TV: Star Trek returning to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I like the idea of an anthology series, with seasons/episodes giving the Vulcans, Romulons, Klingons, Bajorans, et cetra some love. The federation has been given more than ample screen time, let the other races have the spot light for a bit.

Also, in-regards to the gamma quadrant, you can almost be assured that the Dominion was allowed to limp back to the gamma quadrant, albeit with the guarantee that no ships would be coming through. The dominion was still a very powerful force at the end of the war.

Their presence in the alpha quadrant had been obliterated, which they had poured a ton of resources into before being cut off from the wormhole, plus the founders were all dying from the disease before they got the cure from Odo at the end of the war, but yes I assume they were still a major power in the gamma quadrant.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Their presence in the alpha quadrant had been obliterated, which they had poured a ton of resources into before being cut off from the wormhole, plus the founders were all dying from the disease before they got the cure from Odo at the end of the war, but yes I assume they were still a major power in the gamma quadrant.

They still had a ton of ships in the Cardassian system, specifically around Cardassia prime. They only surrendered because the founder told them to. I can't imagine the federation and its allies were able to negotiate the fleets dismantling. Likely what happened is that the fleet was allowed to go back to the gamma quadrant.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They still had a ton of ships in the Cardassian system, specifically around Cardassia prime. They only surrendered because the founder told them to. I can't imagine the federation and its allies were able to negotiate the fleets dismantling. Likely what happened is that the fleet was allowed to go back to the gamma quadrant.

Probably, but they had established huge manufacturing power in Cardassian space that was destroyed during the war. I'm sure they are still a great power but it must have put a dent in their resources losing that war.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well see. that's the thing. We don't know what the armistice actually involved.

There's no way Odo would have gone to help his people (willingly) after linking with the Female Changeling Founder if it was to "rebuild the dominion to it's former glory." the J'em H'adar and the Vorta would probably do whatever Odo said as he is a god to them.

I'd argue the only real foothold that they could not control is the B'reen. why did they want to attack the federation? what were they promised (other than Earth). they don't answer to the Founders they could attack with that super duper destroy weapon at any time. - but again we don't know because we don't know about the details of the armistice. (and Cardassia is in no position to do anything, basically becoming like Bajor at the end of the war, having lost billions of people, all their resources and having to re-image themselves. I always liked that little irony the show did there).

an anthology about the aliens of star trek was something i've had an idea for ages. every 'season' is sort of like. what makes them tick. heck this way you could even have a Borg Origin story. (i know people would groan etc) - but i dunno. to me, the Borg is sort of like the White Walkers of Space. they had to have been created somehow (with the organic/synthetic pieces). or maybe they weren't made but literally had to adapt - having to graft machine to themselves. (sort of like the aliens in Voyager who had that super disgusting disease and they killed aliens to give themselves body parts yah?)

or like the other guy said - do a mirror universe.

pick moments in written history (or even talked about history - again. Pegasus) that you COULD go back to.

show us the cardassian wars.
hell. show us the DMZ skirmishes and (truly) what led to the maquis (the DS9 version was kinda lame, and only used for the gateway for Voyager).

star trek has a lot of great story ideas in books etc, that they easily could do whateve they wanted without focusing on Kirk et al, and Picard et al that would seriously intrigued any Trekkie but be different enough to capture a Sci-Fi geek + Casual Viewer as well. you just need strong writing (as you need really for anything on television).

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
well see. that's the thing. We don't know what the armistice actually involved.

There's no way Odo would have gone to help his people (willingly) after linking with the Female Changeling Founder if it was to "rebuild the dominion to it's former glory." the J'em H'adar and the Vorta would probably do whatever Odo said as he is a god to them.

I'd argue the only real foothold that they could not control is the B'reen. why did they want to attack the federation? what were they promised (other than Earth). they don't answer to the Founders they could attack with that super duper destroy weapon at any time. - but again we don't know because we don't know about the details of the armistice. (and Cardassia is in no position to do anything, basically becoming like Bajor at the end of the war, having lost billions of people, all their resources and having to re-image themselves. I always liked that little irony the show did there).

an anthology about the aliens of star trek was something i've had an idea for ages. every 'season' is sort of like. what makes them tick. heck this way you could even have a Borg Origin story. (i know people would groan etc) - but i dunno. to me, the Borg is sort of like the White Walkers of Space. they had to have been created somehow (with the organic/synthetic pieces). or maybe they weren't made but literally had to adapt - having to graft machine to themselves. (sort of like the aliens in Voyager who had that super disgusting disease and they killed aliens to give themselves body parts yah?)

or like the other guy said - do a mirror universe.

pick moments in written history (or even talked about history - again. Pegasus) that you COULD go back to.

show us the cardassian wars.
hell. show us the DMZ skirmishes and (truly) what led to the maquis (the DS9 version was kinda lame, and only used for the gateway for Voyager).

star trek has a lot of great story ideas in books etc, that they easily could do whateve they wanted without focusing on Kirk et al, and Picard et al that would seriously intrigued any Trekkie but be different enough to capture a Sci-Fi geek + Casual Viewer as well. you just need strong writing (as you need really for anything on television).

The Breen were opportunists. They saw the dominion as a means to significantly expand their holdings. They were referenced early on as an aggressive state, so it wasn't seen as to out of the ordinary when they joined the dominion.

I don't think the dominion will change their attitudes. Odo probably knew this when he made his decision to return with the founders.

The dominion is still the dominant force in the gamma quadrant, and is easily on par with the federation in terms of power and the ability to project that power, at least in the gamma quadrant.

Because of their size and power, the dominion has no reason to back off on their current policies. The founders will not be changing their way of thinking over one instance where it became a necessity to do so. The changelings were a people who were hunted down and killed without remorse. The mindset they developed from these experiences will not change, atleast not over night.

I would love to see an episode centered solely around the vorta. While they're genetically programed to see any changeling as a God, they're a highly intelligent race and seeming quite the independent thinkers. That dynamic might make for a good story I think.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They're dropping new trailers every few days now. This one does have a little bit of new footage:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can't find reference to that coming from any official sources or solid enough from unofficial trustworthy sources. I did try.

As far as season 1 being about the conflict and season 2 being about the aftermath, it was mentioned in an article in either EW or Variety. I can't remember exactly.

Regarding T'Kuvma trying to unite Klingon houses, it's stated on the DSC wiki page under "premise". It's sourced to articles in Trekmovie and EW.

That said, I think it's pretty obvious that the show is involves a conflict with the Klingons. Both internal to the Klingons, and externally with the Federation (or at least elements of the Federation)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As far as season 1 being about the conflict and season 2 being about the aftermath, it was mentioned in an article in either EW or Variety. I can't remember exactly.

Regarding T'Kuvma trying to unite Klingon houses, it's stated on the DSC wiki page under "premise". It's sourced to articles in Trekmovie and EW.

That said, I think it's pretty obvious that the show is involves a conflict with the Klingons. Both internal to the Klingons, and externally with the Federation (or at least elements of the Federation)

And yet I can't find that first part.

It isn't clear to me that the majority of the story is focused on the Klingon stuff or if that's just promotional material.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
And yet I can't find that first part.

It isn't clear to me that the majority of the story is focused on the Klingon stuff or if that's just promotional material.

"While the Season 1 arc will concentrate on the Federation’s war with the Klingons, executive producer Alex Kurtzman has revealed in an interview with Digital Spy that the heavily serialized CBS All Access Star Trek series’ sophomore season will deal with the aftermath of said war as well as other things"

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-t...to-deal-with-the-aftermath-of-the-klingon-war

The show is absolutely focused on the Klingons.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sonequa Martin Green was on Colbert last night. They played an actual clip from Discovery.

Clip starts at 00:11

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is why I don't watch news. They started the interview saying she was the black female captain, twice, and now most of the interview is about being the first black female captain and focusing on the haters. Instead of focusing on the haters, why not focus on the fans who are supportive. This felt like a negative interview when it didn't have to be.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Her acting has to be better than all these trailers/clips and TWD, or it's going to be tough to follow the series with a weak lead.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Her acting has to be better than all these trailers/clips and TWD, or it's going to be tough to follow the series with a weak lead.

My thoughts exactly. Her acting and dialog are really bad in all the cilps we've seen.

I actually like the premise the show, (minus it being a prequal, and SMG being related to Spock), but if her acting is this bad the show is going to be bad.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This is why I don't watch news. They started the interview saying she was the black female captain, twice, and now most of the interview is about being the first black female captain and focusing on the haters. Instead of focusing on the haters, why not focus on the fans who are supportive. This felt like a negative interview when it didn't have to be.

Yeah it's frustrating.

The narrative in the media that there's a bunch of haters due to the fact that she's a black women is false anyways. There were a few irrelevant idiots that made negative comments about it on Twitter. It's hardly worth discussing. #fakenews

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah it's frustrating.

The narrative in the media that there's a bunch of haters due to the fact that she's a black women is false anyways. There were a few irrelevant idiots that made negative comments about it on Twitter. It's hardly worth discussing. #fakenews

Also, Star Trek has always taken the stance that you don't need to talk about these things because there is nothing to talk about. They've let the portrayals on the show do the talking for them. They have always presented what we consider "progressiveness" as normal. It bothers me that anyone in the media is spending too much time asking about this stuff, because it points out that it's different when that isn't what Star Trek has ever been about.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Please tell me that in that clip they didn't walk around the desert to make the starfleet logo.

A) the entire sky was covered in super dense cloud that would obstruct the view of anyone looking down from orbit

B) its ****ing ridiculous that they would take a capital ship into the atmosphere of a planet to look for two crewmen when they could use shuttle crafts or.......

3) SENSORS

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Please tell me that in that clip they didn't walk around the desert to make the starfleet logo.

A) the entire sky was covered in super dense cloud that would obstruct the view of anyone looking down from orbit

B) its ****ing ridiculous that they would take a capital ship into the atmosphere of a planet to look for two crewmen when they could use shuttle crafts or.......

3) SENSORS

...but it looks cool!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Maybe she'll eventually be Captain but Madge Sinclair will forever hold that honor from Star Trek IV, and again even though it was in the 24th Century, in 1991 as Geordi's Mom. Uhura also got the ship in that TAS episode when all the men got hypnotized.

Most of the main stream can't follow the basic plot anyways. You ask people who was the Captain of NCC-1701 in either TMP or WOK and they wouldn't know.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Turn off from the start. Star Trek has always been progressive as was mentioned above. TOS included the most diverse cast on TV. First interracial kiss.

She can stand on her own merit if she's believable and it might be clunky at 1st, TOS and TNG were. Problem is this show might not get another season to prove it, nor will there be that many watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad