Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Title, premise, trailer, all look exceedingly stupid. I'll wait to see this one in theaters until after a bunch of my friends have. Honestly, I just have no interest in this series anymore. I guess, finally, I am done with Star Wars.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Title, premise, trailer, all look exceedingly stupid. I'll wait to see this one in theaters until after a bunch of my friends have. Honestly, I just have no interest in this series anymore. I guess, finally, I am done with Star Wars.

There is so little information at this point about IX that such a dramatic response is unwarranted.

Now, if you had said this after watching The Last Jedi, I'd understand.

Reactions: Richard

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Kevin Smith talking about the trailer...typical great stuff from him.

17:40 to the end are an absolute must listen for anyone who is a fan of any franchise, not just Star Wars. Masterfully puts the fan rage into perspective and makes it all seem really stupid

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
There is so little information at this point about IX that such a dramatic response is unwarranted.

Now, if you had said this after watching The Last Jedi, I'd understand.

I mean, you are correct but The Last Jedi burned me so bad it legitimately drained most of my interest in this franchise. I won't see this one without proper vetting.

We don't have a lot of information but the title, the setup, and the whole universes premise now seems uninteresting to me.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Force ghosts are one thing.

Force ghosts that can call lightning down from the sky and destroy matter is another thing all together.

Countless Sith force ghosts and even Darth Bane himself appeared to Yoda on Moraband, and yet they could do nothing to him and Yoda knew this.

I thought that those were illusions, not actual force ghosts.

Understanding of the Force is evolving. Remember, before Qui Gon, the Jedi had forgotten how to become Force ghosts. It's folly for you to believe you know everything about what's possible and, frankly, is one of the biggest problems I have with the fan base.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I read somewhere that “Skywalker” won’t be referring to the literal bloodline of Anakin/Luke/Leia/Kylo but will refer to a new philosophy on the Force, (what Luke was talking about in TLJ) that the Force is neither good or evil and that it’s not yours to own or control. Basically it’s a paradigm shift.

Id be down for that. I felt a little bit of the Grey Jedi stuff was being teased in TLJ trailers a few years back and was a little bummed the movie didn’t head in that direction.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I read somewhere that “Skywalker” won’t be referring to the literal bloodline of Anakin/Luke/Leia/Kylo but will refer to a new philosophy on the Force, (what Luke was talking about in TLJ) that the Force is neither good or evil and that it’s not yours to own or control. Basically it’s a paradigm shift.

Id be down for that. I felt a little bit of the Grey Jedi stuff was being teased in TLJ trailers a few years back and was a little bummed the movie didn’t head in that direction.

I'd read on the Twitters that one of the EU books out recently sees a small, far off planet that has force sensitives and calls them "Skywalkers." I hope that's the route they're going.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
17:40 to the end are an absolute must listen for anyone who is a fan of any franchise, not just Star Wars. Masterfully puts the fan rage into perspective and makes it all seem really stupid

The rage, yes. It’s obnoxious. But the gist of his argument that “just because it wasn’t what you wanted doesn’t mean it’s not bad” has been beaten to death since the movie came out and it’s still a really lame rebuttal IMO.

There wasn’t a single thing I NEEDED to see in TLJ. TFA left things so open ended that TLJ could’ve been about almost anything related TFA and I’d be happy...as long as it was executed well and made sense. The Last Jedi didn’t do those things, it took Star Wars in a totally different direction that to a lot of people didn’t make any sense, wasn’t executed well, and ultimately made for a bad and confusing movie.

That’s how a lot of people feel. It’s not because Rey has no interesting parentage, Snoke has no relevance, Luke abandoned his Jedi ways, etc...it’s because none of those
themes were written out well and it made for a bad movie.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'd read on the Twitters that one of the EU books out recently sees a small, far off planet that has force sensitives and calls them "Skywalkers." I hope that's the route they're going.

Yeah, the latest Thrawn book mentions that his people have force sensitive children who are called -- when translated from their language -- "sky walkers". Mostly because they used the force to navigate the uncharted space in the galaxy, I believe.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah that Kevin Smith take is just the same old shit.

They even contradict themselves by the end of it by explaining how they rage and exaggerate things for entertainment purposes, with specific reference to Batman v Superman.

This is exactly what is wrong with “the conversation” around Star Wars (and ‘fandom’ in general). Industry people like Smith love to explain how terrible it is when random internet users shit on a movie but when those same industry people rant and rave about something that they don’t like, well they’re just doing it for “entertainment” purposes, and their negative opinion isn’t “real life” but somehow everyone else’s negative opinions are to be taken very seriously.

It’s so disingenuous and nasty.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Thanks for sharing. I’ll make sure to keep a mental note of that moving forward.

Reactions: HanSolo

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah that Kevin Smith take is just the same old ****.

They even contradict themselves by the end of it by explaining how they rage and exaggerate things for entertainment purposes, with specific reference to Batman v Superman.

This is exactly what is wrong with “the conversation” around Star Wars (and ‘fandom’ in general). Industry people like Smith love to explain how terrible it is when random internet users **** on a movie but when those same industry people rant and rave about something that they don’t like, well they’re just doing it for “entertainment” purposes, and their negative opinion isn’t “real life” but somehow everyone else’s negative opinions are to be taken very seriously.

It’s so disingenuous and nasty.

That's Garman only. There's very few comic book related or scifi stuff that Kevin Smith hates(if any). He didn't "hate" Batman vs Superman. He had lots of issues with it that didn't make him love it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I guess you weren't:

I mean, you are correct but The Last Jedi burned me so bad it legitimately drained most of my interest in this franchise. I won't see this one without proper vetting.

We don't have a lot of information but the title, the setup, and the whole universes premise now seems uninteresting to me.

"Do or do not. There is no try."

You're either done or you're not. Otherwise you just come off as....

tenor.gif

Reactions: Roman Fell

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

So the universe will be where neutral struggles against evil for control. No good.

Sounds like a great place to raise a family.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Skywalker has always sounded more like a title than a name to me. It would be some nice growth for the franchise if that name became less specifically associated with Luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad