Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Kind of surprised that they didn't release any teaser or trailer yesterday for this movie.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I imagine that they're still smarting from 2018, from all of the backlash towards TLJ and the very disappointing Solo box office performance. Solo, particularly, is still relatively fresh in people's minds. I think that it's smart to not release any kind of information on the next movie yet. To do so might stir up some of the franchise fatigue all over again.

If I were them, I would put it off as long as possible, maybe not revealing the title until early Summer and then not releasing any kind of teaser or trailer until early Fall. Make fans wait so that, instead of growing tired of hearing about Episode 9 before it even comes out, they'll become hyped because they'll be ready for a new Star Wars then and it'll be only months away.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If anything they would want to start the hype for the next movie now, if they were concerned about supposed backlash or fatigue. Get the new movie in the thoughts of fans right now and let that sink in over the coming months.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I imagine that they're still smarting from 2018, from all of the backlash towards TLJ and the very disappointing Solo box office performance. Solo, particularly, is still relatively fresh in people's minds. I think that it's smart to not release any kind of information on the next movie yet. To do so might stir up some of the franchise fatigue all over again.

If I were them, I would put it off as long as possible, maybe not revealing the title until early Summer and then not releasing any kind of teaser or trailer until early Fall. Make fans wait so that, instead of growing tired of hearing about Episode 9 before it even comes out, they'll become hyped because they'll be ready for a new Star Wars then and it'll be only months away.

They're not going to have Celebration without having something from Episode IX though. I would imagine they drop at least a teaser trailer in April. Then probably a full trailer sometime in the summer.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If anything they would want to start the hype for the next movie now, if they were concerned about supposed backlash or fatigue. Get the new movie in the thoughts of fans right now and let that sink in over the coming months.

I can understand that line of reasoning and you might be right. I still think, though, that the way to avoid or reduce fatigue is to give audiences a break from the franchise, not to inundate them with news and glimpses of the next installment.

They're not going to have Celebration without having something from Episode IX though. I would imagine they drop at least a teaser trailer in April. Then probably a full trailer sometime in the summer.

I'm not familiar with Celebration, but I gather that it's some fan fest in April. If they need to reveal something there, that would be a good time for a title and logo reveal, IMO. I suggested early Summer, but that's close enough and a good opportunity. I wouldn't drop a teaser trailer that early, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
These are some of the character designs for the film as posted elsewhere. It proves earlier beliefs that Kylo has reforged his helmet with a red adhesive
0D6F00B7-3019-4087-8795-CBDBFFD7D4C7.png

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm disappointed that Rey is in all white. That seems to be too obviously playing to the "good guys wear white"/"bad guys wear black" trope and not doing anything to help the Mary Sue accusations. I really liked that Luke wore black throughout RotJ because it subverted that trope, gave him an edge and raised the possibility that there was a "dark side" to him so that we might wonder if he might turn into his father, who also wore black. Rey wearing white has no mystery to it. It suggests that she's a wholly pure good girl who'll always do the right thing and defeat the bad guy in black in the end. We suspect that, anyways, but it would've been far more interesting and raised a little doubt in viewers' minds to radically change her look and put her in black, as was done with Luke.

Also, those designs seem to suggest that there'll be no great length of time between movies. Rey is wearing pretty much the same clothes that she finished TLJ in and, if there were a year or two or three between films, you'd figure that Kylo would have fashioned a new helmet rather than superglued the damaged one.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Is it not possible Kylo Ren doesn't want a new one?

I am pretty sure someone said it would be a couple years between episode 8 and 9, not sure where though.

Also that is all concept art, so those designs aren't finalized versions of what will appear in the film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This photo from the set shows Poe looking just like in the sheet above:
STAR-WARS-9-1476970.jpg

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
This photo from the set shows Poe looking just like in the sheet above:
STAR-WARS-9-1476970.jpg
First off, just because one resembles the concept art doesn't mean all will resemble or match.

Second, my point about Kylo Ren stands. Just because he can get a brand new helmet doesn't necessarily mean he will.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
They just shot the last scene last week week. How will they have a special affects movie ready for December is beyond me

I’m sure they already started the effects on the previously filmed scenes

I don’t see how 9 months isn’t enough time to make this

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I’m sure they already started the effects on the previously filmed scenes

I don’t see how 9 months isn’t enough time to make this

It might be a problem if they have to do extensive reshoots. The lack of time and desire to re-do half the film is what happened to Rogue 1. But neither TFA and TJ required massive reshoots like R1 and Solo.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Seems counterproductive for Kylo Ren to get a new helmet after he viciously destroyed his first one in Last Jedi

It seemed counter intuitive that the First Order reigned supreme right after they had their mothership/homebase thing completely destroyed.

I don't think they want the audience paying too much attention. Just enjoy a space movie. :nod:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
They also eradicated like, the entire Republic before that, so who knows exactly what the power dynamics are in the galaxy right now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They also eradicated like, the entire Republic before that, so who knows exactly what the power dynamics are in the galaxy right now.

Well, one planet and its moons.

I never quite understood how the entire Republic would go down so easily but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad