TV: Star Trek returning to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's obvious its the alternate Kelvin universe, just look at the Klingons and the helmet reflections and the lens flares. It looks nothing like the Prime universe and everything like the new films.

#Notmystartrek

Obviously in style it imitates the new movies, which I don't care for, but I was hoping for a prime universe show like they promised. Everyone went dumb in the alternate universe and nothing makes sense with what they have done there, so placing a show in it will be terrible.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Obviously in style it imitates the new movies, which I don't care for, but I was hoping for a prime universe show like they promised. Everyone went dumb in the alternate universe and nothing makes sense with what they have done there, so placing a show in it will be terrible.

i was confused what Kelvin was for a moment - but that's what they call the new star trek movies right?

like i am so conflicted in what to do. watch and help support trek, and hopefully, the show does well.
or not watch trek, and hope for the Meyer/Fuller series and that's the trek we like.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
i was confused what Kelvin was for a moment - but that's what they call the new star trek movies right?

like i am so conflicted in what to do. watch and help support trek, and hopefully, the show does well.
or not watch trek, and hope for the Meyer/Fuller series and that's the trek we like.

The USS Kelvin is the ship where Kirk is born and his father dies right at the start of 2009. I didn't know they used that as a timeline marker, but it makes sense I guess. That's the start of the butchering of Kirk's character they did in that movie though, and no I'm not just saying that because they changed things.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The word "Kelvin" is actually used in almost every JJ Abrams movie and TV show. It's the name of JJ's grandfather.

In Star Wars TFA Rey refers to "Kelvin Ridge" at one point.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Even if Discovery isn't prime, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be Kelvin Verse either. Some people are suggesting it's another new timeline.

Either way, if the rumor I posted is correct, CBS is never going to admit that it's not prime. They're just going to keep saying that it's prime even if it isn't following canon.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Even if Discovery isn't prime, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be Kelvin Verse either. Some people are suggesting it's another new timeline.

Either way, if the rumor I posted is correct, CBS is never going to admit that it's not prime. They're just going to keep saying that it's prime even if it isn't following canon.

So, like Enterprise essentially?:laugh:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Obviously in style it imitates the new movies, which I don't care for, but I was hoping for a prime universe show like they promised.

I think every Trek fan who has been around for awhile wants to see a Prime universe Trek show that continues after Voyager and Nemesis. The producers obviously want to get new fans who know only the new films and so they continue that look and style and then just tell everybody it's the Prime universe, lmao.

On top of that they spit on American fans by making us buy their exclusive crap pay to stream channel while the rest of the world gets it on a subscription to Netflix. Does anybody really want to see another prequel after Enterprise? I sure don't and I hope the show fails miserably.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
There are so many stories in the Trek Prime Verse that could be told.

1) During the Dominion War Worf tried to resign and go fight basically fight on the outskirts of the Federation. A series where the ships aren't shiny and they're in a perpetual state of war with the Dominion and pirates and slavers with no help coming. A group of fighters barely hanging on and the Federation doesn't care about then would be interesting.

2) Continuing the scene what about the frayed edges of the Federation where things aren't so good and the Federation is viewed more with suspicion then as a shining beacon.

3) A disgraced Captain bounced out of Star Fleet who becomes a smuggler or private enforcer for the Orion Syndicate.

4) Something in the mirror universe that shows the fall of the Empire and the rise of the Alliance.

They just seem to be rolling out the same old things and staying central to the original series, only DS9 was a bit more creative because it took place on a station that went nowhere.

And speaking of which, there have been two coup attempts on the Federation, once in TNG and once in DS9. In Star Trek 6 you had a shady cabal trying to start a war.

How about a series in the Prime Universe about a young Star Fleet intelligence officer caught up and then recruited by section 31?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The Kelvin was the name of the ship from the beginning of the first Abrams Trek. The one that George Kirk blew up on so we could have angry sorta-delinquent Chris Pine Jim Kirk.

The more I read about continuity and timeline setup, the more I'm convinced that they should've just said this was set like 70-75 years before original Trek. Saying the show is set around the early 2190s/early 2200s would've avoided all this continuity slog. because it could then be considered canonical for either universe.

Pulling dates from the Star Trek Wiki (Memory-Alpha.org). Green events are canon to both timelines, blue to the Abrams movies, red to the original tv shows/movies.

2155: The Coalition of Planets is formed, depicted in the finale of Enterprise

2233: The Narada emerges from a black hole and ends up in battle with the Kelvin, causing the Abrams Trek splinter timeline.

2245:
Original 1701 (no bloody A, B, C, or D ;)) Enterprise is launched under Capt. Robert April.

2250s-60s-ish:
Capt. Pike takes command

2258:
Events of the first Abrams-verse movie. Kirk is promoted immediately to captain of the Enterprise after the battle with Nero

2260:
Events of Into Darkness

2263:
Events of Beyond

2265:
Capt. Kirk (prime timeline) takes command of the Enterprise

There's like 80 years between Enterprise wrapping and the timeline fracturing because of Nero that they could've used to set this show in where they would've had boatloads of freedom to do whatever they want without consequence. Instead they're alleging that this is "10 years before Kirk and Spock" which, presuming they mean 10 years before the two of them are together on the Enterprise in the events of the original show, puts it somewhere in the neighborhood of 2255. This means that the show is taking place in and around Pike's Enterprise missions (but possibly/presumably before Spock was assigned there) Which feels like it's going to make a mess of things because now you're kind of tangled up in whatever things are happening in the area around TOS' premiere and first run of episodes.

Also I don't think the stylistic choices of the Klingons or whatever have to matter in terms of determining the universe. Not any more than the stylistic differences between TOS and TNG matter (smooth headed "mongolian" Klingons vs ridge-heads, smooth-headed, identical-to-Vulcan romulans vs the "v-ridge" forehead Romulans of TNG) or even the more radical changes from TOS to the first 6 movies. Just because everything looks evocative of the Abrams stuff doesn't mean it has to be Abrams-verse. It's just as likely that they decided to pull from those movies just because they figure that casual non-Trekkie fans would mostly know of the Abrams movies and not all the other works and this would feel more familiar and inviting to them.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
There are so many stories in the Trek Prime Verse that could be told.

1) During the Dominion War Worf tried to resign and go fight basically fight on the outskirts of the Federation. A series where the ships aren't shiny and they're in a perpetual state of war with the Dominion and pirates and slavers with no help coming. A group of fighters barely hanging on and the Federation doesn't care about then would be interesting.

2) Continuing the scene what about the frayed edges of the Federation where things aren't so good and the Federation is viewed more with suspicion then as a shining beacon.

3) A disgraced Captain bounced out of Star Fleet who becomes a smuggler or private enforcer for the Orion Syndicate.

4) Something in the mirror universe that shows the fall of the Empire and the rise of the Alliance.

They just seem to be rolling out the same old things and staying central to the original series, only DS9 was a bit more creative because it took place on a station that went nowhere.

And speaking of which, there have been two coup attempts on the Federation, once in TNG and once in DS9. In Star Trek 6 you had a shady cabal trying to start a war.

How about a series in the Prime Universe about a young Star Fleet intelligence officer caught up and then recruited by section 31?

#3 is something i have said for a long long time. that would be something.
#2 would be great too

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The Kelvin was the name of the ship from the beginning of the first Abrams Trek. The one that George Kirk blew up on so we could have angry sorta-delinquent Chris Pine Jim Kirk.

The more I read about continuity and timeline setup, the more I'm convinced that they should've just said this was set like 70-75 years before original Trek. Saying the show is set around the early 2190s/early 2200s would've avoided all this continuity slog. because it could then be considered canonical for either universe.

Pulling dates from the Star Trek Wiki (Memory-Alpha.org). Green events are canon to both timelines, blue to the Abrams movies, red to the original tv shows/movies.

2155: The Coalition of Planets is formed, depicted in the finale of Enterprise

2233: The Narada emerges from a black hole and ends up in battle with the Kelvin, causing the Abrams Trek splinter timeline.

2245:
Original 1701 (no bloody A, B, C, or D ;)) Enterprise is launched under Capt. Robert April.

2250s-60s-ish:
Capt. Pike takes command

2258:
Events of the first Abrams-verse movie. Kirk is promoted immediately to captain of the Enterprise after the battle with Nero

2260:
Events of Into Darkness

2263:
Events of Beyond

2265:
Capt. Kirk (prime timeline) takes command of the Enterprise

There's like 80 years between Enterprise wrapping and the timeline fracturing because of Nero that they could've used to set this show in where they would've had boatloads of freedom to do whatever they want without consequence. Instead they're alleging that this is "10 years before Kirk and Spock" which, presuming they mean 10 years before the two of them are together on the Enterprise in the events of the original show, puts it somewhere in the neighborhood of 2255. This means that the show is taking place in and around Pike's Enterprise missions (but possibly/presumably before Spock was assigned there) Which feels like it's going to make a mess of things because now you're kind of tangled up in whatever things are happening in the area around TOS' premiere and first run of episodes.

Also I don't think the stylistic choices of the Klingons or whatever have to matter in terms of determining the universe. Not any more than the stylistic differences between TOS and TNG matter (smooth headed "mongolian" Klingons vs ridge-heads, smooth-headed, identical-to-Vulcan romulans vs the "v-ridge" forehead Romulans of TNG) or even the more radical changes from TOS to the first 6 movies. Just because everything looks evocative of the Abrams stuff doesn't mean it has to be Abrams-verse. It's just as likely that they decided to pull from those movies just because they figure that casual non-Trekkie fans would mostly know of the Abrams movies and not all the other works and this would feel more familiar and inviting to them.

It just makes it like they want to validate the movies, vs. moving on with something new

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The new movies are crap and I'm saying this while I like the cast they settled on.

Kirk going from suspended cadet to Enterprise captain in one movie was beyond stupid. If they wanted to show him as a cadet, fine but then flash forward like 5-10 years.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The new movies are crap and I'm saying this while I like the cast they settled on.

Kirk going from suspended cadet to Enterprise captain in one movie was beyond stupid. If they wanted to show him as a cadet, fine but then flash forward like 5-10 years.

Both Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness were written terribly. Beyond is better, but still has some glaring issues.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm not totally defending the choices here, but nearly everyone on the Enterprise was a cadet at that moment because the rest of the fleet was out helping the Klingons (which is why I don't totally defend it. Plot convenience). The Enterprise wasn't even supposed to be out of space dock as it was. So, if you're Captain Pike and the entirety of your crew with the exception of your first officer, chief engineer and possibly your chief medical officer (Bones doesn't seem to be a cadet) are still cadets, who do you choose for a command role? The rest is just Starfleet allowing him to keep a battlefield commission essentially in gratitude for saving the planet.

I'm pretty certain that Kirk is also technically a Lieutenant at that time. You can be a cadet and hold rank at the same time.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm not totally defending the choices here, but nearly everyone on the Enterprise was a cadet at that moment because the rest of the fleet was out helping the Klingons (which is why I don't totally defend it. Plot convenience). The Enterprise wasn't even supposed to be out of space dock as it was. So, if you're Captain Pike and the entirety of your crew with the exception of your first officer, chief engineer and possibly your chief medical officer (Bones doesn't seem to be a cadet) are still cadets, who do you choose for a command role? The rest is just Starfleet allowing him to keep a battlefield commission essentially in gratitude for saving the planet.

I'm pretty certain that Kirk is also technically a Lieutenant at that time. You can be a cadet and hold rank at the same time.

meh I get it and don't care for it. It doesn't jive with traditional Star Trek. Didn't care for the fight with Spock, beaming people across the galaxy. Kirk landing on a planet within walking distance of Scotty and Spock...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The fact that it says TV-MA has me interested. I mean, how vulgar/violent is this show going to be?

My guess is that it won't be and that it'll be one of the tamest TV-MAs. I suspect that they put in just enough "mature" content to get the rating, so that they could use it to lure viewers in. I'm not totally sure how the ratings work, but it's possible that the Klingons simply looking menacing and acting aggressively could count towards a more mature rating. It could just be a lot of little things like that that add up... or it could just be one scene per episode (like a brief shower scene, like Enterprise' premiere episode had) that flags the whole episode as TV-MA. Viewers might be disappointed if they're expecting a really "adult" Star Trek, but that's total speculation on my part.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The first episode is going to be on CBS. Can you even show TV-MA on regular network TV?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yet another new teaser/promo clip.

This is the first one I've seen that I actually like.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/opinio...ok-forward-again-not-keep-revisiting-the-past

And that's because Discovery, like the new set of films, is built on nostalgia. The series is set around 10 years before the original Star Trek (and thus about 90 years after Enterprise). There's nothing inherently wrong with this – the idea of looking to the past to discover new things about the present is a common one in fiction, and can be done very well, and the new type of storytelling as well as the diverse cast are very intriguing.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Thanks. I agree 100% with the author. The problem is attention spans are too short for a new show to boldly go to an unfamiliar future. Mining Star Trek's past guarantees an audience will tune in, waiting for cameos and familiar references. Filling in the gaps is easier than building something new. A pity.

There's no real creative leadership behind Star Trek anymore. There are people capable of creating derivatives of already-established elements, but there's no Gene Roddenberry anymore, or even a Rick Berman or Michael Piller, who's willing to take a risk and create something new. On top of that, it doesn't help when there might be someone willing to do that and he can't because it's the studios who are scared of the risk.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There's no real creative leadership behind Star Trek anymore. There are people capable of creating derivatives of already-established elements, but there's no Gene Roddenberry anymore, or even a Rick Berman or Michael Piller, who's willing to take a risk and create something new. On top of that, it doesn't help when there might be someone willing to do that and he can't because it's the studios who are scared of the risk.

Maybe it's because of how the franchise was nearly destroyed by the last two TV series, both of which were somewhat risky and the risks didn't pan out (really their own damn fault). First, we're going to explore without the icon of the Enterprise and then, the risk of doing a prequel when certain technology is already better than what they had on starships in previous series. Failures in those series might make a lot of execs risk averse, even if it was the writing and not the premises that failed them.

If they can make a quality show while still somewhat playing it safer early on, maybe they can take more risks down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad