OT: Star Trek vs Star Wars

Star Trek or Star Wars is your favorite?

• Star Trek

• Star Wars

Results are only viewable after voting.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
star_wars_vs_star_trek_by_hapo57.jpg

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Star Trek AINEC. It was smarter, funnier, sexier, and took on serious societal issues and social conventions. Granted, not always successfully but what show is perfect? Well, besides The Good Place. :nod:

Star Trek pioneered IMO the worst trope of sci-fi. That every single member of a single species on another planet is the exact same. They all have the same goals, views and abilities. Just never caught me like star wars did.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Star Trek pioneered IMO the worst trope of sci-fi. That every single member of a single species on another planet is the exact same. They all have the same goals, views and abilities. Just never caught me like star wars did.
Actually, the worst "trope", if you will, is that all humanoid life forms on other planets/galaxies speak perfect English. Not French, Spanish or Polish, but English. Give or take the occasional Klingon, that is.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

You'll have to expand on what you mean because as I'm currently interpreting it, that all aliens portrayed on ST are exactly like humans, is just patently false. The episode with the Horta illustrated very well the problems inherent in making contact with a species far, far different from us. Although, Gary Larson did it better. :laugh:

f5617e69a98841974675b462ab164391.jpg

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I enjoyed the first 3 Star Wars movies, but they lost me after that.

Star Trek has it's great stuff and it's turds, but the movie reboot and Star Trek: Discovery are sublime.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes Discovery. It has taken the ST franchise to a much darker place and I'm good with that.

Reactions: Jet and leer2006

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I voted Star Wars, Star Trek nothing seems to work no matter how brand new it maybe. The whole ship is a piece of shit. EVERY TIME someone attacks the shields dont work, the engines wont run and the guns magically wont fire. Im think the whole thing was built in China out of dollar store plastic.

In the end Warhammer 40k is way way better! Everything works and still dont matter your most likely going to die.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Actually, the worst "trope", if you will, is that all humanoid life forms on other planets/galaxies speak perfect English. Not French, Spanish or Polish, but English. Give or take the occasional Klingon, that is.

It's sort of a necessary part of movie making. Incorporating language translation would be a cumbersome intrusion on the story telling. It's OK to suspend disbelief when watching SF.

And if the Germans for example made a movie about alien contact, I expect the aliens would speak German not English.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It's like trying to pick which of your children is your favourite. If you put a gun to my head though, it's always been Star Trek.

It's tough though as Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, that has had a couple of TV spin offs, whereas Star Trek is primarily a TV show that has had a couple of movie spin offs. So there's just so much MORE of Star Trek than there is Star Wars.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I voted Star Wars, Star Trek nothing seems to work no matter how brand new it maybe. The whole ship is a piece of ****. EVERY TIME someone attacks the shields dont work, the engines wont run and the guns magically wont fire. Im think the whole thing was built in China out of dollar store plastic.

In the end Warhammer 40k is way way better! Everything works and still dont matter your most likely going to die.

Not to mention those damn sensors are constantly in need of re-calibrating. :laugh:

Reactions: folix

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Also loved Lost in Space but then again there's probably not that many scifi series that I didn't like so maybe it's not saying much.

I'm loathe to admit that I even liked The Starlost when it was on. I was not a critical thinker at that age.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It's sort of a necessary part of movie making. Incorporating language translation would be a cumbersome intrusion on the story telling. It's OK to suspend disbelief when watching SF.

And if the Germans for example made a movie about alien contact, I expect the aliens would speak German not English.
... or English with thick German accents (never mind, that's for American war movies).

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You'll have to expand on what you mean because as I'm currently interpreting it, that all aliens portrayed on ST are exactly like humans, is just patently false. The episode with the Horta illustrated very well the problems inherent in making contact with a species far, far different from us. Although, Gary Larson did it better. :laugh:

f5617e69a98841974675b462ab164391.jpg

More like each individual of species is the exact same as each other individual of a species. D&D also reinforces this trope in early additions for fantasy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Guys, please try to keep all political opinions out of the thread. Talking about why you think the Star Wars writing has gone downhill is fine, but you can do it without blaming the political beliefs of others.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
More like each individual of species is the exact same as each other individual of a species. D&D also reinforces this trope in early additions for fantasy.
Yeah I get what you're saying.

Gotta also wonder why all planets have one biome, government, economy, etc.

Reactions: Daximus

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Discovery mainly has Klingons speaking native tongue. Really great writing and as stated, darker than the usual Star Trek. Even good characters struggle with moral issues and make unexpected choices

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad