OT: Star Trek vs Star Wars

Star Trek or Star Wars is your favorite?

• Star Trek

• Star Wars

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I get what you're saying.

Gotta also wonder why all planets have one biome, government, economy, etc.

Makes for easy world building and storytelling but it's not very creative. Lots of sci-fi is guilty of it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually, the worst "trope", if you will, is that all humanoid life forms on other planets/galaxies speak perfect English. Not French, Spanish or Polish, but English. Give or take the occasional Klingon, that is.

Not so. They are all using the ubiquitous Universal Translators.

The worst one is the Earth USA dominance of the United Federation of Planets. We get a token Russian, a token Japanese, a token Vulcan and a few other token humanoids. Even the token black person is American. :laugh:

Reactions: DannyGallivan

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I love Star Trek because it's science fiction. It's well written science fiction. Star Wars, while set in space, is just a set of action set pieces. The original trilogy is good, but everything else has been relatively mediocre.

I can't wait to see what Picard does when it releases, though I can't help but think that it banks more on star recognition than anything else. I hope the writing is good.

DREGER21

Mar 26, 2018
Star Wars... I've seen each film the day it came out in theaters dating back to May 25, 1977 when I was 9. Empire is still by far the best (IMO). This being said.. the scene in the last one with Leia floating thru space was worth an epic eye-roll on my part. The trailers for the last one coming out in December are giving me hope. Not a New Hope.. more like a Last Hope.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I get what you're saying.

Gotta also wonder why all planets have one biome, government, economy, etc.

Simply not true - but the Prime Directive prevents contact with less advanced civilizations still afflicted with nation states and nationalism. Also, there are several episodes of Star Trek with 2 or even 3 competing civilizations or 1 advanced civilization victimizing the less advanced.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Simply not true - but the Prime Directive prevents contact with less advanced civilizations still afflicted with nation states and nationalism. Also, there are several episodes of Star Trek with 2 or even 3 competing civilizations or 1 advanced civilization victimizing the less advanced.

The Prime Directive more or less states that the Federation can't make contact with any civilisation that hasn't achieved warp technology on their own, which goes hand in hand with 'less advanced civilisation' and nationalism.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Prime Directive more or less states that the Federation can't make contact with any civilisation that hasn't achieved warp technology on their own, which goes hand in hand with 'less advanced civilisation' and nationalism.

Yes. The premise is that any civilization that advanced technically will also have advanced sociologically. But they do have occasional exceptions. Both Klingons and Romulans display some societal Pejorative Sluration.

Speaking of the Romulans, whatever happened to them? :laugh: They seemed to just disappear in later incarnations of ST.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yes. The premise is that any civilization that advanced technically will also have advanced sociologically. But they do have occasional exceptions. Both Klingons and Romulans display some societal ******ation.

Speaking of the Romulans, whatever happened to them? :laugh: They seemed to just disappear in later incarnations of ST.

It was determined that Romulans were just foul-tempered Vulcans. :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not so. They are all using the ubiquitous Universal Translators.

The worst one is the Earth USA dominance of the United Federation of Planets. We get a token Russian, a token Japanese, a token Vulcan and a few other token humanoids. Even the token black person is American. :laugh:
Uhura's from the USA - the United States of Africa...according to Star Trek canon.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Which Star Trek?
Original? Next Gen,? DS9? Voyageur? OG Movies? Nect Gen Movies? New Movies?

Which Star Wars?
OG Trilogy? Prequels? New Trilogy? Spin offs?
Rebels? Clone Wars?

Regardless....any way you look at it,
BC8E0D1E-CB5E-4955-AC44-7B75F7B3913D.png

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: I said USA domination.
True true...but this was all revolutionary stuff back in the 60s. A black woman on the bridge? A Russian? An Asian? Never mind the guy with the pointy ears who was 2nd in command. As far as I know, there was nothing close to Star Trek's United-Nations-in-Space vibe on TV or film. It was probably the least USA-centric US show in the history of American television up to that point. The Beachcombers had a less diverse cast. It was quite a unique thing.

Star Trek was more in the line of literary sci-fi where the story takes place in "the future" but really, a lot of it is about current issues. Definitely a nerdier flavor of sci-fi.

Star Wars is really fantasy in a sci-fi setting. The Force is pure magic. Epic and awesome (at least the first trilogy) but they're very different breeds of cats.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True true...but this was all revolutionary stuff back in the 60s. A black woman on the bridge? A Russian? An Asian? Never mind the guy with the pointy ears who was 2nd in command. As far as I know, there was nothing close to Star Trek's United-Nations-in-Space vibe on TV or film. It was probably the least USA-centric US show in the history of American television up to that point. The Beachcombers had a less diverse cast. It was quite a unique thing.

Star Trek was more in the line of literary sci-fi where the story takes place in "the future" but really, a lot of it is about current issues. Definitely a nerdier flavor of sci-fi.

Star Wars is really fantasy in a sci-fi setting. The Force is pure magic. Epic and awesome (at least the first trilogy) but they're very different breeds of cats.

True - and they were even given a lot of credit for that back in '67(?). But they haven't advanced much since. The Federation is still Earth dominated and Earth is still USA dominated in many ways.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
True - and they were even given a lot of credit for that back in '67(?). But they haven't advanced much since. The Federation is still Earth dominated and Earth is still USA dominated in many ways.
Well, no one's going to watch a show with French captain...wait a minute... :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I've always heard that Star Trek is for Nerds while Star Wars is for dorks. Or do I have that backwards?
giphy.gif

Clearly backwards.

Also, I recall there being a distinction between Trekkers (who liked the original show because it's so campy) and Trekkers (who became the nerds that would later fight to the death over Kirk vs. Picard).

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’m a converted Star Wars fan now.

Early on, I liked Shatner and the crew on Star Trek. Liked their adventures and story lines over the Star Wars sagas back then. Cheesy yes. But somehow Shatner and crew seemed to portray it knowing it was pretty cheesy, to me.

After Shatner’s group aged out, I stopped following Star Trek. Ok, I might know who Seven of Nine is, but that’s it.

The new trilogy of Star Wars is pretty darn good. And putting the movie segments together in one big story just adds to the appeal. I’ve taken the kids to Disney World, so it doesn’t hurt that Disney is behind this empire now.

Wouldn’t it be good to be George Lucas now?

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Just read some news for Star Wars fans

Kevin Feige(Marvel studios head honcho) is going to create a new series for Star Wars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad