OT: Star Trek vs Star Wars

Star Trek or Star Wars is your favorite?

• Star Trek

• Star Wars

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Which do you prefer? I mean both are good, but which is your favorite one and why?

Trying something new, see how people respond. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit, add a bit more fun to our forum. Listed as a OT thread, so don't complain.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Growing up in rural MB (4 channels) in the 70's & 80's, all I got to watch was Star Trek so that is my favorite.
Star Wars is good too but watching many years after it came out, as an adult just does not make the same impression as on a kid.

Reactions: Afterburner

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s. For some strange reason, as an 10 y/o watching Episode 1 filled my heart with joy and amazement. After watching lightsabers and hearing about the Force, all I wanted to do with my life was be a Jedi.
The series has gone all over the place since then. Heck, even since the originals. The books were awesome.... and weird.
But Star Trek almost seems too realistic. Strange as that sounds.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That is one hard choice!

Love both, but Star Trek takes the cake as I want nothing to do with the SW sequels....

SW ended with the prequels, the rest are an abomination.
Loved alot of the books and comics, that have sadly been deemed non canon since Disney took over.

Have watched every episode of ST more than once, same with the movies.

kelvin timeline is meh tho, and the new Discovery series is also an abomination.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like both a lot. Grew up on Star Trek with my dad and got into Star Wars because of my older brother.

I actually don't mind the Last Jedi. It could use some plot point trimming but and some better fight choregraphy but it is a beautiful looking film. The ending too with Luke should have been thought out better. I am actually tired of this part of the Star Wars canon period. An old republic movie trilogy or something set a 100 years after with something coming out of the unknown regions would be good.

On Star Trek, all I want to see now is Quetin Tarrintino film be made

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yup.

For me it's easily SW but that's because I frame the franchise on the basis of the Original Trilogy. Saw Star Wars (not A New Hope) at the Park Theater when I was 13 and kept going back. Empire was darker and as a middling teenager even better. ROTJ started the downfall as Ewoks ultimately begat Jar Jar, though at the time I really just mostly focused on the Luke vs Vader aspect.

The prequel trilogy was meh, which is really sad. I was very excited for Episode I and aspects were very good but mostly it was a bad movie. The rest of the trilogy followed suit. My nephew actually took the time to edit the three prequel movies down into about 2.5 hours of relevant material - no forced Padme-Anakin romance, no Jar Jar Binks or Boss Nass crap. It was remarkably enjoyable and still effectively told the story.

The new stuff? I think they've gone a little too "activist" in using the movies to convey the director's social leanings and it's really a pity because after the first movie there was strong potential. Rey-Finn-Kylo could have been handled well and a good story told, but that's not to be the case because apparently the story is secondary in this day and age. I really don't believe the vast majority of people had any problem accepting Rey as the hero (ine) and being the next hope for the Jedi but they just had to go overboard...

I will say I really enjoyed Rogue One as it had that OT feel. I even enjoyed Solo but that's probably because in my mind I compare it to The Last Jedi so it didn't take much to be better.

As for Trek I enjoy it quite a lot and to be honest I get more of a kick out of SW vs ST than being of any truly strong opinion. I watched the original series as a kid and grew up loving it (and sorry, but the ladies in there were amazing). The other series I enjoyed to varying degrees but never as much as TOS though the next generation was really, really good and I loved Picard as the captain.

People often forget about TOS movies that were out. Some were good, some were bad. I was a huge fan of Trek when the first movie came out but it bored me to tears. Wrath of Khan redeemed the movie aspect really well and it proceeded in hit and miss fashion. I suspect many would say more misses than hits, other than Khan. I even found the reboot series to be quite enjoyable but I'm not so much of a purist that I get offended by that sort of stuff.

Greatest scifi movie ever though was clearly Howard the Duck. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidOne and Huffer

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I get more excited to see a Star Wars movie (though, episode 8 was a stinker) but I enjoy Star Trek’s overall franchise.

Of course, Battlestar Galactica (the latter TV series) was great!

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Which do you prefer? I mean both are good, but which is your favorite one and why?

Trying something new, see how people respond. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit, add a bit more fun to our forum. Listed as a OT thread, so don't complain.
Man, never saw the allure of Star Wars. Han Solo made it watchable for the first three films, and the first two films were actually pretty good. But for the most part... meh.

Give me the original Star Trek series with Shatner and Nimoy any time. Light, colourful, sometimes thought-provoking, often funny (on purpose or not) and almost always fun. Same with Picard's crew.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Star Trek AINEC. It was smarter, funnier, sexier, and took on serious societal issues and social conventions. Granted, not always successfully but what show is perfect? Well, besides The Good Place. :nod:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i was never a starwars fan, I've always enjoyed star trek "beam me up scotty there no intelligent life down here". i had a t-shirt that said raise the speed limit to (check the box) 65; 75; warp 6. back when the speed limit was 55.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Space 1999, but seriously I like both but lean towards Star Trek.

I just remember it being really boring (I was just a kid, but it didn't do anything for me).

space-1999-landau-gif.gif

Reactions: Gm0ney

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Space 1999, but seriously I like both but lean towards Star Trek.

I'm like @DannyGallivan in that I found Space 1999 to be kind of boring but I never missed an episode. I think it was just deeper than my mind was able to handle at that age.

Also loved Lost in Space but then again there's probably not that many scifi series that I didn't like so maybe it's not saying much.

@nobody imp0rtant I'd agree about the content aspect of it, but Star Wars was and always should be fluff (though not Ewok-JarJar-Porg style fluff). While Trek may not have always hit it out of the park there was at least some real effort made to make social commentary in a way that made people observe and hopefully think. The new SW stuff is basically a funnel and plunger approach - not going to fly well.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yup.

For me it's easily SW but that's because I frame the franchise on the basis of the Original Trilogy. Saw Star Wars (not A New Hope) at the Park Theater when I was 13 and kept going back. Empire was darker and as a middling teenager even better. ROTJ started the downfall as Ewoks ultimately begat Jar Jar, though at the time I really just mostly focused on the Luke vs Vader aspect.

The prequel trilogy was meh, which is really sad. I was very excited for Episode I and aspects were very good but mostly it was a bad movie. The rest of the trilogy followed suit. My nephew actually took the time to edit the three prequel movies down into about 2.5 hours of relevant material - no forced Padme-Anakin romance, no Jar Jar Binks or Boss Nass crap. It was remarkably enjoyable and still effectively told the story.

The new stuff? I think they've gone a little too "activist" in using the movies to convey the director's social leanings and it's really a pity because after the first movie there was strong potential. Rey-Finn-Kylo could have been handled well and a good story told, but that's not to be the case because apparently the story is secondary in this day and age. I really don't believe the vast majority of people had any problem accepting Rey as the hero (ine) and being the next hope for the Jedi but they just had to go overboard...

I will say I really enjoyed Rogue One as it had that OT feel. I even enjoyed Solo but that's probably because in my mind I compare it to The Last Jedi so it didn't take much to be better.

As for Trek I enjoy it quite a lot and to be honest I get more of a kick out of SW vs ST than being of any truly strong opinion. I watched the original series as a kid and grew up loving it (and sorry, but the ladies in there were amazing). The other series I enjoyed to varying degrees but never as much as TOS though the next generation was really, really good and I loved Picard as the captain.

People often forget about TOS movies that were out. Some were good, some were bad. I was a huge fan of Trek when the first movie came out but it bored me to tears. Wrath of Khan redeemed the movie aspect really well and it proceeded in hit and miss fashion. I suspect many would say more misses than hits, other than Khan. I even found the reboot series to be quite enjoyable but I'm not so much of a purist that I get offended by that sort of stuff.

Greatest scifi movie ever though was clearly Howard the Duck. :sarcasm:
I actually really liked the prequels, mostly because episode 1 came out when I was 13, it had alot of good elements, like pod racing and a more in depth view of some planets and cultures, which I really enjoyed, I agree on Jar Jar tho.

But I once saw a “documentary” on Jar Jar that changed my whole view of him, and apparently some of it was confirmed by Lucas himself.

Nothing beats the originals tho.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad