Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Emperor returning is important; he's been the most important character in the series. That said Star Wars is all about three names: Kenobi, Skywalker, Palpatine. We've seen Skywalker fight Palpatine for awhile now.... I really think they switch them... Rey is a Palpatine; Kylo Ren is a Skywalker.

That would probably destroy what’s left of any fan loyalty to this trilogy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I doubt it. Episode VIII was a disaster and backtracking is the only solution.

That's not backtracking though. That's just an unnecessary twist that would cause even more discontent from the fanbase.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh I quite liked TFA and Rogue One. Solo was "fine". Im not giving up on Star Wars, so perhaps "ruined" is the wrong word.

But the The Last Jedi if a horridly flawed film and I really, strongly dislike what they did to Luke Skywalker.

One movie alone can't "ruin" Star Wars, but it would be more precise to say it may have ruined the 3rd trilogy. Depends a lot on what JJ Abrams but if you look at the main Star Wars movies as trilogies that tell a complete arc Johnson left this one in just a horrible position. I don't know if Abrams really gave it the best start but you have a good bit more room to mess up the first one.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
One movie alone can't "ruin" Star Wars, but it would be more precise to say it may have ruined the 3rd trilogy. Depends a lot on what JJ Abrams but if you look at the main Star Wars movies as trilogies that tell a complete arc Johnson left this one in just a horrible position. I don't know if Abrams really gave it the best start but you have a good bit more room to mess up the first one.

Having the first film end in a cliffhanger situation might have forced Johnson's hand somewhat.

I definitely agree that if the original goal was to tell a complete three film arc, Johnson didn't do a very good job of providing any clear path with his piece either.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Having the first film end in a cliffhanger situation might have forced Johnson's hand somewhat.

I definitely agree that if the original goal was to tell a complete three film arc, Johnson didn't do a very good job of providing any clear path with his piece either.

I really hope this film isn't too long or too clunky trying to make up for Johnson going rogue.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I really hope this film isn't too long or too clunky trying to make up for Johnson going rogue.

literally the trailer looks like JJ scrambling to fix what Rian changed

Kylo repairing the helmet, Sidious awkwardly brought back because Rian tossed Snoke away like nothing, Luke seemingly being an important part of the story despite Rian killing him off in the absolute lamest way possible, and now even potentially scrapping the Rey heritage story (I actually liked the idea that Rey was nobody and became important, but if they go back on it now its just awkward)

as much as I wasnt a HUGE fan of Episode 7, I wish JJ had done all 3 cause Rian used Episode 8 to basically derail everything JJ set up and now Episode 9 is gonna be JJ spending too much time putting everything back together

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Kylo repairing the helmet, Sidious awkwardly brought back because Rian tossed Snoke away like nothing, Luke seemingly being an important part of the story despite Rian killing him off in the absolute lamest way possible, and now even potentially scrapping the Rey heritage story (I actually liked the idea that Rey was nobody and became important, but if they go back on it now its just awkward)

Kylo isn't putting together his helmet.

You don't know if Palpatine being back is awkward or plays well in with the story. You've seen a two minute teaser and aren't in a position to make any definitive statements on this.

Luke died saving what was left of the Rebellion-Lite projected half a galaxy away while always defending, never attacking, like a Jedi. It's dope.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
literally the trailer looks like JJ scrambling to fix what Rian changed

as much as I wasnt a HUGE fan of Episode 7, I wish JJ had done all 3 cause Rian used Episode 8 to basically derail everything JJ set up and now Episode 9 is gonna be JJ spending too much time putting everything back together

It's pretty easy to back track on Rey's heritage. Kylo may have just made it up to try and get her to join him after they killed Snoke and his guards.

I do wonder if Sidious being back would actually offer more of a backstory to Snoke. You gotta figure that at some point they knew of each other's existence, even if they didn't interfere with one another.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Someone should ask John Williams to rate each SW movie. His opinion would be pretty interesting, having seen it all. Wonder what he felt composing master scores to terrible prequels, or what he felt when he was composing TLJ.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kylo isn't putting together his helmet.

You don't know if Palpatine being back is awkward or plays well in with the story. You've seen a two minute teaser and aren't in a position to make any definitive statements on this.

Luke died saving what was left of the Rebellion-Lite projected half a galaxy away while always defending, never attacking, like a Jedi. It's dope.

HFBoards posters jumping to terrible conclusions based on a short video. In other news, water is wet. ;)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ok so it sounds like Disney has decided to put the big tentpole Star Wars movies on hiatus after this one.

I'll walk back some of my criticisms yesterday: if they are going to focus on TV and put the movies on hold for a bit, they might as well use this movie to close the loop. Good play Disney, I like that.

Must have been a hell of a sell to the shareholders!!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Part of the problem is there was no plan. It was just them giving three different directors a movie in a trilogy and hoping they somehow fit together in the end. While I think it's good to allow directors their own vision, if you're trying to tell a story over the course of a trilogy, you need some basic structure for them to follow. If Johnson was told where the trilogy was ending, maybe he would have done things differently in TLJ to help set up the final film better.

Reactions: Rob

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Johnson could have went literally any direction with what he was given to work with a the end TLJ.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Someone should ask John Williams to rate each SW movie. His opinion would be pretty interesting, having seen it all. Wonder what he felt composing master scores to terrible prequels, or what he felt when he was composing TLJ.

I think hes on record saying hes never watched any of them in their entirety.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Part of the problem is there was no plan. It was just them giving three different directors a movie in a trilogy and hoping they somehow fit together in the end. While I think it's good to allow directors their own vision, if you're trying to tell a story over the course of a trilogy, you need some basic structure for them to follow. If Johnson was told where the trilogy was ending, maybe he would have done things differently in TLJ to help set up the final film better.

I'm pretty sure Abrams did have stuff planned out that he passed onto Johnson, who did the same thing with those scripts as he had Luke do with the lightsaber.

It's good if they're doing this though. Disney has really dropped the ball with the Star Wars property by not having a Kevin Fiege-type in place to set the long term creative vision for the movies. You can't just haphazardly make a trilogy passing creative direction around like a hot potato, that's just likely to **** things up because unlike other properties you can't 'reboot' Star Wars.

Reactions: x Tame Impala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad