoying the effects. Not for me unfortunately.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If it wasn't a Star Wars movie - it would be great.

But it is a Star Wars movie and it doesn't do justice to the whole Episode 1 - Episode 6 arc.

I don't like the new direction/story that they have taken Star Wars in...and I have put a detailed post in the Spoilers Thread.

Star Wars isn't Star Wars anymore....it's just another movie taking place in space with a below average story. My fears after watching TFA were confirmed by this movie and I doubt I spend anymore of my time watching Star Wars related stuff because I just dont like the story anymore.

3/10
This always happens when they add more story to a universe (which was in reality a closed arc after the first trilogy).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't kept up with what recent film critics are like, but man, that stuff can be infuriating. It used to be the other way around, where critics are supposed to be uncompromising and purely about the quality (although I would say there's always been a huge chasm between them, and I liked it that way) and the audiences were more fickle about their agendas/ulterior factors.

Now neither party is really worth listening to, I find. Casual word of mouth comes from people with terrible impatience, have low standards, and are amused by the dumbest things, and critics aren't as authentic as they used to be.

The glorification of the mediocre in the age of unbound knowledge with the Internet.

Feels like "how did we get here" but then you stop to think and realize there was no other way.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Some of the comments here border on spoilerish, so how about using tags or better yet, use the appropriate thread to discuss spoilers. It's not too hard to figure out. It's in the f***ing thread title.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Got my tickets for Saturday night. Pretty excited.

One thing I found I was in disagreement with from most people I talked to after TFA was that I really liked how they did Kylo Ren. I thought him being unstable, immature, and not sure of himself at all was a really cool change of pace from every other bad guy out there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Got my tickets for Saturday night. Pretty excited.

One thing I found I was in disagreement with from most people I talked to after TFA was that I really liked how they did Kylo Ren. I thought him being unstable, immature, and not sure of himself at all was a really cool change of pace from every other bad guy out there.

They do right by him in this movie. Kylo is a great villain that isn't one note. Total opposite of Marvel movies.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad